Michael Frolik

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Michael Frolik

Postby scals37 on Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:26 pm

I've been looking at this kid's stats, and some of the things people are saying about him. Personally the I think that if the pens are looking to keep their 1st rounder, they're gonna want a goal scorer-- what better place than to look at a czech kid thats been working with players like jagr.
scals37
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ville5 on Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:36 pm

If the offer is good enough, drop down 3 or 4 spots and take a sniper like Frolik. If not, Johnson's your man. You can always trade a Welch or Whitney for help on the wings. Teams always pay much more for stud d-men.
Look into trading Malone plus for a Chistov or Hudler.
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby scals37 on Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:42 pm

I hate taking chances on d-men like johnson, they take so long to develop, and sometimes-- you don't even know how theyll turn out based on the minor league team's performance. With a good offer, you can always bring good D into town through trade
scals37
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Michael Frolik

Postby Draftnik on Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:34 pm

scals37 wrote:I've been looking at this kid's stats, and some of the things people are saying about him. Personally the I think that if the pens are looking to keep their 1st rounder, they're gonna want a goal scorer-- what better place than to look at a czech kid thats been working with players like jagr.

Did you watch the WJC? Frolik sucked. He couldn't even get off the 4th line.

Woodleif and others were not saying good things about him after the WJC.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby netwolf on Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:10 pm

Draftnik wrote:
scals37 wrote:I've been looking at this kid's stats, and some of the things people are saying about him. Personally the I think that if the pens are looking to keep their 1st rounder, they're gonna want a goal scorer-- what better place than to look at a czech kid thats been working with players like jagr.

Did you watch the WJC? Frolik sucked. He couldn't even get off the 4th line.

Woodleif and others were not saying good things about him after the WJC.

He was ranked high before the tournament right? I know he stunk there and remember Woodlief talking about it in his USA Today column, but I thought he was still in RLR's top 10. I know the WJCs are the big measuring stick of draft-eligible prospects and laying an egg there is not ideal, but does one poor showing erase whatever they saw of him up to that point? I think RLR had him as high as 4 at one point. I did not see the WJC and didn't follow it very close at all.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:13 pm

RLR has him at #8 currently.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MrKnowNothing on Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:15 pm

He was not good in the WJC, but pretty much none of these prospects are always shining. I'd say he's still top 10 material for sure, but might be someone I'd steer clear of. He has the possibility to slide somewhat, but you never really know what will happen on draft day. Last year, Kopitar was a consensus top five pick in almost all draft sources, yet he fell to like eleventh for really no reason, other than maybe the fact that he's Slovenian.

If the Penguins are going to end up with a forward from this class, I hope it's Backstrom.
MrKnowNothing

Postby Draftnik on Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:23 pm

netwolf wrote:He was ranked high before the tournament right? I know he stunk there and remember Woodlief talking about it in his USA Today column, but I thought he was still in RLR's top 10. I know the WJCs are the big measuring stick of draft-eligible prospects and laying an egg there is not ideal, but does one poor showing erase whatever they saw of him up to that point? I think RLR had him as high as 4 at one point. I did not see the WJC and didn't follow it very close at all.

He went from 4 to 8 after the tourney:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/columnist/woodlief/2006-01-26-red-line_x.htm

I saw him "play" at least twice and he was invisible to say the least. The WJC are not the end all of the draft, but it is a good barometer to see most of the best 18 year olds play against their piers and kids a bit older. When the entire group is together at the same time it is a good measuring stick.

Johnson and Kessel are very good prospects. Ovechkin, Malkin, Crosby, etc do not come along every year, but that is no reason to trade down in the draft. Most analysts had those 2 plus Toews as the big 3 heading into the WJC and then considered the dropoff in talent very steep. As far as I know the consensus is still the same.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins