No love for Colby?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

No love for Colby?

Postby Mango Salsa on Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:46 pm

I read alot of post game reports and not one mention of the terrific game Colby played last night. He only had one point but was making things happen at both ends.

Great game for the youngster.

Wanna know what kinda player max Talbot will be in a few years?

Watch Eric Boguniecki.
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Shinoix on Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:17 pm

I agree, Colby stood out huge last night. Could have been one of his best, if not THE best game he played all season.

He was out there with confidence, he rocked St. Louis, he drove the net, he made great passes.

I really like Colby's game, he hits, he's got decently soft hands, he can pass, he goes to the net, he kills penalties.

I'm telling you folks, this kid is the real deal, this is exactly the kind of player I've been hoping we'd find.
Shinoix

Postby Bowser on Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:20 pm

I'm not about to annoint a third line winger as the real deal, sorry I can't do it.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby NIN on Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:32 pm

Oh God no Mango. Talbot is going to be better than Boggie. Whao.

As for Armstrong he is looking more and more like a top 6 forward at the NHL level every game. He distributes the puck with alot of accuracy but the biggest improvements in playmaking is his thinking out there. He is making smarter discissions with the puck and making up his mind alittle quicker each game.
NIN

Postby netwolf on Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:49 pm

From what I've seen, Talbot's high end is a 3rd line center. 4th line may be more realistic though. Hustles, agitates, good energy guy. Reminds me of Tyler Wright with less fighting.

Armstrong projects (IMO) to be an excellent 3rd line winger on a good team or a fair 2nd line winger on a bad one.

Both play the type of game to become fan favorites though.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shinoix on Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:24 pm

by the REal Deal, i mean a solid 2nd or 3rd liner that can score, check, hit, go to the net, kill penalties.

He'll be one of our more valuable players in the near future.
Shinoix

Postby Steve Latin on Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:58 pm

Too bad he has terrible taste in TV. The Real World? Everyone Loves Raymond? Come on, kid!
Steve Latin

Postby Mango Salsa on Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:51 pm

netwolf wrote: Hustles, agitates, good energy guy. Reminds me of Tyler Wright with less fighting.

I thought the same thing about the Tyler Wright comparison, but used Bogie 'cause alot of newer fans prolly don't remember Wright.
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby jmh70 on Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:02 pm

Army may play well on occasion, but he has no business on the top line. The only thing he does is go offside and slow down Recchi and Crosby. He'll also never score enough to be on the top two lines of a good team.
jmh70

Postby Henry Hank on Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:09 pm

I agree that Armstrong doesn't belong on the top line. He's still looking like a very valuable role player, the kind a Cup-winning team has. Third line RW seems to be the perfect fit for him. The sooner we have the depth to put him in that role, the sooner this team will see improvement.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby fourtKNOX on Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:16 pm

Henry Hank wrote:I agree that Armstrong doesn't belong on the top line. He's still looking like a very valuable role player, the kind a Cup-winning team has. Third line RW seems to be the perfect fit for him. The sooner we have the depth to put him in that role, the sooner this team will see improvement.

great call... does that mean we need 4 or 5 wingers though... uhhhh yeah... i believe colby adds the physical presence on sids line that is needed... he causes turn overs for rex and sid, and has the pass and hands to contribute on the line... i think he may be on the line a year early or playing in the nhl a year early... but he is learning and that is awesome!
fourtKNOX
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby netwolf on Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:39 pm

fourtKNOX wrote:reat call... does that mean we need 4 or 5 wingers though... uhhhh yeah... i believe colby adds the physical presence on sids line that is needed... he causes turn overs for rex and sid, and has the pass and hands to contribute on the line... i think he may be on the line a year early or playing in the nhl a year early... but he is learning and that is awesome!

This isn't a dig on Colby, but when a team is relying on a 23 y/o rookie that weighs 190 soaking wet to be the physical presence on their top line, it's further evidence of roster issues.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby fourtKNOX on Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:42 pm

netwolf wrote:
fourtKNOX wrote:reat call... does that mean we need 4 or 5 wingers though... uhhhh yeah... i believe colby adds the physical presence on sids line that is needed... he causes turn overs for rex and sid, and has the pass and hands to contribute on the line... i think he may be on the line a year early or playing in the nhl a year early... but he is learning and that is awesome!

This isn't a dig on Colby, but when a team is relying on a 23 y/o rookie that weighs 190 soaking wet to be the physical presence on their top line, it's further evidence of roster issues.

agreed... totally... but if he is the only one willing... and able for that fact... how many guys have you seeen him level in the past week... 3 or 4... and well he can put the pounds on in the off season... his hands are decent... can skate... has a ton of energy... if he can get stronger and heavier in the offseason... i like what he does!
fourtKNOX
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby netwolf on Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:46 pm

Mango Salsa wrote:
netwolf wrote: Hustles, agitates, good energy guy. Reminds me of Tyler Wright with less fighting.

I thought the same thing about the Tyler Wright comparison, but used Bogie 'cause alot of newer fans prolly don't remember Wright.

I think Wright was more into the physical stuff and Boguniecki is a little more of a scorer. I went with Wright for those reasons and because he was a center. :)
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins