Scuderi just got boarded with his head down and no call

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby NIN on Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:53 pm

Zach6668 wrote:Man, Koltsov is really impressing me lately. He looked like a dissappointment earlier. His speed is unreal.

- Zach

He is a hard working player that is for sure. He will do all the little things, I think he would be a remarkable PK guy but nobody is willing to give him a consistant shot at it and I don't know why. Malone, Ednicott, and Recchi over one of the hardest working players on the team?

No wonder the PK is dead last.
NIN

Postby jmh70 on Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:59 pm

Having Jackman and Cross on the ice at the same time is like begging the other team to score.
jmh70

Postby Jamie on Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:03 pm

We are having a hard time with puck possession tonight. Of course when we take as many penalties as we have that is a hard feat.
Jamie
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Bowser on Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:08 pm

Major DIVE by Caps player.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Jamie on Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:09 pm

Wow, we are getting the short end of it tonight.
Jamie
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jamie on Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:10 pm

Another softie by Caron
Jamie
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BurghThing on Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:10 pm

This team takes the stupidest laziest penalties I've ever seen. And they always act surprised. Like hooking is something BRAND SPANKING NEW they haven't been called for ALL FRELLING YEAR.
BurghThing
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby NIN on Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:10 pm

Ovechkin is so sneaky. Just look at that release.
NIN

Postby Bowser on Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:11 pm

nice play by AO but Caron has to stop that puck.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby BJL on Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:13 pm

Anybody notice the shots and the penalties? Ouch.
BJL
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby BurghThing on Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:37 pm

Why does this team refuse to shoot the puck?
BurghThing
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jamie on Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:41 pm

BurghThing wrote:Why does this team refuse to shoot the puck?

We can't hold on to it long enough to shoot. Our TOP is atrocious. No offensive zone possession=very few shots which= no offense
Jamie
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby jmh70 on Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:45 pm

The penalty situation is inexcusable. 7 obstruction penalties, mostly by the usual pylons such as Cross, Jackman, and that large sack of sh-t that I refuse to mention by name.
jmh70

Postby fourtKNOX on Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:50 pm

jmh70 wrote:Having Jackman and Cross on the ice at the same time is like begging the other team to score.

i actually thought cross played well tonight... didnt do anything to deserve a scratch the next game with brooks out one more...

think cross might fit in on the d... if we can get a solid one in the off season... call me crazy or just drinking to much but joe, serg, ryan, and brooks have stepped it up and think are going to be alright next year... so i think you can throw a solid d man in the off season... then continue with cross bring up welch or another storng rookie... and we will be strides ahead of this year... dont forget ppl alot of the d playing right now is still young... or trying to get used to this new nhl... and their new style...

i have hopes... so should you! :roll: :P
fourtKNOX
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:54 pm

Cross is awful. He may be the worst of all the defensemen the Pens have had this season. There's no excuse for him to be back next year. Unless this team drops the crap like Cross, Melichar, Jackman, etc. they aren't going to improve.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby fourtKNOX on Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:55 pm

Henry Hank wrote:Cross is awful. He may be the worst of all the defensemen the Pens have had this season. There's no excuse for him to be back next year. Unless this team drops the crap like Cross, Melichar, Jackman, etc. they aren't going to improve.

what did he do so wrong tonight... give me an example... maybe i was watching the philly game! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
fourtKNOX
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby fourtKNOX on Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:04 pm

fourtKNOX wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:Cross is awful. He may be the worst of all the defensemen the Pens have had this season. There's no excuse for him to be back next year. Unless this team drops the crap like Cross, Melichar, Jackman, etc. they aren't going to improve.

what did he do so wrong tonight... give me an example... maybe i was watching the philly game! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

nothing henry hank... or u still on the box score! :?
fourtKNOX
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:08 pm

Nothing really stood out about Cross tonight for me except the penalty he took. But then, I was only half watching the game after the first period. Maybe he played a decent game. Have you watched his other games with the Pens? He's routinely gotten beat because he's so slow. There's a reason why he's been scratched regularly since he's been acquired. There's a reason Edmonton traded him for Dick Tarnstrom, who maybe is even worse defensively.

Sorry, but if you want to see Cross, Melichar, Gonchar, Orpik, and Whitney make up 5/6 of the D next season, this team is going to be just as bad as it is now. This defense needs to be altered signiticantly for this team to take off. Whitney and Orpik should get better with experience, and we can only hope Gonchar continues to round into some semblance of his former self, but the rest of the D is just bad. If the team isn't willing to let go of marginal talent like Melichar or crap like Cross, this will continue to be a poor defensive team.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby fourtKNOX on Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:13 pm

Henry Hank wrote:Nothing really stood out about Cross tonight for me except the penalty he took. But then, I was only half watching the game after the first period. Maybe he played a decent game. Have you watched his other games with the Pens? He's routinely gotten beat because he's so slow. There's a reason why he's been scratched regularly since he's been acquired. There's a reason Edmonton traded him for Dick Tarnstrom, who maybe is even worse defensively.

Sorry, but if you want to see Cross, Melichar, Gonchar, Orpik, and Whitney make up 5/6 of the D next season, this team is going to be just as bad as it is now. This defense needs to be altered signiticantly for this team to take off. Whitney and Orpik should get better with experience, and we can only hope Gonchar continues to round into some semblance of his former self, but the rest of the D is just bad. If the team isn't willing to let go of marginal talent like Melichar or crap like Cross, this will continue to be a poor defensive team.

melichar has played well for 75 % of the season... and the reason cross looke bad on the other 3 games he has played is because he was trying to figure out how to cover for the lack of d... but as a team... i feel the d men have stepped it up... being aggressive seems to be their thing... that might be because they are lacking on the d end... but the last 3 or 4 games... d men have stepped up being aggressive and have played well... thorugh out the goalie performance the last 2 games... and we have two legit wins... and dfense of effort was spectacular!
fourtKNOX
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:25 pm

The Pens allowed 41 shots tonight! Since the break, the lowest goals allowed total was four against Ottawa. They have given up less than three goals once in the last 26 games. They've given up less than two goals once. Once! Sure, the goaltending has been bad a lot of the time (especially when Fleury isn't playing), but the defense has been putrid all year, and hasn't shown any improvement. It's because of garbage defensemen like Jackman, Cross, Odelein, Tarnstrom, Poapst, etc. that this team has no D. They aren't going to get better without overhauling the D. That's it and that's all.

We can discuss the merits of Cross or Melichar or Jackman, but crap is crap. It's like Pirates fans arguing about Tike Redman in recent years. When you're arguing about garbage players like that, you know your team is in bad shape.

We're stuck with Gonchar, but he's been ok the last couple months. Whitney and Orpik will improve. I expect Whitney in particular to really pick it up next season. Welch will be up next year, but he's sure to have growing pains. I'd like to see the Pens dump the garbage and pick up a couple guys in the offseason who can play legit, solid, physical D. That's this teams absolute biggest need. They can keep a Melichar or Scuderi as depth as a seventh defenseman, but they shouldn't be in the lineup regularly.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby fourtKNOX on Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:29 pm

Henry Hank wrote: It's because of garbage defensemen like Jackman, Cross, Odelein, Tarnstrom, Poapst, etc. that this team has no D. They aren't going to get better without overhauling the D. That's it and that's all.

four of the five names u just mentioned i never mentioned about being the solid pieces in years to come... yeah i know they are not nhl all stars... by anymeans... but next year... u can put me on the books in saying the d will be greatly improved... they are gaining valuable experience...

gonchar/whitney/orpik/welch/cross/jakman... and if you pick up a solid d men then maybe you can get ride of a cross or jackman... but until then that is your most solid 6 or 7... no doubt about it... i like cairns and his presence... but to much of a liability...
fourtKNOX
AHL'er
AHL'er

funny

Postby penny lane on Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:16 am

Bowser wrote:I'm surprised Errey didn't blame that one on Fleury.

:wink: too witty
:o :o :o
the other fact from last night, AO is a big man with zero body fat!

Again last night Jani Rita played better. He is improving with ice time.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins