Takin a trip to Pittsburgh...few questions...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Takin a trip to Pittsburgh...few questions...

Postby Zach6668 on Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:31 pm

Just watchin the Pens game tonight, hopefully they can make a comeback.

Anyways, I'm from NW Ontario, and I'm makin a trip down to the 'Burgh for the Sat/Sun games against NJ and Philly. Since they are back to back games, my assumption is that there is no practice I can go to, and there is nothing listed in the practice schedule section of the site. Does anybody know what the story is with morning skates, etc? Are they open to the public? What time? Any info would be good. Also, are there autograph opportunities at all?

Thanks.

Zach

PS - for those from Pittsburgh... feel free to give some ideas for other stuff to do in town... it'll be myself (21 yrs old and my father). Thanks.
Zach6668
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Takin a trip to Pittsburgh...few questions...

Postby NIN on Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:36 pm

I don't know anything about practices or autographs but if your looking for great food and an unequaled selection of draft beers, I recomend Fat Head's.

https://www.fatheads.com/

Try the original flavored wings, best I've ever tasted.
NIN

Postby Zach6668 on Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:39 pm

NIN wrote:I don't know anything about practices or autographs but if your looking for great food and an unequaled selection of draft beers, I recomend Fat Head's.

https://www.fatheads.com/

Try the original flavored wings, best I've ever tasted.

Thank you.
Zach6668
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Twisted Wrister on Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:48 pm

If you wait long enough outside of the players lot, can't describe it, you can get most of the team to sign. Maybe someone here can help you out on how to locate it. And do you happen to post at FCP under the same name?
Twisted Wrister
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Zach6668 on Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:55 pm

Twisted Wrister wrote:If you wait long enough outside of the players lot, can't describe it, you can get most of the team to sign. Maybe someone here can help you out on how to locate it. And do you happen to post at FCP under the same name?

Actually, yes, I do.
Zach6668
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Zach6668 on Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:56 pm

Also, are you talking about after a game? or a morning skate for autographs? I don't even know what time the skate would be at...

- Zach
Zach6668
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:56 pm

Zach,

Tell me a little about what you're looking for... What kind of food do you like? Are you into scenery? Have you been to Pittsburgh before? Do yo uenjoy the blues or other music? History? Arcades? College life?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby NIN on Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:57 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:Zach,

Tell me a little about what you're looking for... What kind of food do you like? Are you into scenery? Have you been to Pittsburgh before? Do yo uenjoy the blues or other music? History? Arcades? College life?

Jesus Christ EPF! Give the man some breathing room. :)
NIN

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:59 pm

NIN wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:Zach,

Jesus Christ EPF! Give the man some breathing room. :)

Well if you're saying churches are what he's into, I can certainly give him a few first rate suggestions... :-)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby HomerPenguin on Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:59 pm

Zach6668 wrote:Just watchin the Pens game tonight, hopefully they can make a comeback.

Anyways, I'm from NW Ontario, and I'm makin a trip down to the 'Burgh for the Sat/Sun games against NJ and Philly. Since they are back to back games, my assumption is that there is no practice I can go to, and there is nothing listed in the practice schedule section of the site. Does anybody know what the story is with morning skates, etc? Are they open to the public? What time? Any info would be good. Also, are there autograph opportunities at all?

Thanks.

Zach

PS - for those from Pittsburgh... feel free to give some ideas for other stuff to do in town... it'll be myself (21 yrs old and my father). Thanks.

I highly recommend Station Square. There's nothing like it. It offers shopping options that can really only be found in any suburban shopping mall in the country, and the large mark-up lets you know you're getting quality product. If that wasn't enough, they have more cookie-cutter chain bars in one concentrated location that anyplace else in the region. It's a proven fact that Station Square alone draws millions, if not tens of millions, of tourists to the Pittsburgh region each and every...oh, let's say each and every month, tourists who often leave large piles of cash lying around because they're just dying to lose that money in slot machines but can't find any there yet. And you'll marvel at the clean air and lack of any sort of traffic congestion in the immediate vicinity; you'll think you're in the biosphere! After you've sampled the Elysian delights of Station Square, be sure to look in to purchasing a luxury condo in the city. It's a little-known fact that downtown Pittsburgh is home to around 52 million invisible people, which makes it the largest fake city in the world. Don't forget to see Grant Street, the home of the most efficient, uncorrupted, and caring city and county governments that have ever existed in the history of mankind.

Seriously, if you're into this sort of thing, the Warhol Museum on the North Side is pretty cool. If you appreciate a well-poured Guinness, the Harp & Fiddle in the Strip District is the place to go.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Zach6668 on Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:05 pm

I've been once before, in '98 I think. I think we hit up Station Square. We'll just be looking for stuff to do to kill some time in between the games.

If there are any good restaurants, I'm down for those. I love a nice draught beer, that's always good.

Any generic stuff is cool... I really don't know what I'm lookin for... lol

Thanks for the replies so far...

- Zach
Zach6668
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:20 pm

HomerPenguin wrote:I highly recommend Station Square. There's nothing like it....

LOL... In case you haven't figured it out Zach, he's kidding... Sta. Sq. is a complete waste of time (Unless you're looking for a Hard Rock Pittsburgh T-Shirt :-) )

HomerPenguin wrote:Seriously, if you're into this sort of thing, the Warhol Museum on the North Side is pretty cool. If you appreciate a well-poured Guinness, the Harp & Fiddle in the Strip District is the place to go.

I totally concur.

Two areas not to miss, one is the strip district, just walking around it on a nice Saturday morning is a unique experience. The only 'Farmers Market' that beats it IMHO is the world famous PIKE Market in Seattle.

The strip is great at night as well.

If you're into a less prentenous scene for nightlife, consider the South Side. There are some really good Blues Bars up that way. Pittsburgh is really one of the best places to hear live blues outside of Memphis, Nah Or'Lans and Chicago.

The Carnegie Museum can be fun if you're into that sort of thing... I think they may even have an exhibit of NW Ontario Eskimos (Just kidding)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby NIN on Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:29 pm

Zach, I am 33 years old and I have lived here all my years. I have never been to the Andy Wharhal meusam. My buddy Mike tells me it is nothing but a bunch of penis sculptures, pictures of the penis, paintings of the penis, hell even the faucets are shaped like penises!

I leave the choice to you my friend.
NIN

Postby Zach6668 on Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:32 pm

NIN wrote:Zach, I am 33 years old and I have lived here all my years. I have never been to the Andy Wharhal meusam. My buddy Mike tells me it is nothing but a bunch of penis sculptures, pictures of the penis, paintings of the penis, hell even the faucets are shaped like penises!

Lol... yeah, not my cup of tea.
Zach6668
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby HomerPenguin on Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:55 pm

NIN wrote:Zach, I am 33 years old and I have lived here all my years. I have never been to the Andy Wharhal meusam. My buddy Mike tells me it is nothing but a bunch of penis sculptures, pictures of the penis, paintings of the penis, hell even the faucets are shaped like penises!

Sounds like your buddy Mike wandered into one of the shops on Liberty Avenue instead of the museum. I hope you two are enjoying whatever he picked up there.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby NIN on Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:58 pm

HomerPenguin wrote:

Sounds like your buddy Mike wandered into one of the shops on Liberty Avenue instead of the museum. I hope you two are enjoying whatever he picked up there.

:shock: He told me it was a neck messager!

Are you saying there is no artwork of the man organ or are you just trying to let are Canadian friend know about some of your favorite attractions?
NIN

Postby HomerPenguin on Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:00 pm

NIN wrote:
HomerPenguin wrote:

Are you saying there is no artwork of the man organ or are you just trying to let are Canadian friend know about some of your favorite attractions?

I was there once for a reception and didn't see anything other than some paintings on the first floor. Maybe they put the phallic symbols upstairs. A lot of people seem to like the place, hence my suggestion.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:12 pm

HomerPenguin wrote:
NIN wrote:
HomerPenguin wrote:

I was there once for a reception and didn't see anything other than some paintings on the first floor. Maybe they put the phallic symbols upstairs. A lot of people seem to like the place, hence my suggestion.

Pay no mind to NIN. He's a known Homophobe. There my be one or two exhibits with a Phalic theme, so what? Lets just say that Andy Warhols works speak for themselves. They're the Monet's of our generation.

I assume you've seen the Marilyn Monroe prints? The Cambells soup cans? etc...

Don't you think it's funny how someone who loves NIN's music because ot makes others uncomfortable, has such a problem with real art?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby NIN on Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:27 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
HomerPenguin wrote:
NIN wrote:
HomerPenguin wrote:

Pay no mind to NIN. He's a known Homophobe. There my be one or two exhibits with a Phalic theme, so what? Lets just say that Andy Warhols works speak for themselves. They're the Monet's of our generation.

I assume you've seen the Marilyn Monroe prints? The Cambells soup cans? etc...

Don't you think it's funny how someone who loves NIN's music because ot makes others uncomfortable, has such a problem with real art?

Fair enough. I guess I don't have an eye for art or the Warhal things is just off my radar. I have looked at many a soup can and the only inspiration I get is wanting to eat it. AM I not high enough or is this just lame to me because I have to taste in art?

Not my cup of tea or bowl of soup.
NIN

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:36 pm

NIN wrote:Fair enough. I guess I don't have an eye for art or the Warhal things is just off my radar. I have looked at many a soup can and the only inspiration I get is wanting to eat it. AM I not high enough or is this just lame to me because I have to taste in art?

Not my cup of tea or bowl of soup.

Nothing wrong with saying it's "not my bag baby", but there's no reason to trash it.

I think if Zach is interested in art, he'd want to experience a museum dedicated to what's generally considered to be one of the greatest artists of the 20th Century.

Hey, I personally don't like Bruse Springstein, but I'd never say someone else shouldn't listen to him.

NIN, BtW, are you aware that one of Trent's musical influences (Lou Reed) was part of a band "The Velvet Underground" that was sponserd by Andy Warhol?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Zach6668 on Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:50 pm

lol... I enjoy your conversation guys...

I'm not a huge fan of art... lol...

I was really wondering about pregame skates, etc... I think I'll just call Mellon Arena when I get there...

The restaurant suggestions were very helpful, btw. TY.

- Zach
Zach6668
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:52 pm

Zach6668 wrote:lol... I enjoy your conversation guys...

I was really wondering about pregame skates, etc... I think I'll just call Mellon Arena when I get there...

- Zach

Zach, Don't expect the local hockey in the 'Burgh to be on the level you're used to up north... I lived in N.E. for a number of years and it really opened my eyes to how prevelant hockey is in hot beds like where you live.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Zach6668 on Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:02 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:

- Zach

Zach, Don't expect the local hockey in the 'Burgh to be on the level you're used to up north... I lived in N.E. for a number of years and it really opened my eyes to how prevelant hockey is in hot beds like where you live.

LOL...

We have Canadian University team... that is it... 6 hour drive to the closest NHL team, and that is Minnesota... and the Pens didn't even play there this year. I've been to the 'Burgh once before, and I really enjoyed the hockey and the city. There is nothing in the world like going to an NHL game, IMO, I've been to 4. One in Winnipeg, one in Minnesota for the North Stars, and two in Pitt in 98 or 99 or whenever I went... It really does not compare to anything up here. I know what you are talking about, with being a hockey hotbed, which Thunder Bay is up to the Junior A levels, but after that, there isn't enough of a population base to support even a Major Junior team, or a semi-pro team anymore.

I'm excited to see our Pens in action, even if they get blown away both games, and I know that the rink is still consistently packed, if not sold out each night, so it'll be a great experience.

- Zach
Zach6668
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby letsgopens87 on Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:18 am

- Zach

I don't think morning skates are open to the public..you could hang around outside and see if you can catch anyone leaving, but I don't know how that will work out for you. But, after games, in the players parking lot that is located below Gate One, you can catch a good amount of the team leaving after the game. They'll stop in their cars and sign autographs for a good amount of time. I think it's a lot of fun..normally the people there are nice and it's a really fun atmosphere. You'll see a group of people standing around holding jerseys and stuff, so just stand with them.
letsgopens87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:21 am

letsgopens87 wrote:[
I don't think morning skates are open to the public..you could hang around outside and see if you can catch anyone leaving, but I don't know how that will work out for you. But, after games, in the players parking lot that is located below Gate One, you can catch a good amount of the team leaving after the game. They'll stop in their cars and sign autographs for a good amount of time. I think it's a lot of fun..normally the people there are nice and it's a really fun atmosphere. You'll see a group of people standing around holding jerseys and stuff, so just stand with them.

If it's still in the same place it was in the 80's and early 90's it's on the southside of the Arena, near Center Ave.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins