Roberts to Pens?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby Corvidae on Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:53 pm

Guins wrote:Hey Kovy is on waivers supposedly

No, he's back from IR so the Canadiens put someone else on waivers.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby longtimefan on Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:54 pm

I was so mad after the Lightning game because the Pens got disrespected all over the ice

I've got to say, even though I've remained pretty much neutral about all the Laraque talk here, I certainly got a smile on my face when I thought about what he would do to Tarnasky. He would too. Even if you believe he's a pacifist, and doesn't like to play the enforcer's role, I understand that one thing that really ticks him off is when someone beats up a smaller teammate. Just admit it? Want him or not, the thought of him dropping Tarnasky puts a little smile on your face, doesn't it?
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby duke66 on Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:54 pm

Bowser wrote:Some of you just can't see the forest through your ear wax.

1. Gary Roberts proven playoff leader
2. Pens lack playoff experience.
3. Top end players are too expensive
4. Erik Christensen provides shootout goals, big deal.
5. Roberts is not the only player Shero is looking to acquire.

...agreed bowser...most of the arm-chair gm's on this chat board really don't have a clue of what they are talking about...they believe every guy on the pens roster as it stands now is pure gold...well i got news people, sid, geno, fleury, staal and to a lesser extent whitney are the real top end talent with youth, the rest as far as i'm concerned are expendable (i'm not including letang and some others in the minors or junior)...and if that's what it takes to get some veteran grit and leadership, then so be it...and all this negative talk of losing a number one pick is silly too...the pens will draft somewhere around 20th, and eventually the team needs to stop having potential first round draft picks needing to be re-signed down the road...so let's take a year off from drafting in the first...because if the pens stand pat at the deadline two things will happen:

a) they ain't going beyond the 2nd round if that far
b) when that happens the people i speak of with no clue, will be ******** and moanin to no end

...so let the REAL gm do his job, and let's see what kind of run we can make in the playoffs...peace out!...
duke66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Kovy27 on Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:55 pm

Corvidae wrote:
Guins wrote:Hey Kovy is on waivers supposedly

No, he's back from IR so the Canadiens put someone else on waivers.

Aaron Downey.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Ron` on Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:56 pm

Paulie_WalnutzII wrote:
Jesse wrote:
Paulie_WalnutzII wrote:
Jesse wrote:
Paulie_WalnutzII wrote:
King Sid the Great 87 wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:My point that they shouldn't overpay, particularly for a 40 Year old defense man still holds true. The message that this sends to a young impressionable team is not one that is positive.

They shouldn't pay anything for Gary Roberts. He isn't going to push them over the top this season, and he will be gone after that, so what's the point?

I can't even believe people are even on the fence about wanting this guy.

I'm on the fence. Waiting for him to start climbing so I can push him back onto a broken hip. The guy has heart, but has lost about 5 or 6 steps since last playing in the playoffs.

It's safe to say this team as a whole is faster than Florida. I question his ability to keep up.

Even our 3rd line has wheels.

All four lines have a decent set of wheels. I see Roberts being a little bit of an upgrade over Malone. But the fact that he will only be here for a couple of months has me totally against this. I'd like to see what Plan B is if Roberts doesn't waive the NTC.

I like Roberts and have always like him. But he is not the same player he was in Toronto and he's definitely not the same player that was in Carolina.

Paulie, do you think Guerin would serve as a better playoff mentor and player, even if the price is a bit steeper?

This entire deadline discussion is so different now that Atlanta has pulled the trigger in such an odd way.

Guerin could perhaps provide what Roberts would with more production, although the price might be the unreasonable part.

Better playoff mentor? that's hard to say since there aren't many leaders in the league like Roberts. Better player? By far. I like Roberts and all, but if you are just bringing him in for veteran leadership, I don't like the deal.

That being said, Recchi and Gonchar both have a good amount of playoff experience. If you want more with playoff experience, then Guerin has to be the top choice for the offensive needs.
Go back to Stillernation where you can claim to know anything about hockey. Your only here to troll for comments so you can pat each other on the back in your little inner circle. ****** of the week, so sad a commentary on your existence. Funny how no one outside your circle respects it even there.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby saints11 on Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:56 pm

Gary roberts adds to team toughness, but he's no Laraque, nor shoule we want him to be or need him to be. Roberts doesn't play like he is 40, much like Rex doesn't show his age. I do wish he was a right handed shot, but he has done things so well for so long we can live with it I'm sure. Whatever the case, i don't think Shero is done. I expect to see another forward, possibly Boyes, and maybe a defenseman or two.
saints11
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rocco on Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:58 pm

Is he really? Yes, he won a Cup all the way back in 1989 when he was a young guy for Calgary. He was one of the main guys on the recent Leafs teams that seemed to underachieve. He's spent the last two years inspiring Florida to more suckitude. What exactly has his leadership really done?

Sure. Does that really matter? And will one player really change that much when the entire team save Recchi is green? And if the Pens have one guy who knows what he's doing, isn't there a decline in the utility in any sort of "veteran leadership" Roberts would have?

Agreed. However, is overpaying for a middling player a better plan? I'd rather just sit tight, let the team get their feet wet, and come back next season.

He's just good enough to make me think he could amount to something, but not good enough to actually become a big-time player. He seems like a 4A player to me, but right now the Pens don't have too many guys floating around with goal-scoring ability.

That's understandable. And I think Roberts could be useful, but I'm not sure the Pens should really send someone currently on the team. I don't know how much Roberts will have to contribute. Supposedly, Ron Francis was going to provide Toronto with leadership and veteran guile in 2003-04. Instead he was washed-up and took a ton of heat from the press. I think something similar would happen with Roberts.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby EagleMorph on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:00 pm

Roberts could also feel similar to Recchi when it comes to playing with the youthful Penguins.

Recchi has already said in the past few weeks that he can't help but feel energized and loose with this team.

I would imagine that Roberts recognizes the potential of this team and is simply taking time to mull it over, perhaps talk to Coach Therrien and Ray Shero, maybe even to Recchi and some of the other key players on this team. If you have options, which Roberts does, you don't just accept a deal. You talk to people, mull it over, and do what's best for your family. Money is no longer an issue when you've been in the league this long...winning is.
EagleMorph
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Corvidae on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:00 pm

Corvidae wrote:

If it wasn't for EC in the SO, we likely wouldn't be in the Playoffs (only a five point cushion).

And what about my ear wax? :lol:

Self-quoted because I really believe that.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mattyj5571 on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:00 pm

just read from spector that the Pens have a reported "plan b" in place if roberts doesnt waive his no trade clause
Last edited by mattyj5571 on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mattyj5571
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:01 pm

Spector added the following update to his site about 5 mins ago:

GLOBE & MAIL: Hockey expert Eric Duhatschek weighs in with his take on the current situation involving Gary Roberts and the offer from the Penguins. Duhatschek notes the Penguins have a fall-back plan if Roberts decides not to waive the clause, although he didn't specify what that might be.

http://spectorshockey.tripod.com/specto ... mours.html

A snippet from Globe & Mail article:

Either way, Pittsburgh will ask for his decision far enough in advance of Tuesday’s 3 p.m. Eastern trading deadline so that if Roberts doesn’t agree to go, they can fall back on a plan B that they've already got in place, according to sources familiar with the negotiations.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/blogs/duhatschekblog

I would expect to hear something later tonight or early tomorrow morning. Roberts took his time at the beginning of the season contemplating retirement when a deal couldn't be reached with Toronto or Ottawa, I'm sure he'll do the same thing here.
Last edited by FLPensFan on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FLPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Guins on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:02 pm

mattyj5571 wrote:just read from spector that the Pens have a reported "plan b" in place if roberts doesnt waive his no trade clause

I have that story posted in this thread somewhere pittsburghsportsinsider has the story
Guins

Postby mattyj5571 on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:03 pm

Guins wrote:
mattyj5571 wrote:just read from spector that the Pens have a reported "plan b" in place if roberts doesnt waive his no trade clause

I have that story posted in this thread somewhere pittsburghsportsinsider has the story

my fault must have missed it.
mattyj5571
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Paulie_WalnutzII on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:03 pm

saints11 wrote:Gary roberts adds to team toughness, but he's no Laraque, nor shoule we want him to be or need him to be. Roberts doesn't play like he is 40, much like Rex doesn't show his age. I do wish he was a right handed shot, but he has done things so well for so long we can live with it I'm sure. Whatever the case, i don't think Shero is done. I expect to see another forward, possibly Boyes, and maybe a defenseman or two.

Roberts playstyle has me a little hesitant to take him just for the simple fact that he's one good hit away from a season ending injury. He doesn't play like he's 40, but lets face it, he's not the same player he was before the lockout. He's a tremendous leader, but I'm not sure it's something on which the team takes a chance. We shall see. If it goes through, here's to hoping I'm wrong.
Paulie_WalnutzII

Postby Guins on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:04 pm

mattyj5571 wrote:
Guins wrote:

my fault must have missed it.

No problem ,this thread is going like wildfire 8-)
Last edited by Guins on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guins

Postby pensrule on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:06 pm

Got this from Hockey Leaks.com

Kovalev on Waivers...

Can't confirm yet but it's a rumour right now that is really heating up....

Also I can confirm Noah Welch is the player going the other way in the Roberts deal if it's ok'd...

Hold on folks...

--
Posted By Corey Johnson to Hockey Leaks at 2/26/2007 03:56:00 PM

So Welch it is...
pensrule
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Corvidae on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:09 pm

pensrule wrote:Got this from Hockey Leaks.com

Kovalev on Waivers...

Also I can confirm Noah Welch is the player going the other way in the Roberts deal if it's ok'd...

Hold on folks...

--

So Welch it is...

Kovy is not on waivers. He's playing tonight.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby magnum on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:11 pm

Ron` wrote:
Paulie_WalnutzII wrote:
Jesse wrote:
Paulie_WalnutzII wrote:
Jesse wrote:
Paulie_WalnutzII wrote:
King Sid the Great 87 wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:My point that they shouldn't overpay, particularly for a 40 Year old defense man still holds true. The message that this sends to a young impressionable team is not one that is positive.

They shouldn't pay anything for Gary Roberts. He isn't going to push them over the top this season, and he will be gone after that, so what's the point?

I can't even believe people are even on the fence about wanting this guy.

I'm on the fence. Waiting for him to start climbing so I can push him back onto a broken hip. The guy has heart, but has lost about 5 or 6 steps since last playing in the playoffs.

It's safe to say this team as a whole is faster than Florida. I question his ability to keep up.

Even our 3rd line has wheels.

All four lines have a decent set of wheels. I see Roberts being a little bit of an upgrade over Malone. But the fact that he will only be here for a couple of months has me totally against this. I'd like to see what Plan B is if Roberts doesn't waive the NTC.

I like Roberts and have always like him. But he is not the same player he was in Toronto and he's definitely not the same player that was in Carolina.

Paulie, do you think Guerin would serve as a better playoff mentor and player, even if the price is a bit steeper?

This entire deadline discussion is so different now that Atlanta has pulled the trigger in such an odd way.

Guerin could perhaps provide what Roberts would with more production, although the price might be the unreasonable part.

Better playoff mentor? that's hard to say since there aren't many leaders in the league like Roberts. Better player? By far. I like Roberts and all, but if you are just bringing him in for veteran leadership, I don't like the deal.

That being said, Recchi and Gonchar both have a good amount of playoff experience. If you want more with playoff experience, then Guerin has to be the top choice for the offensive needs.
Go back to Stillernation where you can claim to know anything about hockey. Your only here to troll for comments so you can pat each other on the back in your little inner circle. ****** of the week, so sad a commentary on your existence. Funny how no one outside your circle respects it even there.

:lol: :lol:

I think Wallie Nonutz conveniently ignored the playoff numbers/stats that Draftnik provided for us about Guerin and how Guerin is pretty poor in the playoffs and outside of that is a problem player.

As for Robert, I'm holding off an commentary on him until I see what we traded for him. Gary Roberts is a beast. Unlike Guerin, Roberts style and experience is valuable for ths team for the playoff push and in the playoffs. He won't be here next year so if we end up giving up someone that isn't going to be here next year then great.

The only issue I have with giving up Christensen for Roberts is that you would think that Christensen could be more valuable in a package or something to get a younger player that could be here for a while than a rental. Ryan Malone I could care less. They could trade him away for Roberts, he's had 3 seasons to prove himself and it's pretty clear what he is here.
magnum
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Guins on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:12 pm

Wallie Nonutz, Now that is classic!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Guins

Postby conforto45 on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:12 pm

Corvidae wrote:
pensrule wrote:Got this from Hockey Leaks.com

Kovalev on Waivers...

Hold on folks...

--

So Welch it is...

from the Canadiens website...

Kovy comes back:
Sidelined for the last seven games with an elbow injury, Alex Kovalev will return to the lineup tonight. His presence on the ice is a timely one as the Russian forward, who celebrated his 34th birthday on Saturday, is the Canadiens’ leading scorer against the Maple Leafs this season. In five games, Kovalev has picked up five assists, bringing his career totals to 44 points in 40 contests
Kovy is not on waivers. He's playing tonight.
conforto45
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KG on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:12 pm

Welch? ouch...So much for RS saying he's not dealing the young talent. He has soured on him totally...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pensrule on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:12 pm

As for Robert, I'm holding off an commentary on him until I see what we traded for him. Gary Roberts is a beast. Unlike Guerin, Roberts style and experience is valuable for ths team for the playoff push and in the playoffs. He won't be here next year so if we end up giving up someone that isn't going to be here next year then great.

The only issue I have with giving up Christensen for Roberts is that you would think that Christensen could be more valuable in a package or something to get a younger player that could be here for a while than a rental. Ryan Malone I could care less. They could trade him away for Roberts, he's had 3 seasons to prove himself and it's pretty clear what he is here.[/quote]

Welch is the trade piece going from the Pens.
pensrule
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby bse on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:13 pm

I predict the trade is Roberts for Maxime Talbot
bse
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pipes Hochuli on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:14 pm

then i would predict a lot of upset pens fans
Pipes Hochuli
AHL'er