Roberts to Pens?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby tonysoprano on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:22 pm

KG wrote:Welch? ouch...So much for RS saying he's not dealing the young talent. He has soured on him totally...

Welch is hardly "young"
tonysoprano
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Guins on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:22 pm

Bowser wrote:According to a league source, Pens have asked Roberts to make a decision by 9 pm eastern. They have a few other things in the fire that hinge on the deal with Florida and Roberts waiving his NTC.

Pens are balking at the price Phoenix wants for Georges Laraque as the Pens have had more interest in defenseman Nick Boynton.

That's Cool Bowser, I didn't want GL in the 1st place.rather have Boynton
Guins

Postby Corvidae on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:23 pm

Pipes Hochuli wrote:
KG wrote:I'm surprised nobody is flipping out over Welch's name being the rumored piece...lets hear it

i'd rather spend my time being excited about letang and goligoski than spend it missing noah welch

Welch is 24 and can't crack the lineup of one of a team that features Melichar and Scudari on the blueline. I wouldn't be to upset if he was dealt.
Last edited by Corvidae on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby EagleMorph on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:23 pm

Bowser wrote:According to a league source, Pens have asked Roberts to make a decision by 9 pm eastern. They have a few other things in the fire that hinge on the deal with Florida and Roberts waiving his NTC.

Pens are balking at the price Phoenix wants for Georges Laraque as the Pens have had more interest in defenseman Nick Boynton.

Thanks for the updates, Bowser.

I'll trust your sources before I believe a single media report. Even if nothing happens with the information from your end, it's always more logical and worthwhile discussing instead of some of the shlock from other sites.
EagleMorph
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mattyj5571 on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:23 pm

i was a huge welch enthusiast but i have to admit im really starting to wonder about him. its tough to tell not being able to see him play much though. i just cant understand with melichar, nas, and scuderi on the roster if he was as close as i had hoped why he wouldnt be on the roster, particularly before the streak. i mean i just wouldve thought he would be here getting experience over playing those guys.
mattyj5571
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Spikey on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:23 pm

Loaf31 wrote:
bse wrote:I predict the trade is Roberts for Maxime Talbot

I hope not, I REALLY, REALLY like Max

I'd be a bit disappointed if it were EC or Moore, but I'll be very upset if they trade Max. He's quickly become one of my favorite Pens.
Spikey
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby magnum on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:24 pm

Ron` wrote:Magnum I agree, EC could be worth alot more next year if he just makes minor strides along the boards.

I Agree which is why they have him playing on the 3rd line, so he can develop that part of his game... I'd hate to see us trading the kid especially for a rental before giving him a chance to wing the top 2 lines consistently
magnum
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Ron` on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:25 pm

magnum wrote:
Ron` wrote:Magnum I agree, EC could be worth alot more next year if he just makes minor strides along the boards.

I Agree which is why they have him playing on the 3rd line, so he can develop that part of his game... I'd hate to see us trading the kid especially for a rental before giving him a chance to wing the top 2 lines consistently
You can't teach those kind of hands :)
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby EagleMorph on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:26 pm

MarioLemieux1992 wrote:]boynton > laraque

For once, I agree with you. And it's not just because Boynton is a better player, but because the Pens needed help on the blueline before they need help with their forwards.

I think if you can pawn Ouellet off for Roberts and Malone/something for Boynton, then you're better off.

Or maybe Malone goes to Carolina with Erik Cole out again.
EagleMorph
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Bowser on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:27 pm

If the rumor is true, Pens might be getting one highly motivated 40-year old left-winger from Florida. According to one person, Roberts asked if Toronto was interested and Jacques Martin said Maple Leafs won't move a young player for him.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby mattyj5571 on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:27 pm

in shero we trust.
mattyj5571
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby crzymike on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:28 pm

Pipes Hochuli wrote:
KG wrote:I'm surprised nobody is flipping out over Welch's name being the rumored piece...lets hear it

i'd rather spend my time being excited about letang and goligoski than spend it missing noah welch
I coudnt agree more, well said!
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pipes Hochuli on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:29 pm

Bowser wrote:If the rumor is true, Pens might be getting one highly motivated 40-year old left-winger from Florida. According to one person, Roberts asked if Toronto was interested and Jacques Martin said Maple Leafs won't move a young player for him.

highly motivated and highly not an integral part for the present or future
Pipes Hochuli
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jesse on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:29 pm

Is Smolinski the "Plan B".

It'll be a crazy 20 hours, that's for sure.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Ron` on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:29 pm

Bowser wrote:If the rumor is true, Pens might be getting one highly motivated 40-year old left-winger from Florida. According to one person, Roberts asked if Toronto was interested and Jacques Martin said Maple Leafs won't move a young player for him.
If he's motivated and wants to sign for another year, that changes the compensation too. So many variables in this deal and a complete escape clause for either side.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby magnum on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:30 pm

Ron` wrote:
magnum wrote:

You can't teach those kind of hands :)

Or shot. He's the only forward we have that isn't afraid to shoot when he has the puck and his shot is pretty bad a--. He just needs to get better on the board work like you said, defense and then develope some chemistry with the Top lines.
magnum
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Ron` on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:31 pm

Jesse wrote:Is Smolinski the "Plan B".

It'll be a crazy 20 hours, that's for sure.
I sure hope not, no value target imo. Sit tight if Guerin or Smoke is all that you can purchase.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby magnum on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:33 pm

So, let's say that Welch is moved for Roberts. Gives us 3 extra forwards on this team and an extra d-man... What does he go after next? I'd love to see a defenseman and I like the Boynton rumors. As much as I like the Boyes rumors, it's getting a little crowded with forwards unless Shero can find takers.

So what are some ideas/thoughts floating around?
magnum
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Bowser on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:34 pm

Anyone listening to MM right now knows why he's a joke.

Gary Roberts plays an aggressive game, John LeClair was a passive joke in Pittsburgh.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Daniel on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:34 pm

arizonahotrock wrote:Name one Penguin defensemen that Shero has molded from solid prospect to dud? Not to say it isn't too late for Welch, but this is a new regime with an entirely different attitude on player development.

Well, in regards to Welch...maybe RS doesn't see much potential in him. I know he's like the next coming of Ulf on this board...but, let's face it...maybe he's just overrated.

It's too early to tell about what D-Men RS will have an impact on, but...I think it's too late for some...i.e. Melichar.[/quote]

Shero is in a good position of being able to see prospects from a different, unclouded perspective. At least for now. None of these kids are his draft picks, so he doesn't have anything at stake to get rid of them.

People have said that if Welch can't bypass Scuderi, Melichar or Nasredeinne that he has no worth. That isn't necessarily true, because Welch is better served playing top minutes at WBS. What is disturbing is that he couldn't make the lineup when Melichar and Eaton were injured. He very well could have gotten top minutes with Gonchar and/or Whitney, but the Pens chose another path.

The fact that he never played with Whitney/Gonchar shows me that Shero and/or Therrian has no confidence in his abilities to succeed in the NHL.
Daniel
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Ron` on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:35 pm

Bowser wrote:Anyone listening to MM right now knows why he's a joke.

Gary Roberts plays an aggressive game, John LeClair was a passive joke in Pittsburgh.
Go Stillernation!
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby KG on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:35 pm

I know it, this guy is a clown. To compare a warrior like Roberts to Leclair is a joke because they are old and don't skate fast...Dumb.
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Bowser on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:36 pm

Roberts comes here, Malone or Christensen will be traded. There's more interest in Malone (Car, Phx, Ott, Tor).

Smolinski probably ends up in Vancouver.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Guins on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:36 pm

KG wrote:

I know it, this guy is a clown. To compare a warrior like Roberts to Leclair is a joke because they are old and don't skate fast...Dumb.

He's as I have said for a long time a BUFFOON,Failed wresting dork
Guins

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins