Roberts to Pens?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby SportsFan on Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:31 pm

FROM SPECTOR:

TSN: Darren Dreger reported tonight during the second intermission of the Canadiens-Maple Leafs game that the Leafs have apparently offered the Florida Panthers a second and fourth round picks, plus a prospect defenseman, for Gary Roberts.

Spector's Note: Hmmm, interesting. The Senators started the day considered front-runners for Roberts' services, but after the Pens made their pitch of prospect Noah Welch, Sens GM John Muckler said he won't part with anyone off his roster at the deadline. With the Leafs making this offer, I'd say that would put them into the role of front-runner. We're still awaiting word if Roberts will waive his NTC regarding the Penguins offer.

http://spectorshockey.tripod.com/specto ... mours.html

I hope RS doesn't get in a bidding war for this guy like he did with Witt.
SportsFan

Postby MaddenFollower on Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:33 pm

too old too slow no way
MaddenFollower

Postby mattyj5571 on Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:33 pm

i agree, also before the streak while we were hangin around 11th or 12th in the division if shero thought he was anywhere near close i feel like he would have been playing over melichar, or scuderi but they stuck with those guys. that said i havent seen him play except when hes been with the team and im not exactly a good judge of potential.
mattyj5571
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Penultimate on Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:33 pm

I don't think RS has been contradictory. He has said he will not move players who are parts of the future. It seems, right or wrong, that RS does not consider Welch part of that future. Also, this team does need a more veteran presence for the stretch run and the playoffs. Free agency will offer a chance to get longer term pieces.
Penultimate
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Guins on Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:34 pm

MaddenFollower wrote:too old too slow no way

O.K. Flounder :roll:
Guins

Postby Tico Rick on Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:38 pm

Henry Hank wrote:It's only contradictory if you're assuming the Pens feel he is part of the future. It doesn't look like to me that they consider him a part of the future or any kind of top prospect. Given the way he failed to stick in Pittsburgh this season despite a few opportunities and given what Phil Bourque said recently, it doesn't look like Shero's very high on Welch at this point.

Double H, what did Phil Bourque say recently?
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby joopen on Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:39 pm

If Toronto did bump up its offer then RS should just drop the deal right now which I think he would. Attention now turns to Guerin. What about Owen Nolan again if Roberts is gone? Maybe package him up with Boynton or Morris (If anyone even says the other guys name on PHX I might snap). Makes a little more sense to offer Welch and a pick or 2 for that combo.
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby LexPenguin on Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:40 pm

SportsFan wrote:FROM SPECTOR:

TSN: Darren Dreger reported tonight during the second intermission of the Canadiens-Maple Leafs game that the Leafs have apparently offered the Florida Panthers a second and fourth round picks, plus a prospect defenseman, for Gary Roberts.

Spector's Note: Hmmm, interesting. The Senators started the day considered front-runners for Roberts' services, but after the Pens made their pitch of prospect Noah Welch, Sens GM John Muckler said he won't part with anyone off his roster at the deadline. With the Leafs making this offer, I'd say that would put them into the role of front-runner. We're still awaiting word if Roberts will waive his NTC regarding the Penguins offer.

Pull the plug on this non sense and start talking with Phoenix for Owen Nolan. I have always like him. He is younger and is having a better year than Roberts for crying out loud.
LexPenguin

Postby Draftnik on Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:41 pm

As I understand the CBA Welch will be a UFA in 2 more seasons. His birthday is 8/26/82. He will be 27 before 9/15/09, so the Pens effectively only control his rights for 2 more seasons after this season.

I think it is fairly obvious to everybody he will not contribute to the Pens playoff run this season unless there are a few injuries, so in reality he can theoretically help the Pens for the 07/08 and 08/09 playoffs if he develops into a legitimate NHL player.

Roberts for example or any other rental can help the Pens in the 06/07 playoffs, so trading Welch doesn't seem like that much of a sacrifice from that perspective.

I still don't think the Pens are poised for a Cup run and I think rentals can provide value that lasts beyond their time here, but Welch has obviously disappointed based on how he failed to step up this season and with his waiver eligibility expiring it probably makes sense to get something for him now instead of losing him on waivers in October.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:44 pm

definatly dont give any more then welch. it seems like draft picks this year are a dime a dozen..
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby cojac on Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:45 pm

A member of the Roberts camp, speaking on condition of anonymity, said late this afternoon that Roberts "is intrigued by the Pittsburgh situation" and is considering waiving the clause to come here.
cojac
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MaddenFollower on Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:45 pm

mac5155 wrote:definatly dont give any more then welch. it seems like draft picks this year are a dime a dozen..

They shouldn't be, I mean through Atlanta out of the equation because the move they made was absolutely insane. I'm not trade a top prospect or a no. 1 pick for someone like Roberts, I'd maybe do it for Guerin
MaddenFollower

Postby Tico Rick on Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:46 pm

Good point about losing him on waivers next year, Draftnik. Welch is too good to spend another year in the AHL next year, but he may not be good enough to secure a top-six spot on the Pens' defense.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Draftnik on Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:47 pm

LexPenguin wrote:Pull the plug on this non sense and start talking with Phoenix for Owen Nolan. I have always like him. He is younger and is having a better year than Roberts for crying out loud.

Owen Nolan blows. The year after he left SJ the Sharks advanced to the Western Conference finals (only time in franchise history) in 04, their first full season without his Captaincy in many years. The only playoff he played for the Leafs after they traded for him in 03 was the only year in 4 (01-04) they failed to advance past the first round. Nolan had 0 goals in 7 games and went down as one of the biggest flops in trade deadline history.

I'm a Roberts fan, but I can see the arguments against bringing him here. There is no logical case that can be made for bringing a piece of crap like Nolan here. Despite his being younger than Roberts, he doesn't even skate as well due to his extensive knee reconstruction. He doesn't bring the same intensity Roberts does. The way SJ improved without him and Toronto flopped with him makes more of a case against him than anything I can type. 4 goals in his last 25 playoff games.
Last edited by Draftnik on Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:47 pm

SportsFan wrote:FROM SPECTOR:

I don't think this is the problem as our deal is probably preferable to Toronto's. The only problem is Roberts' NTC.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mac5155 on Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:48 pm

MaddenFollower wrote:
mac5155 wrote:definatly dont give any more then welch. it seems like draft picks this year are a dime a dozen..

They shouldn't be, I mean through Atlanta out of the equation because the move they made was absolutely insane. I'm not trade a top prospect or a no. 1 pick for someone like Roberts, I'd maybe do it for Guerin

the only reason i say that is people are throwing around draft picks like theyre nothing. look at philadelphia, something like 13 draft picks already in 07? thats insane, along with the first one more then likely
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:51 pm

cojac wrote:A member of the Roberts camp, speaking on condition of anonymity, said late this afternoon that Roberts "is intrigued by the Pittsburgh situation" and is considering waiving the clause to come here.

If the rumors about Toronto offering picks for Roberts are true, Shero needs to go in another direction. I don't see Roberts turning down an offer from Toronto, it's what he's wanted all along, and Florida has done all it can to help him.
FLPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby marek on Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:51 pm

sometimes these supposed deals are made with a deal on the table in the background... Roberts wants to go to toronto... RS knows this...

which begs the question what does Toronto have that we would like to take on in exchange for Roberts?
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby joopen on Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:53 pm

marek wrote:sometimes these supposed deals are made with a deal on the table in the background... Roberts wants to go to toronto... RS knows this...

which begs the question what does Toronto have that we would like to take on in exchange for Roberts?

Darcy Tucker?
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Draftnik on Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:53 pm

marek wrote:which begs the question what does Toronto have that we would like to take on in exchange for Roberts?

Toronto is offering a bunch of crap young dmen that have lower stock than Welch.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Draftnik on Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:55 pm

joopen wrote:Darcy Tucker?

He just signed a 3 (4) year deal today. He loves Hogtown and isn't going anywhere.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tluke53 on Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:55 pm

If I don't post to this thread I will be like the only person enrolled at LetsGoPens to not post. :lol:

Anyway, you never seem to hear about the trades that actually happen. There are, of course, exceptions but if the pens make a trade it will probably be something none of us expect.
tluke53
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby joopen on Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:55 pm

Draftnik wrote:
joopen wrote:Darcy Tucker?

He just signed a 3 (4) year deal today. He loves Hogtown and isn't going anywhere.

I know he wasn't going anywhere but he is the only worthwhile thing I could see coming out of a deal with them.
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Tico Rick on Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:01 pm

According to this, Roberts is supposedly going to make a decision TONIGHT:

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/stor ... ockey/home
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby penny lane on Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:07 pm

Tico Rick wrote:According to this, Roberts is supposedly going to make a decision TONIGHT:

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/stor ... ockey/home

john ferguson hopefully will give a double pleasure
to leaf nation...tucker & roberts together.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins