Bob Errey has really improved

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Bob Errey has really improved

Postby NIN on Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:33 pm

I guess he was nervous being a color commentator early on. He annoyed the hell out of me for a time there but now that old #12 has got the emotions in check I think he is doing a fine job.

:o Hey, I do more than just ***** all the time!
NIN

Postby Bowser on Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:40 pm

consider yourself one of few people to think Errey has improved. He's one of the worst and most annoying color guys in the NHL.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

no way

Postby FuturePens on Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:49 pm

No way, he' was talking up on Ovechkin the ENTIRE night, he barely mentioned Crosby...
FuturePens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Bob Errey has improved

Postby lassic27 on Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:49 pm

Errey is so annoying..... I think he's worse this year then he has ever been.... Even Mike Lange is getting on my nerves on how he praises the opponent so much.
lassic27

Postby Jamie on Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:54 pm

I have to go with Eyore is annoying. If him and Lange mentioned that stupid pidgeon one more time, I was going to drive to the MCI Center with shotgun in hand, and make a red pidgeon stain on the ice :shock:
Jamie
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Stevens25 on Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:56 pm

I agree. Not only is he a bad commentator,but his voice alone just annoys me! Mike Lange,imo,is getting annoying too. I don't know why. I'd much rather listen to Steigy and Bourque on the radio than these two.
Stevens25

Postby eberhard on Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:59 pm

"Mikey, he forgot to take the biscuit to the cage, did The Kid!" Erry is the most annoying sports television personality I've watched. The radio guys are much better. To listen to Erry is to be peltered by cliches, exaggerations, inaccuracies...all delivered in that grating, sing-song voice. He has terrible instincts about basic things like interpreting referee calls or evaluating goaltenders. A trivial event will earn Erry's undying praise - like tonight's empty net goal - then he'll try to support his original call with no success. Yet something truly amazing will happen on the ice and it completely escapes him.

I'm not sure what is most aggravating: Erry's exaggerations about the OMGOMG amazingness of every opposing team? His old boy, fairweather treatment of veterans? How he somehow manages to mis-analyze the majority of penalty or goal judge calls?
eberhard
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Bob Errey has improved

Postby HomerPenguin on Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:59 pm

lassic27 wrote:Errey is so annoying..... I think he's worse this year then he has ever been.... Even Mike Lange is getting on my nerves on how he praises the opponent so much.

I get stuck with whatever station the Center Ice folks decide to run, and it's usually not FSN-Pittsburgh, so I can vouch for the fact that crappy broacasting is pretty much universal.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby wallflower on Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:59 pm

I cannot take much more of Errey. It has gotten to the point where I almost hope for the other team's feed on Center Ice just so I don't have to listen to him.
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby NIN on Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:00 pm

Stevens25 wrote:I agree. Not only is he a bad commentator,but his voice alone just annoys me! Mike Lange,imo,is getting annoying too. I don't know why. I'd much rather listen to Steigy and Bourque on the radio than these two.

Does Steigerwald still constantly whine and droone on about the officiating?
NIN

Postby fourtKNOX on Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:00 pm

wallflower wrote:I cannot take much more of Errey. It has gotten to the point where I almost hope for the other team's feed on Center Ice just so I don't have to listen to him.

you speak sweet music to my ears... although tonight and the tsn broadcasters routing for the caps... as if they are die hard caps fans was a little annoying!
fourtKNOX
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Stevens25 on Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:01 pm

I swear,I think both Errey and Lange spent 40% of the game talking about some stupid bird that was stuck in the arena. :roll:
Stevens25

Postby Henry Hank on Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:02 pm

Errey's ok. He's very critical of the team, but then, they play like crap most of the time, so what is he supposed to say? I'd rather he be honest they try to sugarcoat crap like some of the Pirates' guys do. Greg Brown really comes to mind there. Errey may complain a little too much, but I find it hard to really disagree with him most of the time.

Personally, I find it a little blasphemous to bash Mike Lange. Clearly, he's slipped a little, but he's a pretty old guy by now. I still love the way he calls games, and I can't imagine watching the Pens without him calling the action. He's still a great hockey mind.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Bob Errey has really improved

Postby Pitts on Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:03 pm

NIN wrote:I guess he was nervous being a color commentator early on. He annoyed the hell out of me for a time there but now that old #12 has got the emotions in check I think he is doing a fine job.

:o Hey, I do more than just ***** all the time!

I was just thinking a few minutes ago how much more annoyed at him I am. When he first started, I didn't mind him. Now, I can't stand him any more.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Stevens25 on Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:03 pm

NIN wrote:
Stevens25 wrote:I agree. Not only is he a bad commentator,but his voice alone just annoys me! Mike Lange,imo,is getting annoying too. I don't know why. I'd much rather listen to Steigy and Bourque on the radio than these two.

Does Steigerwald still constantly whine and droone on about the officiating?

Yes,he does but I kinda like that because at least is shows emotion on his part. It's like he's just a fan,like us.Steigy and Bourque both get upset when obvious calls go against the Pens;etc,etc. Lange and Errey don't seem to even care what happens on the ice,for the most part.
Stevens25

Postby jmh70 on Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:08 pm

The worst part is how Lange has to defend MAF against Errey's irrational and persistent attacks. It's embarrassing.
jmh70

Postby wallflower on Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:09 pm

fourtKNOX wrote:you speak sweet music to my ears... although tonight and the tsn broadcasters routing for the caps... as if they are die hard caps fans was a little annoying!

I was waiting for them to break out the Capital pom-poms and do a little cheer every time Ovechin was on the ice.
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby HomerPenguin on Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:13 pm

wallflower wrote:
fourtKNOX wrote:you speak sweet music to my ears... although tonight and the tsn broadcasters routing for the caps... as if they are die hard caps fans was a little annoying!

I was waiting for them to break out the Capital pom-poms and do a little cheer every time Ovechin was on the ice.

I got the feeling that they were doing something for Ovechkin, but it wasn't cheerleading per se.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Fast B on Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:15 pm

HomerPenguin wrote:
wallflower wrote:

I got the feeling that they were doing something for Ovechkin, but it wasn't cheerleading per se.

So they've been taking lessons from the Pens Patrol then?
Fast B
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:16 pm

HomerPenguin wrote:[

If you can name a more exciting player in the NHL right now, I'lll agree with your point, otherwise...
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Stevens25 on Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:18 pm

Is it just me or did it seem like Ovechkin was on the ice every other shift? Jeez. I'm really surprised he hasn't slowed down at all.
Stevens25

Postby HomerPenguin on Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:18 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
HomerPenguin wrote:[

If you can name a more exciting player in the NHL right now, I'lll agree with your point, otherwise...

Look, there's praising a guy because he's a phenomenal talent and then there's rooting or outright kissing the guy's ***. TSN's announcers are supposed to pretend to make an effort at being objective. Tonight it wouldn't have surprised me if they were both wearing Ovechkin #8 boxer shorts. If they can't or won't fulfill the requirements of their job then they should be replaced with somebody who does.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby netwolf on Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:31 pm

I hate homer announcers. Tom Grace drives me crazy. That does not mean, however, that I want to hear my team ripped up and down all night. I know the Pens are bad.

Some say Errey tells it like it is. I say he harps on the negative way too much. This far into it and he still doesn't realize that not every player in the league plays like he did and that not doing so is okay. Not every player is going to be a hard working, defensive player and believe it or not, some of those guys are actually successful.

Maybe since Edzo was so good at that job, Errey seems worse than he is. All I know is, I don't really care for him much.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby wallflower on Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:36 pm

netwolf wrote:I hate homer announcers. Tom Grace drives me crazy. That does not mean, however, that I want to hear my team ripped up and down all night. I know the Pens are bad.

Some say Errey tells it like it is. I say he harps on the negative way too much. This far into it and he still doesn't realize that not every player in the league plays like he did and that not doing so is okay. Not every player is going to be a hard working, defensive player and believe it or not, some of those guys are actually successful.

Maybe since Edzo was so good at that job, Errey seems worse than he is. All I know is, I don't really care for him much.

Thank you. You just entirely summed up everything I couldn't put into words how & why Errey drives me crazy.
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jerez on Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:31 am

netwolf wrote:I hate homer announcers. Tom Grace drives me crazy. That does not mean, however, that I want to hear my team ripped up and down all night. I know the Pens are bad.

Um, you trying to take my schtick here, 'wolf?

Can I just say "Buh-BYE Eeyore!"? :mrgreen:
Jerez
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins