Where isTherrien's Supposed System?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Where isTherrien's Supposed System?

Postby Mad City Mike on Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:12 pm

Games allowing 2 or less goals

Under Edzo: 5/31
Under Therrien: 3/32

Goals against average

Under Edzo: 4.00
Under Therrien: 4.13

That's some system he has them playing. You could understand if the offensive numbers went down due to them losing Mario and Palffy. But if he was installing such a great system, the defense should be improving. It's not. And keep in mind Edzo had Thibault in nets, while Therrien has Fleury. And then he has a week of intense practices after the break to install a system, and what happens? They allow 22 goals in 4 games. Yeah, he's some coach :roll: .
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby topshelf on Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:19 pm

agreed, but i am trying hard to not pass judgement on MT until after he conducts the camp. he walked onto a sinking ship and with the season winding down, players are getting tired. i'm sure the fact that they all know the playoffs are way out of the picture also adds to a lack of effort.
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pipes Hochuli on Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:20 pm

Agreed, but I've been more disappinted/embarassed at the goaltending, which after last night is the easy way out, i know i know..
Pipes Hochuli
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DelPen on Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:26 pm

I agree there has not been a system in place. But this does nothing to diminish the fact that Edzo was a horrible, horrible coach and Therrien might just be a bad coach, at least at the NHL level.

I did not like the idea of bringing up Therrien because he was doing a great job in WBS. Now he has lost his luster in Pittsburgh and WBS has kind of gone to the crapper with Mullen behind the bench. I'd have rather seen CP take over and go through motions until the summer.

Ideal situation would be both Malkin AND Dave King being in Ppittsburgh next season.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby freq019 on Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:30 pm

I said my part after edzo was fired, and everyone was dumping on him. Edzo may not have been the greatest coach but this team flat out stinks and Toe Blake couldn't get these guys into the playoffs. Its not the coach
freq019
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pipes Hochuli on Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:33 pm

so are you implying its the GM?
Pipes Hochuli
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby tluke53 on Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:35 pm

When are you guys going to stop blaming the coaching? :roll:

I believe they have a system in place. Watch the way the players move in neutral zone. They always move the same way with relation to the puck. Let's just face it, this team has two or three talented players, no one in their prime, and poor goaltending. The players just suck!
tluke53
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby freq019 on Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:45 pm

Pipes Hochuli wrote:so are you implying its the GM?

Most of these players didn't suck before they got here, so I don't soley blame him some of the blame has to lie in the players themselves.
freq019
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby netwolf on Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:42 pm

freq019 wrote:
Pipes Hochuli wrote:so are you implying its the GM?

Most of these players didn't suck before they got here, so I don't soley blame him some of the blame has to lie in the players themselves.

Many of these players have never been in the NHL before this year and some are only in their second season. That's not much of a smaple size to say they didn't suck.

It's a young team. Young teams are typically not that good.

And the lapses I've seen of the vets has almost always been their fault. It's not the coach's fault that Recchi chose to watch a TB player walk out in front, shoot, shoot and shoot again.

The one vet I'll cut some slack to is Gonchar (hear me out). In Washington, he was never a puck rusher. Here, he has been asked to be. A lot. He's never been good defensively, so I'm not docking him for play in his own end - I expected that coming in. The only real disappointment I have with him is goal production, and if he's playing hurt as some say, then that explains that too.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BacklashJack on Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:56 pm

Quit beating the system thing to death, it's almost as bad as Gonchar-bashing. A system does not on its own provide success, execution of a system does. The Pens do play a system, a 1-2-2 in the O-zone and pretty much a trap in the N-zone. The D-zone is a Box and One just like the majority of teams play. They play a 1-3 in the Z-zone on PK, etc. Systems don't matter on their own, it's the players executing them that make or break them.
BacklashJack

Postby Steve on Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:34 pm

I don't know why everyone thinks the "system" is some kind of magic-wand that will quickly fix our problems...

the Wild play a system pretty well, but it took two years before it worked....

Let's go Pens!
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Battleship Kelly on Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:45 pm

I was speaking recently with one of the Pens defenseman and I asked him about the differences in systems, between Edzo and MT. He said that MT's was a much more complicated system and seemed to indicate that it is taking the players a while to adjust. I let that part of the conversation go at that point, because he did not seem to want to discuss it any further.
Battleship Kelly

Postby Admin on Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:58 pm

Tikkanen wrote:I think the system is this...

Nah, it's the old Rope-a-Dope. Have the other team tire themselves out celebrating goals before starting to play.
Admin
Site Admin

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins