Kolanos, Nordgren and a 2nd for Rex

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Kolanos, Nordgren and a 2nd for Rex

Postby ville5 on Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:05 pm

nm
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby borohcky9 on Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:06 pm

where
borohcky9

Postby Stoosh on Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:06 pm

I can live with that, especially since it looks like Recchi's coming back next year.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Kovy27 on Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:06 pm

Kolanos and a 2nd...that is a really good deal for us!
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby In The Shadows on Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:07 pm

From TSN

The Pittsburgh Penguins have a pending deal involving Mark Recchi going to the Carolina Hurricanes in exchange for Niklas Nordgren, Krystofer Kolanos and a second-round pick in 2007.

Recchi must officially waive his no-trade clause for the deal to go through, but that is expected to happen before the deadline.

Recchi signed a three-year contract with the Penguins in 2004, returning to the city where he started his pro career.

The 38 year-old veteran ranks second on the Penguins with 57 points in 63 games. He's also struggled, like many in Pittsburgh this season, with a team -worst minus-28 rating.

With Hurricanes winger Erik Cole suffering a season-ending neck injury, Recchi figures to move into a prominent role up front with the Hurricanes, potentially joining Eric Staal and Cory Stillman on the team's top line.

The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review has reported that Recchi's contract status is actually quite desirable for next season because it features a two-way option: The team holding Recchi's rights could retain him by agreeing to pay him $2,228,000, and Recchi could trigger the option by agreeing to play for $760,000.

Recchi led Philadelphia in goals, assists and points in 2003-04, helping the Flyers reach the Eastern Conference Final.

He scored 20 goals or more in each of his last six NHL seasons.

Recchi won a Stanley Cup with the Penguins in 1991. He was later traded to the Flyers and played for the Canadiens from 1995 to 1999, before being traded back to Philadelphia.
In The Shadows
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Mad City Mike on Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:09 pm

Kolanos is damaged goods and is on his fourth team this season, including two stints with Phoenix. Worthless player.

Nordgren is a minus player on the Canes. THAT is hard to do.

But at least they are both right-handed :o
Last edited by Mad City Mike on Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby dman66 on Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:09 pm

nordgren has 6 points in 43 games

kolanos has 3 in 15
dman66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MrKnowNothing on Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:10 pm

I'm slightly intruiged by Nordgren, but I don't really like the deal much.

I guess part of it might be Recchi coming right back next year though. Which, if that's the case, we basically got three free assets since this year is over for us.
MrKnowNothing

Postby Tocchet on Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:11 pm

The WBS team is getting their wish b/c I'd believe that at least one, if not both, of these guys will be heading to NE PA.
Tocchet
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby HomerPenguin on Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:12 pm

Mad City Mike wrote:Kolanos is damaged goods and is on his fourth team this season, including two stints with Phoenix. Worthless player.

And Recchi's value is...?

I'm not defending Patrick. He's the one who brought Recchi back in the first place, after all. But really I think we might have had the bar set a little too high in this case.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby BJL on Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:12 pm

Kolanos is in the AHL right now.
BJL
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Steve Latin on Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:12 pm

CP is complete garbage. Hopefully his contract doesn't get renewed.
Steve Latin

Postby Kovy27 on Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:12 pm

Steve Latin wrote:CP is complete garbage. Hopefully his contract doesn't get renewed.

There is no way he is coming back.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Bright side

Postby OneTimer on Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:14 pm

At least we get two right-handed shooters
Last edited by OneTimer on Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OneTimer
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Hockeynut! on Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:14 pm

I can't believe anyone thought we were going to get a blue chip prospect for Recchi. Why would anyone give up anything of value for a guy who has only become productive over the past two months, who has a terrible reputation in the locker room, and who lately tanks in the playoffs? Earth to Pens fans, most contenders don't want to add a guy like that.
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby NIN on Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:15 pm

This trade could turn out better than the Jagr deal!
NIN

Postby JeffTZ on Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:15 pm

What were you thinking we were going to get in return? Recchi is a veteran player who is a year or two away from retiring.. so what do you realistically think the Pens were going to get in return? This move is fine.. and a bonus is, Recchi comes back next season.. then you get two younger guys a chance to succeed.. and if they don't.. what did you really lose?
JeffTZ
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jamie on Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:18 pm

JeffTZ wrote:What were you thinking we were going to get in return? Recchi is a veteran player who is a year or two away from retiring.. so what do you realistically think the Pens were going to get in return? This move is fine.. and a bonus is, Recchi comes back next season.. then you get two younger guys a chance to succeed.. and if they don't.. what did you really lose?

Where is the guarantee that Recchi returns next season? Frankly I don't want him back unless it is for 500k
Jamie
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:19 pm

From TSN.ca:

"Pierre McGuire on the Mark Recchi trade - He wants to go ot a team with a chance to win. If you are the general manager of a team that wants to win - you go and get this guy. He's a winner, he's a leader, he's a champion, and he holds people accountable in the dressing room. The biggest thing Recchi's got going for him - he's still got his hands, and he still has his feet coming down the wing. You put him with an elite centre ice-man and Recchi will make a difference on your team. Carolina is a team with an injury situation in Erik Cole. There is a familiarity here. Recchi knows Rod Brind'Amour, he knows Justin Williams, and Peter Laviolette's system should really help incorporate Recchi's speed."
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Samuelsson on Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:19 pm

I think both players will get a chance to play here. I remember Kolanos being really good for Phoenix during their playoff run a few years ago, he has disappeared since then though. But I think he's still young and way more proven than the prospects we've gotten in previous years.(read Beech, Bouchard, Sivek)

Nordgren is a player in the Mikael Samuelsson molde. Good skater,hard worker and if given the chance, he's a goal scorer. He was always among the top scorers for the last few seasons in the swedish elite league. I've seen him a lot, and I gotta say, I think he could be really valuable to us.

Getting a 2nd round pick as a throw in has to be viewed as a big positive. Just how good this trade is will probably take a while before we know, but it looks good.
Samuelsson
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby JeffTZ on Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:20 pm

Where is the guarantee that Recchi returns next season? Frankly I don't want him back unless it is for 500k[/quote]

I am not saying he will come back.. but again, he is a year or two from retiring.. so I rather get something for him than nothing at all..
JeffTZ
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FlyerNation on Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:21 pm

Look how silly all these Recchi for Umberger + Meyer look now.
FlyerNation

Postby MrKnowNothing on Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:21 pm

In fairness to him, Kolanos was a good player before he was hit with a pretty bad concussion. He has not been the same since.
MrKnowNothing

Postby NIN on Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:22 pm

JeffTZ wrote:What were you thinking we were going to get in return? Recchi is a veteran player who is a year or two away from retiring.. so what do you realistically think the Pens were going to get in return? This move is fine.. and a bonus is, Recchi comes back next season.. then you get two younger guys a chance to succeed.. and if they don't.. what did you really lose?

Well both of those guys are long shots to be steady NHL contributers but you never know what a change of scenery can do for you. What makes this trade a winner is the 2nd rounder. Considering where the Canes will finish it is closer to a 3rd rounder but a 3rd rounder for Recchi isn't a dumb move either! I think the Canes unloaded quantity over quality to try and maintain an NHL lineup and they suceeded. Pens wanted to get as many young players back as they can so they can fortify their future stable and they did. The trade makes sense and both teams benefit. Recchi for Umberger would have been better but he is a 1st round pick that is developeing just fine while Recchi has one season left tops. It was unrealistic but it would have been nice anyways.
NIN

Postby Mad City Mike on Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:22 pm

One possible bright spot. Kolanos is a right-handed center. perhaps this means the end of Endicott :wink:
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins