Would you have made these deals?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Would you have made these deals?

Postby Pops16 on Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:50 pm

Ozolinsh for a 3rd round pick...
Friesen for a 2nd round pick...

I always had a soft spot for Ozolinsh. For a 2nd rounder, may have been an upgrade. Anyone know his contract amount?
Pops16
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:52 pm

Absolutely not if I'm CP but if I'm the Rags or Ducks I do it because I have decent teams to fill out for playoff runs.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Twisted Wrister on Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:52 pm

i believe tsn said 2.25 million
Twisted Wrister
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Samuelsson on Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:55 pm

Ozolinsh is a poor mans Sergei Gonchar. He's worse offensively AND worse defensively. Friesen was good in NJ, but he hasn't been the same since.
Samuelsson
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pops16 on Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:58 pm

Ozolinsh is slightly better on D than Gonchar. That is, he doesn't make his way around the ice with his stick hooked around opposing players. That said, I'd take 2.5 Ozolinsh over 5 mil Gonchar anyday.

As for Friesen, if the price was right id take him over most of our forward now.
Pops16
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:11 pm

I don't understand why everyone gets so hung up on salary. Are you paying his $5 mil? No. The Pens are. Him beign there doesn't raise ticket prices. Sure, I MIGHT prevent them from having another player, but, in all honesty, this team is way under tha cap...so who cares?
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:23 pm

ziggystardust wrote:
Defence21 wrote:I don't understand why everyone gets so hung up on salary. Are you paying his $5 mil? No. The Pens are. Him beign there doesn't raise ticket prices. Sure, I MIGHT prevent them from having another player, but, in all honesty, this team is way under tha cap...so who cares?

are you kidding? The team has its own spending limits.

It's not my money, but it pains me to see them waste it now and it will pain me even more to see them forced to move Malkin, Sid, Whitney, Orpik, MAF, Armstrong or EC because they've committed 1/6 of their total salary and 1/8 of the league wide cap to such a terrible player.

Not to defend Gonchar here, because he has sucked for the majority of the season, but he is not a defensive defenseman. This team needs a good partner for him. He's relied on too much to be good in both ends, and that's not his style. If he could focus on his offensive game a bit more, we'd probably be seeing more points. Is he worth the money? No, not at all. But is he as bad as everyone says? No, not at all.

I see your point with the future, but I really don't see this as a problem. New owners, new arena, etc means higher payroll.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins