I can't even put into words

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby FallenHero96 on Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:26 pm

SportsFan wrote:Expressing some interests, and saying you want to come back are 2 different things.

I also remember after the 2004 NFL Draft Madden said taking Big Ben was a bad choice..LMAO

The guy is a moron, I remember about 5 years ago he was trying to get out of Pittsburgh, whatever happened to that? I wish he would leave.

I am also 100% sure Kovie didn't call Madden and tell him anything. I would also be sure Kovie probably doesn't even know Madden.



Once again, more opinions.

And you are sure Kovalev doesn't even know Madden? I'm sure that your not sure about that.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,631
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:39 am
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Postby Jesse on Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:28 pm

dboss wrote:
Jesse wrote:
dboss wrote:
Jesse wrote:
FallenHero96 wrote:
SportsFan wrote:If I remember correctly, his "SOURCES" had Kovie signing here.

Him and John Steigerwald are two sports people Pittsburgh would be better off without.

I am waiting for Steigerwald to love the Pirates this year.


His source was Kovalev.


Who said that, Kovalev or Madden?


Exactly.


Don't believe everything that you hear.


It has been well-documented by NUMEROUS sources that Kovy wanted to come back to the Pens. All CP had to do was match the Habs offer. Instead he signed a winger with a bum-shoulder that retired mid-way through the season and a goon who broke his eye socket in his first fight of the season and hasn't done d*** since.


Name another source besides Madden or Eklund.


Quote from Kovalev's agent: "He's expressed some interest," Scott Greenspun, Kovalev's agent, said of his chat with Patrick. "It's one of the clubs that Alex likewise has expressed an interest in. We'll see what happens."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05214/547349.stm

Anytime you want your argument squashed you let me know. :wink:


Your argument was that Kovalev was targeting Pittsburgh exactly and that he was telling people, a la Mark Madden, that he was resiging here.

That says that Kovalev was targeting several clubs and had expressed interest in more than one.

Therefore, Madden's point and yours become moot. That article only proves that Kovalev never said one way or another that he definitely had Pittsburgh at the top of his list.

You "squashed" your own "argument"

This isn't even an argument. It's bickering about whether or not Kovy said blah blah blah to Madden blah blah blah.

He didn't come back. Madden was wrong. "Argument" over.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,641
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:07 am
Location: The Land of Condescending Posters

Postby MarioLives on Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:28 pm

I feel prety sure that no one wanted his contract....simple as that
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,462
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:30 pm

Postby dboss on Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:28 pm

SportsFan wrote:Expressing some interests, and saying you want to come back are 2 different things.

I also remember after the 2004 NFL Draft Madden said taking Big Ben was a bad choice..LMAO

The guy is a moron, I remember about 5 years ago he was trying to get out of Pittsburgh, whatever happened to that? I wish he would leave.

I am also 100% sure Kovie didn't call Madden and tell him anything. I would also be sure Kovie probably doesn't even know Madden.


Sorry, I didn't know I was debating with Jerry Macguire. I guess based on your sports agent skills you would have been quoted as saying, "Yes, Kovy will take ANY deal CP decides to offer to him."
I wasn't defending Madden saying it was a done deal. All I said was that CP could have signed Kovy if he had stepped up to the plate and matched the Habs offer.
dboss
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 540
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:33 am
Location: McCandless Twp, PA

Postby Jesse on Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:28 pm

SportsFan wrote:Expressing some interests, and saying you want to come back are 2 different things.


Exactly.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,641
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:07 am
Location: The Land of Condescending Posters

Postby dboss on Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:31 pm

Jesse wrote:Your argument was that Kovalev was targeting Pittsburgh exactly and that he was telling people, a la Mark Madden, that he was resiging here.

That says that Kovalev was targeting several clubs and had expressed interest in more than one.

Therefore, Madden's point and yours become moot. That article only proves that Kovalev never said one way or another that he definitely had Pittsburgh at the top of his list.

You "squashed" your own "argument"

This isn't even an argument. It's bickering about whether or not Kovy said blah blah blah to Madden blah blah blah.

He didn't come back. Madden was wrong. "Argument" over.


Another Jerry Macguire! So are you saying that if CP had matched the Habs offer, Kovy wouldn't be a Penguin now?
dboss
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 540
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:33 am
Location: McCandless Twp, PA

Postby Jesse on Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:36 pm

dboss wrote:
Jesse wrote:Your argument was that Kovalev was targeting Pittsburgh exactly and that he was telling people, a la Mark Madden, that he was resiging here.

That says that Kovalev was targeting several clubs and had expressed interest in more than one.

Therefore, Madden's point and yours become moot. That article only proves that Kovalev never said one way or another that he definitely had Pittsburgh at the top of his list.

You "squashed" your own "argument"

This isn't even an argument. It's bickering about whether or not Kovy said blah blah blah to Madden blah blah blah.

He didn't come back. Madden was wrong. "Argument" over.


Another Jerry Macguire! So are you saying that if CP had matched the Habs offer, Kovy wouldn't be a Penguin now?


Nope, not saying that at all. What I am saying is that Madden "guaranteed" that Kovalev would return. Therefore; matching any offers becomes a moot point. "Guarantee" instills the listener with a sense of the inevitable. If Kovalev wanted to play here that badly, then that extra money wouldn't have come into play.

You're talking about the logistics of the Kovalev signing. I'm talking about Mark Madden never being right. And that's a fact. The End.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,641
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:07 am
Location: The Land of Condescending Posters

Postby FallenHero96 on Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:39 pm

ziggystardust wrote:
FallenHero96 wrote:
ziggystardust wrote:
dboss wrote:
SportsFan wrote:Mark Madden is a tool. Why anyone listens to him is beyond me, the guys is so ignorant. Remember the Kovie to Pittsburgh rumor?


I think he was dead on with the Kovy rumor, but the problem was that he relied on CP to get the deal done. We are all learning how stupid that can be.


Madden said Gonchar was a great signing. Madden said the penguins would be cup contenders. Madden said big defenseman would be phased out of the NHL. Madden said defensive defenseman would be phased out of the NHL. Madden said big time goalies would be of little importance. Madden said Kovalev was a done deal. Madden said Zubrus and Hrdina was a sure thing. Madden said Recch and Malone for Leopold or Umberger.


The man is never right. The man is an idiot. Stop putting faith in the things he says.


Those are opinions. 80 percent of this board thought Gonchar was a great signing. And it was Dejan with the Hrdina for Zubrus. I am not putting faith in anything he says, Im just not ready to call him a liar.



They were opinions - opinions that have been categorically proven incorrect.


Just because 80 percent of the board thought Gonchar was a good signing doesn't mean it was. If it really was 80 percent of the board, then 80 percent of the board is just as stupid as Madden


Yes they were proven incorrect. But those were his OPINIONS. That does not mean that Kovalev never told Madden that he was coming here. That's all i've said. Can you not see the difference?

Either way, Madden was foolish to make his statements that he was so sure Kovy was coming back, because he isnt directly involved in the negotiations. If something were to drop out between CP and kovy, then Madden is left with egg on his face. Which is what I think happened.

I'm not even trying to defend Madden, i've probably heard his show maybe twice. But I do know, if Madden had the capability to make a personal bet with Mario Lemieux, then he had the capability to talk to Kovalev in passing or what ever and ask his intentions.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,631
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:39 am
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Postby dboss on Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:49 pm

Jesse wrote:
dboss wrote:
Jesse wrote:Your argument was that Kovalev was targeting Pittsburgh exactly and that he was telling people, a la Mark Madden, that he was resiging here.

That says that Kovalev was targeting several clubs and had expressed interest in more than one.

Therefore, Madden's point and yours become moot. That article only proves that Kovalev never said one way or another that he definitely had Pittsburgh at the top of his list.

You "squashed" your own "argument"

This isn't even an argument. It's bickering about whether or not Kovy said blah blah blah to Madden blah blah blah.

He didn't come back. Madden was wrong. "Argument" over.


Another Jerry Macguire! So are you saying that if CP had matched the Habs offer, Kovy wouldn't be a Penguin now?


Nope, not saying that at all. What I am saying is that Madden "guaranteed" that Kovalev would return. Therefore; matching any offers becomes a moot point. "Guarantee" instills the listener with a sense of the inevitable. If Kovalev wanted to play here that badly, then that extra money wouldn't have come into play.

You're talking about the logistics of the Kovalev signing. I'm talking about Mark Madden never being right. And that's a fact. The End.


Perhaps 'Hooked on Phonics' should be your next website visit. If you had read what I wrote, I thought Madden's OPINION was right. Not based on who his sources were, but based on Kovy's stint with the Pens and how much he enjoyed playing here.
dboss wrote:I think he was dead on with the Kovy rumor, but the problem was that he relied on CP to get the deal done. We are all learning how stupid that can be.
dboss wrote:Exactly! I put this one solely on CP. He thought he could lowball and stonewall Kovy just because he wanted to play here. Totally overplayed his hand.


SOOOOO, that makes the fact that CP screwed up AGAIN the issue and not Madden's sources. Perhaps you could start an 'I hate Madden' thread in the NPR board since you hate him so much.

Also, you never answered the question on whether you thought Kovy would have signed here if CP had matched the Habs. Your silence speaks volumes! If CP had done his job, Kovy wouldn't have had to make the decision to choose between the Pens and better contract elsewhere.
dboss
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 540
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:33 am
Location: McCandless Twp, PA

Postby dboss on Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:58 pm

ziggystardust wrote:It doesn't matter. Madden said it was a "done deal" and clearly this wasn't the case.


It does matter. If CP had done his job and not been asleep at the helm, Sidney would have had a top-line scoring winger playing next to him all season instead of a 38 year-old 'Wrecking Ball' that you get two AHL'ers and a 2nd round pick for in a trade.
dboss
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 540
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:33 am
Location: McCandless Twp, PA

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:10 pm

ziggystardust wrote:
dboss wrote:
ziggystardust wrote:It doesn't matter. Madden said it was a "done deal" and clearly this wasn't the case.


It does matter. If CP had done his job and not been asleep at the helm, Sidney would have had a top-line scoring winger playing next to him all season instead of a 38 year-old 'Wrecking Ball' that you get two AHL'ers and a 2nd round pick for in a trade.



I won't argue that. CP stinks. Recchi stinks. Madden stinks.


So you're saying that Mario wasn't consulted? Are you saying that if Mario had recognized what many of us have been saying for years, that he wasn't healthy enough to justify 'double dipping'. That his 4-6 million could have been used to maybe sweeten the pot for Kovy, that maybe *that* was the difference?

CP has his issues (Communication skills being #1), but I'm not crucifying him for listening to his boss.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: Hm

Postby The Snapshot on Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:13 pm

BacklashJack wrote:
dboss wrote:
Scuderi is their best d-man. Melichar is wretched and only gets worse with more playing time.


Absolutely, defensively, Scuderi is the best they have, Whitney has shown some cofidence jumping up in the play lately, especially in Tuesday's game. Melichar doesn't have a clue out there.


I don't get the Scuderi love. He is absolutely nothing out there. He doesn't move the puck well, he doesn't have a good shot, he makes poor decisions, isn't a particularly good skater, doesn't play with any edge....he is basically a guy who has to play perfectly to be even slightly effective....and even then he is one of those guys who isn't noticed at all if he plays great for his skills.

Rob Scuderi is as worthless as Melichar, just in a different way.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,276
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:28 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there

Postby Jasmine on Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:37 pm

Name another "source" who said Kovy wanted to come back here . . . MARIO LEMIEUX. He said the Pens would "get Kovy back" at his tournament last summer. I was there.
dboss was absolutely correct about CP trying to lowball Kovy. CP thought after the CBA and the Kid coming here that he could get players "cheap," but he was wrong! Most of the "star" players were snatched up quickly, and CP panicked with the Gonchar $5mil signing and others. Totally botched all the way around!
Jasmine
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,197
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:50 pm
Location: Where I eat, drink and sleep hockey . . . like Sid

Postby Jesse on Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:11 am

dboss wrote:
Jesse wrote:
dboss wrote:
Jesse wrote:Your argument was that Kovalev was targeting Pittsburgh exactly and that he was telling people, a la Mark Madden, that he was resiging here.

That says that Kovalev was targeting several clubs and had expressed interest in more than one.

Therefore, Madden's point and yours become moot. That article only proves that Kovalev never said one way or another that he definitely had Pittsburgh at the top of his list.

You "squashed" your own "argument"

This isn't even an argument. It's bickering about whether or not Kovy said blah blah blah to Madden blah blah blah.

He didn't come back. Madden was wrong. "Argument" over.


Another Jerry Macguire! So are you saying that if CP had matched the Habs offer, Kovy wouldn't be a Penguin now?


Nope, not saying that at all. What I am saying is that Madden "guaranteed" that Kovalev would return. Therefore; matching any offers becomes a moot point. "Guarantee" instills the listener with a sense of the inevitable. If Kovalev wanted to play here that badly, then that extra money wouldn't have come into play.

You're talking about the logistics of the Kovalev signing. I'm talking about Mark Madden never being right. And that's a fact. The End.


Perhaps 'Hooked on Phonics' should be your next website visit. If you had read what I wrote, I thought Madden's OPINION was right. Not based on who his sources were, but based on Kovy's stint with the Pens and how much he enjoyed playing here.


Ohhh. That one cut me deep. Really deep.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,641
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:07 am
Location: The Land of Condescending Posters

Postby HomerPenguin on Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:19 pm

SportsFan wrote:If I remember correctly, his "SOURCES" had Kovie signing here.

Him and John Steigerwald are two sports people Pittsburgh would be better off without.

I am waiting for Steigerwald to love the Pirates this year.


Steigerwald will never love anything as much as he loves Kordell Stewart... :roll:
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,884
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:50 pm
Location: ...

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


e-mail