Why so upset about today?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Why so upset about today?

Postby Sigpi10 on Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:19 pm

This is how I see things. We traded away some guys from a last place team and we got back some guys with "potential". How can you have a problem with this? If we could achieve the pinnacle of crap with them, we sure as heck can do the same without them.
The rest of the season now officially becomes a training camp/tryout. Mix and match and see if any of these guys with "potential" can jell. Leclair is still around...big deal! A low draft pick or keeping him around as really the only bonifide vet forward on the team? I'm glad we kept him if that was the case.
You people are so negative....negative when we make moves..negative when we don't make moves. "Whoop, Whoop, Whoop" at Gonchar even though anyone that is knowledgeable about hockey can see he has been steadily better since about mid-december.
Does it suck that the team blows? Of course it does. As a season ticket holder it chaps my ***! But it's done with! Nothing can change the situation they are in for this season.
All I have to say is that if one of these guys turns out ok...and we have some cash for Malkin and an UFA defenceman that can honestly make a difference, I'm cool with today's moves.
Sigpi10
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Why so upset about today?

Postby skullman80 on Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:20 pm

Sigpi10 wrote:This is how I see things. We traded away some guys from a last place team and we got back some guys with "potential". How can you have a problem with this? If we could achieve the pinnacle of crap with them, we sure as heck can do the same without them.
The rest of the season now officially becomes a training camp/tryout. Mix and match and see if any of these guys with "potential" can jell. Leclair is still around...big deal! A low draft pick or keeping him around as really the only bonifide vet forward on the team? I'm glad we kept him if that was the case.
You people are so negative....negative when we make moves..negative when we don't make moves. "Whoop, Whoop, Whoop" at Gonchar even though anyone that is knowledgeable about hockey can see he has been steadily better since about mid-december.
Does it suck that the team blows? Of course it does. As a season ticket holder it chaps my ***! But it's done with! Nothing can change the situation they are in for this season.
All I have to say is that if one of these guys turns out ok...and we have some cash for Malkin and an UFA defenceman that can honestly make a difference, I'm cool with today's moves.

The Pens always have "potential guys". In fact they have way too many of them.

How many times has a trade like this worked out in favor of the Pens?? Not very many.

Neither of the guys gotten in return for Recchi will be any more than a 3rd or 4th liner at best, IMO, and we have a ton of those players now.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bill from turtle creek on Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:24 pm

As much as I hope never ever to hear the name "Craig Patrick" again, you'd have to assume that he got as much for Recchi as he could have. It's not unreasonable to assume that Recchi asked only to go to certain teams in return for waiving the no trade clause, and that may have limited CP's options.
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby bill from turtle creek on Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:24 pm

As much as I hope never ever to hear the name "Craig Patrick" again, you'd have to assume that he got as much for Recchi as he could have. It's not unreasonable to assume that Recchi asked only to go to certain teams in return for waiving the no trade clause, and that may have limited CP's options.
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Maybe..

Postby Sigpi10 on Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:25 pm

...but what does it matter at this point in the season? If they want Recchi back, you get him back this summer. We have nothing to lose. When you are a last place team..you can't go anywhere but up. Keeping Recchi on this team would do what? And if that was the best deal, as I'm sure it was, how can you not take it?
Sigpi10
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Maybe..

Postby skullman80 on Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:26 pm

Sigpi10 wrote:...but what does it matter at this point in the season? If they want Recchi back, you get him back this summer. We have nothing to lose. When you are a last place team..you can't go anywhere but up. Keeping Recchi on this team would do what? And if that was the best deal, as I'm sure it was, how can you not take it?

Why make a deal just to make a deal? That's exactly what this trade was. i would have rather kept Recchi.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Why

Postby Sigpi10 on Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:27 pm

What purpose would that serve? He's not the same player he once was. And they can get him back this summer if they want him back. No way Carolina picks up that option in his contract. We had nothing to lose in this situation.
Sigpi10
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Why

Postby skullman80 on Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:28 pm

Sigpi10 wrote:What purpose would that serve? He's not the same player he once was. And they can get him back this summer if they want him back. No way Carolina picks up that option in his contract. We had nothing to lose in this situation.

What purpose does it serve to get two career AHL'ers back in return that will not turn into anything.

Kolanos has been on 4 teams this year already for gods sake.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bse on Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:29 pm

Kolanos and Nordgren have potential? that's news to me. They have already reached their potential, which is 4th liner/career minorleaguer. Hilbert doesn't look much better. Don't we already have atleast six Hilberts either in the NHL or AHL? Taticek is a gamble. We'll see how that goes.

Not much to celebrate.
Last edited by bse on Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bse
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Maybe..

Postby borohcky9 on Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:31 pm

skullman80 wrote:
Sigpi10 wrote:...but what does it matter at this point in the season? If they want Recchi back, you get him back this summer. We have nothing to lose. When you are a last place team..you can't go anywhere but up. Keeping Recchi on this team would do what? And if that was the best deal, as I'm sure it was, how can you not take it?

Why make a deal just to make a deal? That's exactly what this trade was. i would have rather kept Recchi.

Think of it this way, we are loning Recchi to Carolina so he can win a cup, and to make up for Cole. He wouldnt help us if he stayed here, if anything if he kept playing well we may miss out on the #1 draft pick.

He will be back next year, and it will save us money. We got two more guys that could help us, or could not....we got them for free.

Relax.
borohcky9

Have you seen him play?

Postby Sigpi10 on Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:31 pm

Have you seen him play? How about we give it at least a few games to see what exactly we got in return.
And again...even if we don't end up with a player out of this..we haven't lost anything! We aren't making the playoffs. We're playing for next year and a high draft pick at this point. Plain and simple.
Sigpi10
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby bse on Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:33 pm

So it's good thing we gained nothing? we've heard the same thing every single year at the trade deadline...
bse
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

ok

Postby Sigpi10 on Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:35 pm

Do you think Patrick was offered a better deal and didn't take it on purpose just to tick off his fan base?
I'm not saying we got back HOF players. But we lost nothing! It amazes me that people don't understand that we can get Recchi back if we really want him that bad this summer.
So what if it doesn't workout. The new guys help us suck even more and we get a better draft pick.
Like I said, they are playing for pride, next season..and a high draft pick. That is nothing that can't be done without Mark Recchi.
Sigpi10
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby skullman80 on Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:36 pm

The simple fact of the matter is this.

Both Kolanos and Nordbgrem are what the Pens already have too many off. Carrer minor leaguers that will not pan out or play at the NHL at a high level. This team is full of these players, and we just added 2 more.

I know Rex may come back, but I just think this deal was silly. We reap no benefit with the players that are coming back. They will do nothing of note, and this deal will end up just like the Jagr/Kovy deals. We will get nothing in return.

I didn't expect Rex to fetch a huge return, but I would have liked at least someone resepctable. If it's gonna be a prospect at least make it someone who is proven in their mid to late 20's, not two projects like we got back who are likely never to even crack the lineup.

I just hate this deal all around. Nothing more, nothing less.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: ok

Postby skullman80 on Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:38 pm

Sigpi10 wrote:Do you think Patrick was offered a better deal and didn't take it on purpose just to tick off his fan base?
I'm not saying we got back HOF players. But we lost nothing! It amazes me that people don't understand that we can get Recchi back if we really want him that bad this summer.
So what if it doesn't workout. The new guys help us suck even more and we get a better draft pick.
Like I said, they are playing for pride, next season..and a high draft pick. That is nothing that can't be done without Mark Recchi.

I think Patrick just made a deal to make one, much like he has for the past 4 or 5 years.

He did it as a favor to Rex to get him on a playoff team. This year is shot anyways, I understand that, but now we have one legit scoring threat, and he is an 18 year old kid.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Ron` on Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:50 pm

I guess if you consider the Hilbert pickup a wash for Fata being signed elsewhere thats a good move. At least he has shown some hands in the mnors.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Why

Postby The Snapshot on Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:07 pm

Sigpi10 wrote:What purpose would that serve? He's not the same player he once was. And they can get him back this summer if they want him back. No way Carolina picks up that option in his contract. We had nothing to lose in this situation.

Just to clarify, as I understand it, Recchi can also opt to stay in Carolina next year if he wants to play for $700K+. He has an option at that lower number, even if the team says no to their option.

I only mention it because if the 'Canes have a good playoff run, Recchi can stay if he wants to.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins