So now what?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

So now what?

Postby Racer17 on Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:38 pm

Where do we go from here?

Where do we get 4 wingers for our top 2 forward lines (less Crosby, Malkin)

Where do we get some top D men? (don't say Whitney, Welch, etc. Still years away)

Where do we get talent for WBS other than more garbage that "might" someday be 3rd or 4th liners someday?

Where do we get a veteran guy to help Fleury (don't say Thibault).

Someone help me see the light!
Racer17
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Henry Hank on Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:45 pm

Sorry, but there aren't going to be instant answers. This team's in a pretty big hole and it's going to take several years to get out of it. For now, we have to hope that out of Hilbert, Rita, Nordgren, Kolanos, and Taticek, maybe one of them can emerge to be a top-line talent. Aside from that, we need to hope that Crosby, Fleury, Whitney, Orpik, Ouellet, Christensen, Talbot, Armstrong, and Surovy improve. With Malkin coming over next year, the team could end up being much-improved if whoever's the GM makes some good moves this offseason and the youngsters show a lot of improvement. Realistically, the team will be better next year, but still pretty bad. There's certainly a great foundation here. Under the right eye, there's no reason to believe they can't become a legitimate Cup contender in a few years.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Racer17 on Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:49 pm

That's what I'm asking- where are you/some fans getting that from?

Crosby, Malkin, Whitney, hopefully Fleury

But who else is going to win you a Cup?

Oulette? Christensen? Talbot?

I agree they're all pieces of a bigger puzzle, but again you need more than 2 good centers and some grinders for a Cup.
Racer17
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby jjwags on Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:51 pm

hey now dont forget Orpik
Orpik is the real deal
jjwags
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Racer17 on Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:54 pm

Yes, Orpik. I guess what I'm saying is I'm having a hard time picturing Crosby handing Krystofer Kolanos the Cup.
Racer17
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby topshelf on Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:01 pm

I agree they're all pieces of a bigger puzzle, but again you need more than 2 good centers and some grinders for a Cup.

No one should even consider the cup anytime soon. Let's worry about a developing these kids towards a decent season, first.
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Racer17 on Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:03 pm

topshelf wrote:

No one should even consider the cup anytime soon. Let's worry about a developing these kids towards a decent season, first.

I agree 100%. That is why I'm asking people where they get "Cup contender" in a few years. They need a major miracle to just finish .500 in the next 2 years, IMO.
Racer17
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins