Let the debris settle, folks...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Let the debris settle, folks...

Postby topshelf on Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:42 pm

We picked up:
----------------
- Niklas Nordgren
- Krystofer Kolanos
- Andy Hilbert
- Petr Taticek
- 2nd Round Pick [2007]
- 4th Round Pick [2007]

In exchange for:
----------------
- Rick Jackman
- Marc Recchi
- Cory Cross

That actually sounds like a decent return to me. What did you all really expect to get back?

There was no way any team would part with a young stud for a rental in Recchi. The 'Umberger + Meyer' talk was a fool's dream, conjured up by minds comparable to Eklund's. As mentioned somewhere else, I'm sure CP's hands were tied as to where Recchi wanted to be traded to and he got the best return possible. Those of us who are complaining that 'Recchi didn't even need to be traded', there was no point in him finishing the season here. Let him go and try to win a Cup in Carolina, and then he will more than likely return to the 'Burgh for next season. I really don't see Carolina paying to keep Recchi around next season. And if he does return? Then we picked up two young players that might develop into decent NHLers for absolutely nothing. Sounds like a good deal to me.

Everyone [and I mean EVERYONE] had the same opinion of Cross [useless, slow, etc..], so you can almost remove him from the list above. If you do that, four young players and two picks for Recchi and Jackman is a nice return. Just taking Cross off the payroll is a plus.

Jackman needed to be traded. Period. He asked for it, he played like it, the list goes on. I don't care what anybody says, Rick Jackman should not be in this club's plans for the future.

Everyone needs to get it in their heads that this club is about the future. In a few years we will be one helluva team. When Crosby, Malkin, Whitney, Orpik, Welch, Fleury, Armstrong, etc. develop, we will be scary. We all need to have patience with the youngins and let things ride. All of the 'Whitney sucks', 'Fleury sucks' talk is retarded. We are a developing team, and you can't expect these guys to play like the Hurricanes. This developing time will really highlight who are the real Pens fans, and who isn't.
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Guido on Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:16 pm

yea, the fine people of houston or kansas city will get to enjoy their success while we suffered during their development.
Guido
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby topshelf on Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:20 pm

yea, the fine people of houston or kansas city will get to enjoy their success while we suffered during their development.

you should stop watching them right now
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby jmh70 on Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:29 pm

Recchi and Jackman are, by a good margin, the two best players involved in those deals. The Pens lost today unless one of the picks turns into player, which is unlikely. The Pens were simply better off keeping those two players.
jmh70

Postby topshelf on Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:35 pm

I really don't agree. There is a good chance that Recchi will be back, and Jackman was useless.
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MrKnowNothing on Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:37 pm

topshelf wrote:I really don't agree. There is a good chance that Recchi will be back, and Jackman was useless.

I agree. At best, Jackman is among that group of players somewhere.
MrKnowNothing

Postby NJ5934 on Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:42 pm

This was 'very much CP' today....

Very similiar to the Kovy deal to NY. Alot of medicre names that will just fade away. Europe, FA, etc etc. It's a shame. As if we are not overloaded with 3rd and 4th liners as is. How many f'in Tom Kostopoulos and Matt Hussey's can you have?

Best move today by far was sending Endicott down.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby skullman80 on Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:27 pm

ziggystardust wrote:
Guido wrote:yea, the fine people of houston or kansas city will get to enjoy their success while we suffered during their development.

who cares what city they play in?
I'll still watch the team no matter what town they call home.

I care, and I think alot of people do. Alot of the people that follow the team now wouldn't follow them if they leave town.

The attachment wouldn't be the same.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pfim on Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:36 pm

NJ5934 wrote:This was 'very much CP' today....

Very similiar to the Kovy deal to NY. Alot of medicre names that will just fade away. Europe, FA, etc etc. It's a shame. As if we are not overloaded with 3rd and 4th liners as is. How many f'in Tom Kostopoulos and Matt Hussey's can you have?

Best move today by far was sending Endicott down.

I'd agree if any of the players they gave up were half as good as Kovalev. You can't make chicken salad out of chicken, well, you know what.

That he got anything for Cory Cross is a steal. Ric Jackman is only productive if he completely forgets to play defense, and when he does concentrate on defense, he still sucks. Recchi is what he is, a decent scorer who is over the hill.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:38 pm

Very few folks in Quebec City follow the Avs.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Steve on Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:40 pm

Everyone needs to get it in their heads that this club is about the future. In a few years we will be one helluva team. When Crosby, Malkin, Whitney, Orpik, Welch, Fleury, Armstrong, etc. develop, we will be scary. We all need to have patience with the youngins and let things ride. All of the 'Whitney sucks', 'Fleury sucks' talk is retarded. We are a developing team, and you can't expect these guys to play like the Hurricanes. This developing time will really highlight who are the real Pens fans, and who isn't.

Great post!

The players we received may be in our future, who knows - but the guys we traded away certainly were not. At the very least, the two worst players on the team are not here now. (Cross & Endicott).
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Guido on Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:51 pm

its a matter of pride. if the pens leave town and have success, i will be happy for the players i got to know and watch mature. but i can't be as excited, they won't be 'my team' anymore, they'll be 2 times zones away and i won't be able to follow as much.

i do enjoy watching the team grow, it just angers me that there's a real chance we won't get to see the payoff.
Guido
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:19 pm

I'm in agreement with the original poster. This wasn't the debacle that some want it to be. The Pens did about as well as they could have with the players they were dealing. Recchi's the only one that had value, but it was handicapped by his no-trade clause. Realistically, most of the guys we got back are going to turn into nothing. But if just one or two of those players and draft picks turn into legit players, that's something because two of the guys traded were trash, and Recchi is 38 and close to retirement.

As far as the Pens leaving goes, I'd be heartbroken if it happened, but it's not the end of the world for me as a hockey fan. I certainly will continue to follow them. Who cares if most of the fans of the Nordiques don't follow the Avs? Why should I let them dictate what I do? I'm in college in Pittsburgh now, but I definitely have to leave the area for grad school, and chances are, I'm going to settle down away from Pittsburgh. So even if the Pens stay, I'm not going to be there much anyway. Still, they're Pittsburgh's team and they should remain so.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby topshelf on Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:22 pm

I'm in agreement with the original poster. This wasn't the debacle that some want it to be. The Pens did about as well as they could have with the players they were dealing. Recchi's the only one that had value, but it was handicapped by his no-trade clause. Realistically, most of the guys we got back are going to turn into nothing. But if just one or two of those players and draft picks turn into legit players, that's something because two of the guys traded were trash, and Recchi is 38 and close to retirement.

Exactly. And if Recchi returns and one of the pickups turn decent, we seriously got something for absolutely nothing.
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Ginger on Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:23 pm

Guido wrote:its a matter of pride. if the pens leave town and have success, i will be happy for the players i got to know and watch mature. but i can't be as excited, they won't be 'my team' anymore, they'll be 2 times zones away and i won't be able to follow as much.

i do enjoy watching the team grow, it just angers me that there's a real chance we won't get to see the payoff.

That's how I would feel too. I am not in Pittsburgh any longer but I follow them because they became my team while I was there. So it wasn't them but me that left. I'm not sure it would work as well the other way around. Fans like to *go* to see their team, not rely on watching them on Center Ice or on the computer. Meeting friends at the arena & enjoying the game together can't be duplicated. So I understand why fans say it would be hard for them to watch the Pens if they were moved out of Pittsburgh. Especially after seeing them thru' all the trials & losing the high-priced stars & being told repeatedly the team now is about the future. Well, when is the future for these Pittsburgh fans? They've been watching it coming a few years now but it still hasn't arrived. It's not really fair to ask that they continue to follow & be happy for the growth of the club when all their patience may well be for some other city.
Ginger
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Zscout on Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:14 pm

Yes once the debris settles, it is easier to pile it up, load it up and take it to the dump.
Zscout

Postby topshelf on Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:34 pm

load it up and take it to the dump.

which is what we did with Recchi, Cross, and Jackman
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins