CP let Recchi call his shot...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

CP let Recchi call his shot...

Postby netwolf on Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:40 am

...at least in part. on the KDKA 11pm news, they had video of Patrick saying that there was a lot of interest in Recchi and that he went to Mark with a list of teams interested and that Recchi crossed some off right off the bat.

I haven;t watched it all but assume that will be in this video clip:
http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia/penguin ... atrick.asx

and/or this audio clip:
http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia/penguin ... 309_cp.asx

Recchi had a no-trade, right? If so then it's within his rights to do that, although if all of the team were contenders, I'm disappointed that he would limit the team's options.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,354
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:04 am

Re: CP let Recchi call his shot...

Postby Goalie on Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:03 am

netwolf wrote:...at least in part. on the KDKA 11pm news, they had video of Patrick saying that there was a lot of interest in Recchi and that he went to Mark with a list of teams interested and that Recchi crossed some off right off the bat.

I haven;t watched it all but assume that will be in this video clip:
http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia/penguin ... atrick.asx

and/or this audio clip:
http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia/penguin ... 309_cp.asx

Recchi had a no-trade, right? If so then it's within his rights to do that, although if all of the team were contenders, I'm disappointed that he would limit the team's options.


It was going to be extremely hard for Patrick to get one over on another GM when it comes to Recchi. First off lets not pretend that Recchi is the final piece to anyone winning a Stanley Cup. He is too far past his prime to carry a team on his back, he can be a piece of the puzzle but no team was going to become a clear cut favorite by acquiring Recchi.

Second with Recchi's contract, and his repeated talk of wanting to finish his career in Pittsburgh, its very easy to envision Recchi coming back here next year.

So in review what GM in their right mind would give up the farm for Recchi? No one.
Goalie
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,580
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:24 pm

Re: CP let Recchi call his shot...

Postby netwolf on Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:07 am

Goalie wrote:Second with Recchi's contract, and his repeated talk of wanting to finish his career in Pittsburgh, its very easy to envision Recchi coming back here next year.

So in review what GM in their right mind would give up the farm for Recchi? No one.


I know what you mean, but to me, that is all the more reason to have as many team interested as possible. It's not that I'm disappointed in the return, but the process.

Nothing against Recchi, but I hope Carolina wins the Cup and he retires.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,354
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:04 am

Re: CP let Recchi call his shot...

Postby Draftnik on Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:11 am

Goalie wrote:Recchi had a no-trade, right? If so then it's within his rights to do that, although if all of the team were contenders, I'm disappointed that he would limit the team's options.

It was going to be extremely hard for Patrick to get one over on another GM when it comes to Recchi. First off lets not pretend that Recchi is the final piece to anyone winning a Stanley Cup. He is too far past his prime to carry a team on his back, he can be a piece of the puzzle but no team was going to become a clear cut favorite by acquiring Recchi.

Second with Recchi's contract, and his repeated talk of wanting to finish his career in Pittsburgh, its very easy to envision Recchi coming back here next year.

So in review what GM in their right mind would give up the farm for Recchi? No one.


There are conflicting reports on Recchi's "no trade." Lemieux said he had the right to call his shots because he won a Cup here. The fact a team can opt out of Recchi's contract next season makes him more valuable, nit less valuable. That is why Recchi is gone and LeClair is still here. His age isn't relevant when we are talking about him playing the next few months. When a guy like Friesen (also pending UFA) that has sucked at both ends of the ice and can't score goes for more (2006 2nd) than Recchi this trade looks bad by comparison. Look at Doug Weight. He went for a 2006 1st round pick. Go up and down the list of trades today. There are plenty of players not as good as Recchi that brought more return.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,011
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:52 pm
Location: Peters Twp.

Re: CP let Recchi call his shot...

Postby Goalie on Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:11 am

netwolf wrote:
Goalie wrote:Second with Recchi's contract, and his repeated talk of wanting to finish his career in Pittsburgh, its very easy to envision Recchi coming back here next year.

So in review what GM in their right mind would give up the farm for Recchi? No one.


I know what you mean, but to me, that is all the more reason to have as many team interested as possible. It's not that I'm disappointed in the return, but the process.

Nothing against Recchi, but I hope Carolina wins the Cup and he retires.


Then again the other option was Recchi declining a trade and the Penguins getting nothing in return, although some say that is what they got anyway.
Goalie
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,580
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:24 pm

Re: CP let Recchi call his shot...

Postby netwolf on Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:15 am

Draftnik wrote:When a guy like Friesen (also pending UFA) that has sucked at both ends of the ice and can't score goes for more (2006 2nd) than Recchi this trade looks bad by comparison. Look at Doug Weight. He went for a 2006 1st round pick. Go up and down the list of trades today. There are plenty of players not as good as Recchi that brought more return.


The more I think about it, the more I think the goal of the trade was all about helping Wilkes Barre. That motive explains almost every move made today.

I suppose adding to that team gives the existing group a better chance in the playoffs and thus, more development time, but I really don't like the idea of making NHL trades to help the AHL team if my theory is correct.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,354
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:04 am

Postby Jamie on Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:32 am

Did anyone watch that video clip. Bwahaaaaahhhaaa. Pitter, Pattering, Patter (gets weird look on face) Patt-erning ourselves. Wow he must have drank at least a fifth before that interview. :shock: :D :lol:
Jamie
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,062
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:04 pm
Location: Here or there

Postby Pitts on Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:18 am

I think he will be back next year as well for around $1mil.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,585
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Postby KG on Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:44 am

One would have to assume that CP got the best value out there, not necessarily where Recchi wanted to go per se. When I heard CP say that he sat down with Recchi and showed him what was out there, I just hope we didn't cross off anything better then we received.

I read on spectors this morning that Clarke offered CP the 2#2's picks he later traded for Gauthier, and that CP wanted Downey. Who knows.

Problem I have is CP is to loyal in my opinion. It is still a business, you have to get the best return out there..I just don't know if he did or didnt. That's why he gets paid the big bucks (I hope).
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,975
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:53 am
Location: NY

Postby Pitts on Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:49 am

KG wrote:Problem I have is CP is to loyal in my opinion. It is still a business, you have to get the best return out there..I just don't know if he did or didnt. That's why he gets paid the big bucks (I hope).


That is why, hopefully, his contract will not be renewed next season.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,585
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:52 pm

Pitts wrote:
KG wrote:Problem I have is CP is to loyal in my opinion. It is still a business, you have to get the best return out there..I just don't know if he did or didnt. That's why he gets paid the big bucks (I hope).


That is why, hopefully, his contract will not be renewed next season.


I don't think CP is loyal AT ALL. He's pretty well known inside the Pens organization and in the media ranks as having very little patience at all.

It's Mario. That's why I think CP takes too much heat... i don't think anyone realizes how deep Marios involvement goes.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Draftnik on Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:04 pm

Some Recchi chatter from Bob Clarke:

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060310/SPORTS04/603100386/1002/SPORTS

The Pens must really like this Swedish guy. They could have claimed Kolonos twice on waivers earlier this season but passed both times.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,011
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:52 pm
Location: Peters Twp.

Postby NIN on Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:14 pm

Draftnik wrote:Some Recchi chatter from Bob Clarke:

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060310/SPORTS04/603100386/1002/SPORTS

The Pens must really like this Swedish guy. They could have claimed Kolonos twice on waivers earlier this season but passed both times.


Just goes to show that LGP and Madden are living in a dream world. Patrick did exceptionally well dealing Recchi.

I would'nt have it any other way, I love all the new and creative ways people come up with to ***** about the exact same thing. :D
NIN
 

Postby NIN on Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:17 pm

Draftnik wrote:Some Recchi chatter from Bob Clarke:

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060310/SPORTS04/603100386/1002/SPORTS

The Pens must really like this Swedish guy. They could have claimed Kolonos twice on waivers earlier this season but passed both times.


Oh yeah, I heard Kolonos has had some concusion problems and CP passed on him because of that. After talking with the Oilers GM he was convinced that he is OK enough to be included in the deal.
NIN
 

Postby Draftnik on Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:42 pm

More Recchi chatter from his agent and Clarke:

http://www.newsobserver.com/122/story/416588.html

http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/sports/14063653.htm

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/14061571.htm


The no trade clause helps explain the low return. I think the Bs got a much better deal for Samsonov who is also an UFA after this season. He has been less productive than Recchi in recent years and also is injury prone. He couldn't produce like a star with set up man extraordinaire Joe Thornton feeding him. Age is irrelevant when comparing the 2 guys and what they can accomplish over the next few months.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,011
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:52 pm
Location: Peters Twp.

Postby Pitts on Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:00 pm

Draftnik wrote:More Recchi chatter from his agent and Clarke:

http://www.newsobserver.com/122/story/416588.html

http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/sports/14063653.htm

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/14061571.htm


The no trade clause helps explain the low return. I think the Bs got a much better deal for Samsonov who is also an UFA after this season. He has been less productive than Recchi in recent years and also is injury prone. He couldn't produce like a star with set up man extraordinaire Joe Thornton feeding him. Age is irrelevant when comparing the 2 guys and what they can accomplish over the next few months.


That last listed article says: "Ottawa, Dallas, San Jose and Calgary were in the mix." along with Philly and Carolina. Boy, would I like to see what was being offered up. Philly was only offering picks. Clarke said Carolina's offer was better than anything we was willing to offer. I just wonder what the others were willing to part with.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,585
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Postby BCHill on Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:22 pm

It's easy to criticize when you are only guessing at the parameters of the deals.

Recchi had a no trade clause. He didn't HAVE to go anywhere.

One part of his agreement to waive that clause was that he wanted the Pens to get somethng out of it.

The other part is that he would be happy where he was going. His wife and 3 kids are staying in Pittsburgh. He will be living with Ron Francis. If he's going to uproot himself he might as well go to the best team and not just "a contender".

If some of you want to blame him, go ahead, but he was well within his rights to do what he did and he made a great choice.
BCHill
 


Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mig991, Orlando Penguin, Rocco and 10 guests


e-mail