Where are they now?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Where are they now?

Postby NJ5934 on Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:37 pm

Rick Berry
Rico Fata
Ross Lupaschuk
Mike Wilson
Dan Focht
Kris Beech
Michal Sivek
Ramzi Abid
Ville Nieminen
Martin Strbak

can anyone think of anymore? I know there were a couple more that came over for Kovy.

My point is Craig Patrick's gross lack of judgment when evaluating "prospects" and "youth". Not just CP either....remember CP's comments about the Jagr trade? something to the effect of: "When I ran the three names by our scouting staff they were jumping up and down".

The whole organization needed to be given the CAN, from Edzo and his part time scouting, CP, Malone, all the way to Joey Mullen.

The core of young players we have right now that everyone is raving about has very little to do with development and even less to do with scouting. Where would we be right now if not for finishing in the depths of the league for four years.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby topshelf on Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:51 pm

"When I ran the three names by our scouting staff they were jumping up and down".

I would have loved to see our Jagr return go through a decent youth development program. You can blame a lot of their poor play on our system [or lack thereof]. I remember Beech was highly spoken of.

The core of young players we have right now that everyone is raving about has very little to do with development and even less to do with scouting. Where would we be right now if not for finishing in the depths of the league for four years.

Who cares if it has to do with being in last place? We have 'em and that's all that matters. I do agree that some major cannings need to occur this off season, though.

Rick Berry
Rico Fata
Ross Lupaschuk
Mike Wilson
Dan Focht
Kris Beech
Michal Sivek
Ramzi Abid
Ville Nieminen
Martin Strbak

None of those guys were drafted by CP, and a good bit of them were said to be decent players [remember how almost everyone here had a stroke when we lost Berry?]. I don't blame CP for bringing them in as much as our staff for their poor development.
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby NJ5934 on Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:08 pm

My point was that Craig Patrick has a pretty extensive history of trading for players under the guise of "building for the future", yet the majority of these "prospects" just seem to fade away. You can call it lack of development, lack of a system in WBS, whatever.....the fact is that unless this organization is drafting in a "can't miss" position, it is nearly incompetent. At one time we were so blessed with talent that we've slowly filtered it down to nothing through bad deals and UFA. Finances obviously played a large role, but generally what CP has dealt for...has been crap.

The entire organization from top to bottom needs to be flushed.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby NJ5934 on Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:24 pm

Not to drag this out but here's a couple more... solely for entertainment.

Richard Lintner
John Jakopin
Nolan Baumgartner
Joel Bouchard
Shawn Heins

Vladimir Vujtek
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby topshelf on Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:01 pm

Finances obviously played a large role

Finance was everything. It was the reason we had to take a gamble on these guys in the first place. It's not like we could have afforded those players, but opted to trade them anyways. If this team wasn't strapped for cash during the non-cap years, we could have kept our Kovalev's, Straka's, and Jagr's. We wouldn't have had to trade them away for the players we could afford, like the Lintner's and the Strbak's. But[!], our poor financial situation did help us get Fleury, Whitney, Crosby, and Malkin. Can't see too much negativity there.
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby JS© on Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:31 am

Rick Berry (97, 3rd round, 55 overall, COL) - currently with the Milwaukee Admirals
1g 5a 6p 115pim

Rico Fata (98, 1st round, 6 overall, CAL), picked up by the Caps on Wednesday after being released by the Thrashers
0g 1a 1p 4pim with ATL

Ross Lupaschuk (99, 2nd round, 34 overall, WAS), currently with Mora IK of the SEL
stats unavailable on hockeydb.com

Mike Wilson (93, 1st round, 20 overall, VAN)
3 different European teams, the last being Ilves Tampere of the SEL
2g 1a 3p 52pim

Don Focht, (96, 1st round, 11 overall, PHX) - currently with Rochester Americans
2g 5a 7p 135pim

Kris Beech (99, 1st round, 7 overall, WAS) - traded back to the Caps as of Thursday
18g 32a 50p 48 pim with the Admirals
1g 2a 3p in 5 games with the Preds

Michal Sivek (99, 2nd round, 27 overall, WAS) - currently with Sparta Praha
10g 9a 19p 30pim

Ramzi Abid (98, 2nd round, 28 overall, COL) and (00, 3rd round, 85 overall, phx) - currently with the Chicago Wolves
28g 32a 60p 149pim

Ville Nieminen (97, 3rd round, 78 overall, COL) - traded to the Sharks on Thursday
5g 12a 17p 53 pim with the NYR prior to trade

Martin Strbak (93, 9th round, 223 overall, LAK) - currently with CSKA Moscow
4g 10a 14p 44 pim

John Jakopin - out of hockey since 2004

more later
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Where are they now?

Postby Scott on Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:17 am

[quote="NJ5934"]My point is Craig Patrick's gross lack of judgment when evaluating "prospects" and "youth". Not just CP either....remember CP's comments about the Jagr trade? something to the effect of: "When I ran the three names by our scouting staff they were jumping up and down".

What was he going to say?????? The guys we are getting back for jagr are not going to be any good?

It was ugly as nobody wanted Jagr to leave. So he was saving face not just for himself, but the organ i zation.
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Mad City Mike on Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:43 am

Rico Fata and Kris Beech played on a line together last night :D .
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jim on Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:57 pm

What about the "nobody's" that CP picked up that have made it? Lang being the biggest example of that? Straka? Tarnstrom? Hedberg?

Berry... it was hysterical how everyone was OUTRAGED when CP let him go. Now people are using Berry against CP, talk about a joke!

Fata, Beach and Nieminen were just traded/claimed by teams this week... Does that mean those team's GM's are as pathetic as CP in your eyes?
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby BritishPenguin on Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:29 pm

According to the official Pens website, Lupaschuk and Sivek are still in the Pens system.

I doubt that they'll be making another appearance in the NHL for us.
BritishPenguin

Postby Jim on Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:40 pm

I thought that Strbak was still our "property" as well. Wasn't Anshakov the bigger asset in the Straka trade anyway?
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby topshelf on Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:46 pm

Berry... it was hysterical how everyone was OUTRAGED when CP let him go. Now people are using Berry against CP, talk about a joke!

Jim - I was just thinking the same thing last night. CP is screwed from both sides on that deal, lol. Everyone is pissed that we let him go, and at the same time, upset that we brought him in.

It sounds like those who are impatient with the rebuilding years just blurt out random, incorrect rants to vent their frustration.
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: .

Postby Jim on Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:48 pm

topshelf wrote:
... just blurt out random, incorrect rants ...

That definition can fit sooooo many people here...
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins