Why the Recchi trade is stinky butt.

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Why the Recchi trade is stinky butt.

Postby guiner on Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:12 am

Ok, first off, I've never ever bought that Recchi is a bad influence in any way.

That being said. Recchi was traded for potentially average, potentially nothing, and potentially another worthless pick. There is a heavy emphasis on POTENTIALLY, because, I'd bet 2 out of 3 won't even reach that level. I'm also betting the one that does, is probably the worthless pick. That is CP in a nutshell.

Sure we save a couple of pennies, but Recchi is someone who had pretty darn good chemistry with Sidney Crosby. And I'd rather have had 1 good prospect, like Umberger, over a package of garbage, than give up some chemistry with Crosby. Keep Recchi if you cannot get something, and let him work with Crosby, inspire that recchin' ball attitude and passion. Instead, we got potentially garbage. Forget potentially, its garbage

g
guiner
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Vanbiesbrouck on Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:17 am

Why not take a shot? All draft picks potentially fail. Does that mean we should just go ahead and skip the draft?

We lose Recchi for 20 games. All indications are that he will be back. We gained, essentially, 3 potential chances more for player development.

If you look at the other trades made at the deadline, given what was out there, thinking Umberger would have been traded for a rent-a-player is silly.
Vanbiesbrouck
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby topshelf on Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:23 am

First off, let me just clear up that I am not an avid Patrick supporter by ANY means.

But the Penguins have a month left of hockey. No playoffs. Just a month. We all know how Recchi's contract will probably bring him back here next year, as no one believes Carolina will keep him around for such a high price. So why in the world is it a bad move to esentially loan him to Carolina for a month + a playoff run? Let the guy go and take a shot at winning the cup, and then let him come back here. Crosby doesn't NEED Recchi here. It isn't like Recchi was some powerhouse for us all season, and now Crosby is going to be lost. He is a talented kid, and his skill never hindered on Recchi.

Everyone is also really quick to shoot down the players we acquired. I know they aren't the next Ovechkin, but let the kids prove themselves. More than likely most of the have never seen the amount of ice time that they will here in Pittsburgh, and it might be good for them. As I've said before, even if one of the guys we got at the deadline turns out to be a decent player, and Recchi returns, we won this deadline outright.

Also, who ever said a deal like Umberger was ever on the table? Madden? Eklund? Bowser? I'm sure if a better trade was readily available, we would have made it.
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Steve on Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:05 am

A 2nd round pick is a decent return for Recchi. I'd be surprised if other GMs were offering more then that.

Also - the Umberger for Recchi trade rumors were silly, RJ should not be factored in this trade anaysis.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FallenHero96 on Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:58 am

Steve wrote:A 2nd round pick is a decent return for Recchi. I'd be surprised if other GMs were offering more then that.

Also - the Umberger for Recchi trade rumors were silly, RJ should not be factored in this trade anaysis.

It wasn't Recchi for Umberger.... It was Recchi and MALONE for Umberger, which is a deal that makes a lot more sense.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Steve on Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:01 pm

It was Recchi and MALONE for Umberger, which is a deal that makes a lot more sen

Yes, it does. But that's not what the original poster was implying, and there were alot of goofy rumors involving Recci and RJ, that were not realistic, IMO.

Let's go Pens!
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jim on Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:51 pm

Say CP didn't trade Recchi... I wonder how many people would have been crying about CP being a bastard if we had found out that he could have traded Recchi to a contender and didn't? Crying that Recchi deserved to get a shot at another Cup etc etc etc...
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby netwolf on Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:09 pm

g, you're assuming there was a better deal to be made. Umberger from what I've read was NEVER available. The only person that suggested it was was Madden. I never believed the Leopold rumor either. I think this deal was as simple as CP wanting to give his buddy another shot at a ring and taking whatever he could get in return. The secondary objective appears to be helping out WBS.

We're in last place - we can't so any worse without Recchi. Recchi coul be back next seaon any. At max he's only got a year or two left. How much better can this team get in that span? I'd rather see Crosby build chemistry with someone that will be around a little while longer than that.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins