Patrick Caught in Another Lie

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Patrick Caught in Another Lie

Postby Mad City Mike on Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:28 am

"We're down to a bare-bone operation in terms of players," Patrick said. "After this weekend, we'll be down to 12 forwards, six defensemen and two goalies, and any time you get in that situation and have an injury, you can bring people up (from the American Hockey League) on emergency, and it doesn't affect what's going on down there in terms of being able to go back and play in the playoffs. That's important for us because we want to see these guys as much as we can this spring and make some decisions on them for the future and for our lineup in the future."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune ... 32118.html

Yep, we're looking at young guys when we need players. I guess that's why Nasredine was recalled. There's a guy with a bright NHL future. :roll:
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Hockeynut! on Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:38 am

He said "after this weekend". After this weekend plays can be brought up for emergencies and it won't affect whether they can play in the AHL playoffs. Bringing them up now could possibly affect their eligibility.
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitts on Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:22 pm

Besides that, it does sound like they may have been rewarding Nassredine for his dedication to the team. Did you read how excited he was to come up and play in an NHL game again? He sounded like a giddy liitle kid. It's good for him and good for the organization. It's not like they are playing for much of anything right now except a top 2 pick.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MrKnowNothing on Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:04 pm

And if they called Welch up, it would be detrimental to his development.
MrKnowNothing

Postby Jim on Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:48 pm

So, what am I missing? Where is he BIG LIE that deserved it's own thread reaction like this? Hmmmm...
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pitts on Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:52 pm

MrKnowNothing wrote:And if they called Welch up, it would be detrimental to his development.

Are you being serious, or sarcastic? I'm just asking, i can't the feel of this post.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:53 pm

Jim wrote:So, what am I missing? Where is he BIG LIE that deserved it's own thread reaction like this? Hmmmm...

Is this regular, old (Farscape) Jim??
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:04 pm

Yep, the evil is back.

I do not like this type of message board. The pure linear aspect makes replies misplaced and the thread garbled. I was usuing it as a great reason to stop spending time posting, but I still read. I finally gave in today.

I am actually in Germantown this weekend so it seemed right to start posting on RJ's boards again.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pitts on Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:09 pm

Good to see you back! I've been wondering what happened to you. It takes time, but you get used to it pretty quick. Plus, this board seems to keep a lot more of the trash out. Stick around.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:16 pm

Tony's board uses this format, so I am used to it.

I bet half the people here just thought that the trash was back since I started posting again, lol.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MrKnowNothing on Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:18 pm

Pitts wrote:
MrKnowNothing wrote:And if they called Welch up, it would be detrimental to his development.

Are you being serious, or sarcastic? I'm just asking, i can't the feel of this post.

Serious.

Welch would just be being thrown into the fire on a horrible team with no identity. I could understand rewarding him with a cup of coffee for his great play this year, but I think it's better for him to finish the season + playoffs as one of the top defensemen in the entire AHL.
MrKnowNothing

Postby netwolf on Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:19 pm

MrKnowNothing wrote:
Pitts wrote:

Serious.

Welch would just be being thrown into the fire on a horrible team with no identity. I could understand rewarding him with a cup of coffee for his great play this year, but I think it's better for him to finish the season + playoffs as one of the top defensemen in the entire AHL.

I disagree. Whomever got recalled for tonight's game was going back down immediately because Orpik's suspension would be over. I think Welch would do fine and even if he had a bad game, it wouldn't affect his development in the least. He was a -6 in the all-star game and managed to shake that off.

If he had been recalled it would have been a very similiar situation - a one game reward against better competition. If we were talking long term, then maybe I could see your point, though I would still want to see him (or anyone that has a chance to be part of the future) get a shot to see how they did.

Giving the call to Nasreddine strikes me as a career achievement award, only he hasn't achieved anything.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:34 pm

MrKnowNothing wrote:
Pitts wrote:

Serious.

Thanks for the clarification. I think we will see him up here at some time for a game or two before the season ends. Patrick kind of alluded to that in the press this morning. As I've never seen him play, I'm looking forward to it.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins