Koltsov was born to kill penalties

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Koltsov was born to kill penalties

Postby NIN on Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:50 pm

Why oh why is he not a regular? Maybe now that Recchi is gone he will be.
NIN

Postby Pipes Hochuli on Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:51 pm

kinda like max talbot
Pipes Hochuli
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby NIN on Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:53 pm

Pipes Hochuli wrote:kinda like max talbot

Even better.
NIN

Postby netwolf on Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:55 pm

Penalty killing is much easier when you clear the puck each time you get an opportunity to do so. Koltsov made two big clears there.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KG on Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:58 pm

If nothing else, Koltsov is out there busting his butt every ****, which is what you want to see, especially on a young team. He will never be an offensive threat, but he can create chances and kill penalties. He should be on the 4th line next season because of his hustle imo.
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby NIN on Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:00 pm

KG wrote:If nothing else, Koltsov is out there busting his butt every ****, which is what you want to see, especially on a young team. He will never be an offensive threat, but he can create chances and kill penalties. He should be on the 4th line next season because of his hustle imo.

Totally agree. I mean every now and then he can step up to the 3rd line or whatever but it's his job to lose as a 4th line winger/penalty killer.
NIN

Postby Pipes Hochuli on Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:04 pm

his speed can even draw penalties at times

although, when he loses an edge he gets called for the dive
Pipes Hochuli
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby NIN on Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:07 pm

Pipes Hochuli wrote:his speed can even draw penalties at times

although, when he loses an edge he gets called for the dive

Id say he draws far more calls than he gets called for, dive or otherwise.
NIN

Postby DelPen on Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:08 pm

Kolstov may not be an every night player but I would like to see him, Roy, and Murley be the rotating wings with Talbot on a really solid 4th line. I don't have any complaints with those 4 cycling and playing defense.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby netwolf on Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:10 pm

Koltsov could end up being a Todd Marchant type. Speedy, defensively responsible, good fore/back checker. As Marchant's career went on, his hand slowly came around. Maybe the future hold the same for Koltsov.

Even if they don't he can still be an effective NHL player.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:12 pm

netwolf wrote:Koltsov could end up being a Todd Marchant type. Speedy, defensively responsible, good fore/back checker. As Marchant's career went on, his hand slowly came around. Maybe the future hold the same for Koltsov.

Even if they don't he can still be an effective NHL player.

The thing I really like about Koltsov is he's also a smart player. I don't see him make too many mistakes in the defensive or neutral zone. His shot is always on net but dead center. If you want a guy to hustle, hit and get offensive zone face-offs he's your guy.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby NIN on Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:13 pm

DelPen wrote:Kolstov may not be an every night player but I would like to see him, Roy, and Murley be the rotating wings with Talbot on a really solid 4th line. I don't have any complaints with those 4 cycling and playing defense.

Im not crazy about Murleys physical game and I don't think he brings the same passion every game that the other 3 do. I think Murley is very replaceable.
NIN

Postby netwolf on Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:22 pm

NIN wrote:I think Murley is very replaceable.

Sadly, you could say that about way too many guys on this roster. :(
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby NIN on Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:37 pm

netwolf wrote:
NIN wrote:I think Murley is very replaceable.

Sadly, you could say that about way too many guys on this roster. :(

I could...and I have. :wink:

Hey don't be said Net life is a *****. I know that as soon as I show up for work without my A game or don't do the things that are expected of me my bosses will say the same thing about me if they havent already. These guys are the worst team in the NHL and there are many reasons why.
NIN

Re: Koltsov was born to kill penalties

Postby Scott on Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:53 am

NIN wrote:Why oh why is he not a regular? Maybe now that Recchi is gone he will be.

Seems I said this about a million posts ago.
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Scott on Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:57 am

ziggystardust wrote:
NIN wrote:

Even better.

I don't think so, but i think they are both superb penalty killers.

HUH? Koltsov RIGHT NOW is a better penalty killer than Talbot. Period.

You cant get a good shot off from the point when he is out there.

Without that puck, he is one of the fastest players in the League.
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby NIN on Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:10 am

Scott wrote:
ziggystardust wrote:
NIN wrote:

Even better.

I agree Scott but perhaps not as adamantly as you. Koltsov is clearly more effective on the PK. He is better at skating, clogging passing lanes, clearing the zone, helping out in front of the net when needed, and especially shot blocking. However I think Talbot isn't too far behind in any of those areas and he is a very young rookie. As of right now Talbot already has better hands so he is more likely to cash in on a SH chance but he is less likely to get that chance and Kolt draws penalties alot more often due to his great acceleration.

When Talbot figures out faceoffs those 2 will be phenominal as a duo. Talbot could get as good as Kolt someday and maybe even better.
NIN

Postby NIN on Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:29 am

ziggystardust wrote:
NIN wrote:
Scott wrote:
ziggystardust wrote:
NIN wrote:

Even better.

I agree Scott but perhaps not as adamantly as you. Koltsov is clearly more effective on the PK. He is better at skating, clogging passing lanes, clearing the zone, helping out in front of the net when needed, and especially shot blocking. However I think Talbot isn't too far behind in any of those areas and he is a very young rookie. As of right now Talbot already has better hands so he is more likely to cash in on a SH chance but he is less likely to get that chance and Kolt draws penalties alot more often due to his great acceleration.

When Talbot figures out faceoffs those 2 will be phenominal as a duo. Talbot could get as good as Kolt someday and maybe even better.

Talbot is more headsy than Kolstov. He's more fundamental.

I don't think he is. Koltsov is where he is suppose to be all the time. I think the PK is the one thing he totally feels at home in doing and he definately understands that role alot better than being a top 6 forward. Conversly I recall several rookie mistakes made by Talbot that were a direct result of a goal. He definately can get the job done, he just needs some more experiance.
NIN

Re: Koltsov

Postby Clks21 on Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:57 am

it seems like koltsov is taking a morozov approach in pittsburgh, i like him really i do he does show potential, just when tho..........
Clks21

Postby Guido on Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:07 am

they should give koltsov the C.

Add to all of this the fact that eh doesn't usually take dumb penalties (hooking/holding).....another bonus of his speed, he's quick enough to not be in the position to hook a lot. If his hands were as fast as his legs, he'd have 50 goals right now.

It'd be nice to see him with more minutes, but keep him fresh, keep him 3rd/4th line and pk and he'll house.
Guido
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby NIN on Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:59 am

Clks21 wrote:it seems like koltsov is taking a morozov approach in pittsburgh, i like him really i do he does show potential, just when tho..........

I disagree, in fact I think their styles are the polar opposite of each other. The general consenus around here is that Koltsov works his arse off but lacks the skill to be a big point producer. Morozov has always been praised for his skill but he never put forth the effort at anything remotely resembling a consistant effort.
NIN

Postby Clks21 on Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:17 pm

i'm not saying that morozov and koltsov are in comparison in skill and talent. i'm saying that koltsov is taking his time developing like morozov did.
Clks21

Postby NIN on Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:56 am

Clks21 wrote:i'm not saying that morozov and koltsov are in comparison in skill and talent. i'm saying that koltsov is taking his time developing like morozov did.

Ahh I see, my fault. I actually think Koltsov is pretty much as good as he is going to get offensively but I hope I am wrong.
NIN

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins