Flyers at Penguins 3/12/06

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby Jesse on Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:50 pm

ziggystardust wrote: Whitney just doesn't know how to play defense.

Wow.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DelPen on Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:50 pm

ziggystardust wrote:

you think he's been average? jesus.
one of my friend's dad attended the game last night. Real smart guy, in fact he's one of the smartests sports people you'll ever come across. He said, and I quote: "That kid, 19, he's awful. He has no idea what he's doing in his own end."

Whenever something bad happens, there is a pretty good chance it was caused by whitney failing to stop his man on a rush, or whitney going for a hit at center ice, or whitney not pressuring effectively on the low boards, or whitney getting lost around the net, or whitney losing his man. At this point, Whitney just doesn't know how to play defense.

Your friend's dad, eh? Well that does it, Whitney is a bust. What NHL team does he scout for?
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby skullman80 on Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:52 pm

ziggystardust wrote:
skullman80 wrote:
ziggystardust wrote:
skullman80 wrote:
ziggystardust wrote:
skullman80 wrote:
ziggystardust wrote:
NIN wrote:
KG wrote:Man, how fun is it to watch solid, competitive, team two-way hockey. I am giddy. Back-checking, puck support,,,brilliant!

This is a great game. I am very impressed with Rita's game without the puck but he is nothing compared to Whitney. WOW. When that kid wants to play he can dominate. Macinns-esque fire power with precision passing and smarts to boot.

Whitney still can't poke check. He still isn't good defensively.

Whitney has been better, much better in the past few weeks.

The devils scored last night because he went for a hit at center ice. He connected, but it resulted in an odd man rush and the devils converted.
He makes a couple mistakes a game, and he hurts the team

I never said he was Norris candidate. I'm saying his play over the past few weeks has gotten much better both offesively and on defense as well.

He has a way to go, but he is slowly getting there.

I'll agree with that. Where he use to be one of the worst defenseman in the league, Whitney is now just really really bad.

I won't even say bad, I will say average. He needs more seasoning, he was thrown into the fire much too soon.

one of my friend's dad attended the game last night. Real smart guy, in fact he's one of the smartests sports people you'll ever come across. He said, and I quote: "That kid, 19, he's awful. He has no idea what he's doing in his own end."

Whenever something bad happens, there is a pretty good chance it was caused by whitney failing to stop his man on a rush, or whitney going for a hit at center ice, or whitney not pressuring effectively on the low boards, or whitney getting lost around the net, or whitney losing his man. At this point, Whitney just doesn't know how to play defense.

Yes I think he has been average. I couldn't care less what your freind's dad or whoever says.

I'm just going by what I am seeing. He has improved. He has a long way to go, but he has gotten better.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby skullman80 on Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:55 pm

ziggystardust wrote:
DelPen wrote:
ziggystardust wrote:

Your friend's dad, eh? Well that does it, Whitney is a bust. What NHL team does he scout for?

I never said that.
And he might as well be. He certainly sees more when he watches a hockey game than you fellas who thought Gonchar and Recchi would be good signings.

Oh a holier than thou type...great
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jesse on Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:58 pm

ziggystardust wrote:]

I never said that.
And he might as well be. He certainly sees more when he watches a hockey game than you fellas who thought Gonchar and Recchi would be good signings.

Because you were bawling when those deals were made.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby skullman80 on Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:58 pm

ziggystardust wrote:
skullman80 wrote:
ziggystardust wrote:
skullman80 wrote:
ziggystardust wrote:
skullman80 wrote:
ziggystardust wrote:
skullman80 wrote:
ziggystardust wrote:
NIN wrote:
KG wrote:Man, how fun is it to watch solid, competitive, team two-way hockey. I am giddy. Back-checking, puck support,,,brilliant!

This is a great game. I am very impressed with Rita's game without the puck but he is nothing compared to Whitney. WOW. When that kid wants to play he can dominate. Macinns-esque fire power with precision passing and smarts to boot.

Whitney still can't poke check. He still isn't good defensively.

Whitney has been better, much better in the past few weeks.

The devils scored last night because he went for a hit at center ice. He connected, but it resulted in an odd man rush and the devils converted.
He makes a couple mistakes a game, and he hurts the team

I never said he was Norris candidate. I'm saying his play over the past few weeks has gotten much better both offesively and on defense as well.

I'll agree with that. Where he use to be one of the worst defenseman in the league, Whitney is now just really really bad.

I won't even say bad, I will say average. He needs more seasoning, he was thrown into the fire much too soon.

Yes I think he has been average. I couldn't care less what your freind's dad or whoever says.

I'm just going by what I am seeing. He has improved. He has a long way to go, but he has gotten better.

How about what I say?
you know, considering I've been right on just about everything I've said regarding hockey this year?

Or should we listen to the people who thought Recchi would be good? Or the ones who said leclair would be a force? Or the ones who thought gonchar was a top of the line defenseman? Or that jackman and tarnstrom were fine players? Should we listen to the people who had the Canes missing the playoffs? How about the people who thought the Oilers and Sabres would stink? How about the ones who thought the Flyers would run away with the league?

No, I really don't care what you say either.

I was simply posting my opinion much like you were doing yourself. I never made Whitney out to be a great D-man at this point in his career. He needs more seasoning.

All that I was saying is over the past few weeks he has played better. That is from what I have seen, not from what my family or friends or whoever I have seen.

IMO, he has gotten better.

That's all I am saying. I couldn't care less on how many things you may have been right on this year. It makes no difference to me. You are posting your opinion and I am posting mine, neither are fact.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby NIN on Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:00 pm

ziggystardust wrote:
NIN wrote:
skullman80 wrote:

If he even becomes average defensively he will be a candidate someday. He has all the tools.

I don't think he'll ever be close to a Norris candidate. He's got nothing on either Johnson, Phaneuf, Lidstrom, Chara, Redden, Zubov, Joni....

LOL what? In 6 or 7 years when Whitney enters his prime years 2 of those guys will be gone and 2 will be at least declinning. I never seen Johnson play but NO WAY will Phanueaf be better than Whitney in 6 years. Not offensively that is, not by a long shot. Defensively Whitney is going to have to improve alot over that time but like I said, he has all the tools to at least be average in his own zone.
NIN

Postby NJ5934 on Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:00 pm

Why did we go out and get Cairns if he's not going to be dressed against the Flyers?
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DelPen on Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:04 pm

NJ5934 wrote:Why did we go out and get Cairns if he's not going to be dressed against the Flyers?

First, he's playing. Had 2 shifts with a whopping 36 seconds of ice time. Second, laqst time we played the Fleyrs he challenged Brashear a few times and the coward backed away. No point playing a guy who's only asset is fighting and no one will fight him.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Jesse on Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:06 pm

NJ5934 wrote:Why did we go out and get Cairns if he's not going to be dressed against the Flyers?

I'm pretty sure he is, man. http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/2 ... 020960.HTM

he isn't playing a lot, but he's there.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jesse on Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:06 pm

ziggystardust wrote:
actually I was laughing out loud.

Perhaps you should apply for GM, then.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby skullman80 on Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:07 pm

ziggystardust wrote:
Jesse wrote:

I never said that.

I still have no problem with the Gonchar signing, other than the money. That's on CP though being a moron, rather than Gonchar taking a 25 mil payday.

I've loved Gonchars play of late though. Loved it.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jesse on Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:10 pm

anyone else find the lavalife commerical with the lame personality rap utterly annoying??
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby skullman80 on Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:11 pm

ziggystardust wrote:
skullman80 wrote:
ziggystardust wrote:
Jesse wrote:

I never said that.

I still have no problem with the Gonchar signing, other than the money. That's on CP though being a moron, rather than Gonchar taking a 25 mil payday.

I've loved Gonchars play of late though. Loved it.

he's been fine the past few games. I've got no problem with it, but you can't seperate the man and the contract, and the fact remains he's worth about $2.5M, not $5M and that contract is going to hurt when Sid, Malkin, MAF, Orpik, Whitney, Armstrong etc are up for bigger deals.

Like I said the contract is on CP. I have no ill will towards Gonchar because CP was a moron.

He is here, he is gonna be here for the next 4 years unless something odd happens, so I'm just gonna enjoy it.

If he gets a stay at home D-man to play beside him to cover up his defensive liablites he will be that much better.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby gregor on Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:16 pm

I only have the radio feed, but it sounds like Fleury is struggling a little. (four posts and some missed open nets, etc.)

anyone actually watching the game have any better insight?
gregor
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jesse on Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:16 pm

COLBY COLBY COLBY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111

I'VE SEEN THAT FISH BEFORE!!!!

JANI FREAKING RITA.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Fast B on Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:16 pm

AHHHHH you can tie my shoes with speaker wire!!

Colby Colby Colby!!
Fast B
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jesse on Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:17 pm

gregor wrote:I only have the radio feed, but it sounds like Fleury is struggling a little. (four posts and some missed open nets, etc.)

anyone actually watching the game have any better insight?

Fleury has actually been playing great. Made some nice saves and has been positionally sound.

Defense is helping out, too. Gonchar having a monster of a game.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby skullman80 on Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:18 pm

The Armstrong/Rita/Crosby line has been playing excellent.

Assists to Rita/Crosby on the Armstrong goal. That play was made by Rita for the most part...nice long reach, back to Crosby who fed it to Armstrong for an easy goal.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Fast B on Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:18 pm

Nice hook there, Brash. Would you call that "gay"? Are the refs making this game "gay" enough for you, jagoff?
Fast B
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jesse on Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:22 pm

ziggystardust wrote:The play Rita made is something that NONE of the original roster makes

Not Leclair
not Recchi
Not Palffy
Not Lemieux

its a freaking shame those guys were brought in. We could have been seeing this team all season.

well, after the Tarny trade anyway.

I disagree. LeClair has made those plays this year. And he is/has been showing that the old man still has some nice wheels.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jesse on Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:28 pm

Andre Roy - You are a 1 Million Dollar Idiot.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby NIN on Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:29 pm

Roy is a F U C K I N G idiot.
NIN

Postby skullman80 on Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:29 pm

NIN wrote:Roy is a F U C K I N G idiot.

Quoted for truth.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jamie on Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:30 pm

NIN wrote:Roy is a F U C K I N G idiot.

Roy is stupid, but looking at that replay, I think Gauthier went high with an elbow, and that is what set Roy off. He should have waited to see if Gauthier would go before he started throwing down though.
Jamie
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins