The Wow! Edition of The Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

The Wow! Edition of The Morning After

Postby Mad City Mike on Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:52 am

Wow! Just…wow!

…Sometimes when you remove a tumor, the whole body feels better.

…This weekend was amazing. This team actually looked like it had a clue how to move the puck out of its own end. The passes were crisp. Players were where they are supposed to be. Just unbelievable to watch.

…PK with Alain Nasreddine in the lineup: 11/11. Maybe we have found the key. He does look good on the kill.

…And how about that 7-minute kill? It was a thing of beauty. And Fleury didn’t even have to be all that outstanding.

…Koltsov on the PK is a match made in heaven.

…Fleury was just tremendous all weekend. He looked confident and in control. I had thought he was starting to slide after the break, but he sure got it back for these two games. Heck, even Bibbsy Eeyore was effusive in praising him last night, so he must have been really good.

…Boy, was I wrong about Colby Armstrong. I wasn’t sure if he could play in this league. I don’t care what anybody says, he is a perfect linemate for Crosby. You need some jam on that line.

…Nice play by Rita on the second goal. I’ll say one thing about him, he can skate.

…WTF was Andre Roy thinking? Or was he?

…Another player worthy of praise is Ryan Whitney. For some reason, he is just looking SO much more confident. I guess it just kind of happens as a guy becomes more comfortable.

…I have a good feeling about Andy Hilbert.

…Not so Niklas Nordgren.

…Was last night the best game they have played in all facets this year?

…Sidney Crosby was 14/20 on the draws last night. Told you it was only a matter of time. Oh, and he was 6/6 against Forsberg.

…Head to head, Crosby has as many points against the mighty Flyers as either Gagne or Forsberg has against the lowly Pens. Wonder what that says?
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby NIN on Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:25 am

The entire defense played very well. The neautral zone closed in like a vice thanks to the hustle of players like Koltsov, Rita, and Crosby.

Oullete REALLY wants to remain a part of the NHL lineup. He may disapear for a couple games here and there but those soft hands are always dangerous.

I love to hear people say Fleury should be sent down to the AHL after a few bad games. It really makes me laugh.
NIN

I would hope

Postby rasbatch on Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:32 am

eventhough it's only 2 games in that this will quash all talk of we can bring reeking ballz back next year if we choose. :?
rasbatch
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Tazman5099 on Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:41 am

No mention of Gonchar? I think that he played a fantastic game both offensively and defensively. He was moving the puck very crisply on ht point of the power play. He looks like a new man lately. I wonder what has changed for him?
Tazman5099
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: The Wow! Edition of The Morning After

Postby Pitts on Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:51 am

Mad City Mike wrote:Wow! Just…wow!

…Sometimes when you remove a tumor, the whole body feels better.

Things that make you go hmmmm...

Mad City Mike wrote:…PK with Alain Nasreddine in the lineup: 11/11. Maybe we have found the key. He does look good on the kill.

Looking at these two games, you wonder why he hasn't seen much NHL action the past 12 years! When Alain is in the game...the Pen's win! :D

Mad City Mike wrote: …And how about that 7-minute kill? It was a thing of beauty. And Fleury didn’t even have to be all that outstanding.

It was a beautiful thing. Executed to perfection!

Mad City Mike wrote: …Boy, was I wrong about Colby Armstrong. I wasn’t sure if he could play in this league. I don’t care what anybody says, he is a perfect linemate for Crosby. You need some jam on that line.

Me too. He went from AHL pro to first line NHLer this season. He needs to stay right where he is. And, so far, Rita's looking like he belongs there too.

Mad City Mike wrote: …I have a good feeling about Andy Hilbert.

Looking like a steal of a deal so far. He had 2 goals against the Pens the last time we played Chicago.

Mad City Mike wrote:…Head to head, Crosby has as many points against the mighty Flyers as either Gagne or Forsberg has against the lowly Pens. Wonder what that says?

We found ourselves a true Flyer-Killer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Finally!!!!!!!! Life will be sweet for the next decade! :D

And, props from me too to Gonchar! Finally looking like the $5 million dollar man!!!!
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby netwolf on Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:19 am

Pitts wrote:
Mad City Mike wrote:…PK with Alain Nasreddine in the lineup: 11/11. Maybe we have found the key. He does look good on the kill.

Looking at these two games, you wonder why he hasn't seen much NHL action the past 12 years! When Alain is in the game...the Pen's win! :D

Actually, when Recchi isn't in the lineup the Pens win. Nasreddine has nothing to do with it. I see Carolina has lost 2 of 2 since picking up Recchi...
:twisted:
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:03 pm

netwolf wrote:Actually, when Recchi isn't in the lineup the Pens win. Nasreddine has nothing to do with it. I see Carolina has lost 2 of 2 since picking up Recchi...

I can't take credit for this because Ginger said it first... but you think that carolinas losses MIGHT have something to do with the loss of Cole? :roll:
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Draftnik on Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:41 pm

Nasreddine has looked good, but he needs to change that number. Every time 32 comes over the boards I get sick to my stomach.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:42 pm

Draftnik wrote:Nasreddine has looked good, but he needs to change that number. Every time 32 comes over the boards I get sick to my stomach.

I was thinking the same thing!
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pfim on Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:45 pm

Draftnik wrote:Nasreddine has looked good, but he needs to change that number. Every time 32 comes over the boards I get sick to my stomach.

Yeah, I did a few double-takes this weekend. Think we should wait a few games before anointing him Roy Hobbs, though.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:49 pm

Tazman5099 wrote:No mention of Gonchar? I think that he played a fantastic game both offensively and defensively. He was moving the puck very crisply on ht point of the power play. He looks like a new man lately. I wonder what has changed for him?

I think his groin injury is finally healed completely. His cuts are much better now where he can change his speed, especially taking it up the ice and into the zone.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Draftnik on Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:01 pm

pfim wrote:Yeah, I did a few double-takes this weekend. Think we should wait a few games before anointing him Roy Hobbs, though.

I agree. Cairns only took a few shifts by my count last night so I think Nas has supplanted him on the depth chart, at least for the time being. I don't have high expectations for an ~ 30 year old career minor leaguer, but he won a ton of 1-on-1 battles last night.

At the end of the game Cairns skated over to the runway to leave the ice while the rest of the team was congratulating MAF. I'm not sure what it means if anything, but it was an odd sight. I was surprised to see LeClair play so hard when Melichar received the A. MT is really putting Johnny Vermont in his place.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pfim on Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:02 pm

Draftnik wrote:
pfim wrote:Yeah, I did a few double-takes this weekend. Think we should wait a few games before anointing him Roy Hobbs, though.

I agree. Cairns only took a few shifts by my count last night so I think Nas has supplanted him on the depth chart, at least for the time being. I don't have high expectations for an ~ 30 year old career minor leaguer, but he won a ton of 1-on-1 battles last night.

At the end of the game Cairns skated over to the runway to leave the ice while the rest of the team was congratulating MAF. I'm not sure what it means if anything, but it was an odd sight. I was surprised to see LeClair play so hard when Melichar received the A. MT is really putting Johnny Vermont in his place.

I don't want to take anything away from 32, he's played very well.

Maybe Cairns was rushing to the locker room to beat the crap out of Roy.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Tocchet on Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:36 pm

-- Three words: Colby Colby Colby!!

-- Five more words for Colby: weight room and speed training. He has great hockey sense, skill and jam -- just wait until he adds 10 more pounds of muscle and gets a step quicker.

-- I'm really liking Andy Hilbert. Goes to the net often, quick and shifty, and actually cycles decently well for a "skill" player.

-- Who's this Nordgren I hear about? Haven't noticed him out there.

-- Nesreddine is playing very well. Not flashy and the speed is getting to him a bit in defensive-zone coverage, but I've been very impressed with how solid he's played.

-- Endicott is where he belongs, and this team looks much better for his demotion.

-- Ryan Whitney has really come on again and is playing with the confidence that comes from a realization that "I can really play at this level."
Tocchet
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Ginger on Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:56 pm

DelPen wrote:
I think his (Gonchars )groin injury is finally healed completely. His cuts are much better now where he can change his speed, especially taking it up the ice and into the zone.

I think you're right. He's looking like the Gonchar of old & the Olympic stint with someone else taking shifts didn't hurt either.

I knew we didn't have to worry for long. Good players don't all of a sudden just stop being good.
Ginger
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby netwolf on Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:15 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
netwolf wrote:Actually, when Recchi isn't in the lineup the Pens win. Nasreddine has nothing to do with it. I see Carolina has lost 2 of 2 since picking up Recchi...

I can't take credit for this because Ginger said it first... but you think that carolinas losses MIGHT have something to do with the loss of Cole? :roll:

I was just being a little facetious EPP. I don't believe Reechi is the death knell for Carolina's Cup dreams, but there's too much smoke for there to be no truth to the "Recchi is a problem in the room" fire.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BCHill on Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:24 pm

Ric Jackman talked about flying to Florida with Recchi. The interviewer asked him how much he was charged for the flight. He said Recchi paid for the whole thing himself and added that Recchi is a class guy and is just like that.

But if all of you want to keep believing Recchi is a cancer go right ahead. I just find it curious that players and writers who cover the team alike all say good things about him without being prompted to do so. I would think that if there was any truth to the rumors they might not come out and say anything bad, but they wouldn't voluntarily say good things.
BCHill

Postby HomerPenguin on Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:54 pm

BCHill wrote:Ric Jackman talked about flying to Florida with Recchi. The interviewer asked him how much he was charged for the flight. He said Recchi paid for the whole thing himself and added that Recchi is a class guy and is just like that.

But if all of you want to keep believing Recchi is a cancer go right ahead. I just find it curious that players and writers who cover the team alike all say good things about him without being prompted to do so. I would think that if there was any truth to the rumors they might not come out and say anything bad, but they wouldn't voluntarily say good things.

Dude, if Wreck is your favorite player, follow him in Carolina (at least until he goes back to Pittsburgh next year, if he does). Why waste your time complaining about folks here who don't like the guy?
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Ginger on Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:56 pm

BCHill wrote:Ric Jackman talked about flying to Florida with Recchi. The interviewer asked him how much he was charged for the flight. He said Recchi paid for the whole thing himself and added that Recchi is a class guy and is just like that.

Exactly! But then nobody likes it when something nice is said. That's why the Inquirer & the Sun do so well.

I don't know that I have a lot of respect for a sports reporter who perpetuates a rumor either. There hasn't been anyone to come right out & say that Recchi was a problem of any kind, yet all of a sudden it's cast in stone!
Recchi's been around the league for a lot of years so why now all of a sudden is he a cancer or a bad guy to have in the locker room? I just don't buy it! Even Crosby himself, like Jackman, said that Recchi (once he arrived) was one of the contributing factors in his doing well in Pittsburgh. Second to Mario of course! And Simon Gagne said that the two most influential players in his career were Mark Recchi & Eric Desjardins; that those two guys kept the locker room together in Philladelphia.
So....it's like those really small polls. Ask two people if they like something; one says no. That's 50% of those polled. :?
Ginger
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby HomerPenguin on Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:57 pm

Ginger wrote:
DelPen wrote:
I think his (Gonchars )groin injury is finally healed completely. His cuts are much better now where he can change his speed, especially taking it up the ice and into the zone.

I think you're right. He's looking like the Gonchar of old & the Olympic stint with someone else taking shifts didn't hurt either.

I knew we didn't have to worry for long. Good players don't all of a sudden just stop being good.

Didn't have to wait for long? To me, 4/5 of the season is a long time for someone to be arguably the biggest single reason why his team stinks. Good for him that he's playing better lately, but there's a saying for that: too little, too late.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby BCHill on Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:06 pm

HomerPenguin wrote:

Dude, if Wreck is your favorite player, follow him in Carolina (at least until he goes back to Pittsburgh next year, if he does). Why waste your time complaining about folks here who don't like the guy?

Why are you wasting your time complaining about me wasting my time? Just curious.
BCHill

Postby BCHill on Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:11 pm

Ginger wrote:
Exactly! But then nobody likes it when something nice is said.

Looks like Homer Penguin proved your point.

You can go back further than Rex's second stint in Philadelphia for players who have credited him with helping them out. But we don't want Homer to get too upset so we won't talk about it. :lol:
BCHill

Postby HomerPenguin on Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:11 pm

BCHill wrote:
HomerPenguin wrote:

Why are you wasting your time complaining about me wasting my time? Just curious.

LOL, you got me there. It just seems kind of sad that you're here fighting for the reputation of a guy you don't know in a forum he'll never read.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby BCHill on Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:12 pm

HomerPenguin wrote:
LOL, you got me there. It just seems kind of sad that you're here fighting for the reputation of a guy you don't know in a forum he'll never read.

There you go making assumptions.
BCHill

Postby HomerPenguin on Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:15 pm

BCHill wrote:
HomerPenguin wrote:

There you go making assumptions.

Do you know Wreck personally? If so it seems strange that you haven't mentioned that in any of your sonnets to his glory.

Does he read this forum? If he does, all I can say is that's fairly pathetic. He's getting a lot of guaranteed money to play hockey, and if he's petty enough to care what's being said about him in a forum like this then he really ought to seek help.

I'm not sure what else I could have been assuming in that statement.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins