What was Andre Roy thinking?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

What was Andre Roy thinking?

Postby Tazman5099 on Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:26 am

I really don't care what he was thinking. I like it. Opponents need to know that the Penguins have an edge to them. Sure it may have been a dumb penalty, but do you think that Gauthier will be throwing elbows again like that? To me, Roy needed to beat his *** to send a message that the Pens won't take that.

I'm still trying to decide whether or not it is worth it to dress Cairns as the seventh defensemen to put someone with a mean streak on the back line. Right now, I don't mind that one bit either. We get added toughness and double-shifting Crosby get him more icetime.
Tazman5099
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby netwolf on Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:14 am

If the Flyers had scored 2 or 3 times on that 7:00 minutes, Gauthier would take the trade every day of the week and you'd be crucifying Roy for being selfish and stupid. Roy threw a bunch of punches and ragdolled him around but did no real damage.

Elbow or not, Roy has to back of once it's clear Gauthier has no interest in the fight. Get someone to dump the puck into his side, then look to forecheck him through the glass.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Tazman5099 on Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:41 am

netwolf wrote:Elbow or not, Roy has to back of once it's clear Gauthier has no interest in the fight. Get someone to dump the puck into his side, then look to forecheck him through the glass.

I agree. While I hate the penalty, I like Roy's reaction. Too many times this year the Pens have gotten beaten up and done nothing about it. It was good to finally see a Pen standing up for himself. Sure, I would have liked it much better had Roy not put the Pens short-handed for 7 minutes, but I wouldn't curb Roy's reaction too much. Tell him to do as you say, wait for a good time to crush him into the boards or at least make sure he drops his gloves to fight.
Tazman5099
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pfim on Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:13 pm

Sure it may have been a dumb penalty, but do you think that Gauthier will be throwing elbows again like that?

Yes I do actually. Which is why it's an incredibly dumb penalty, that's exactly the reaction Gauthier was looking for.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:18 pm

pfim wrote:Yes I do actually. Which is why it's an incredibly dumb penalty, that's exactly the reaction Gauthier was looking for.

And he'd better keep looking for it the next time these two teams play. I get the strong sense we haven't seen the last of this battle.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby FlyerNation on Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:22 pm

pfim wrote:
Sure it may have been a dumb penalty, but do you think that Gauthier will be throwing elbows again like that?

Yes I do actually. Which is why it's an incredibly dumb penalty, that's exactly the reaction Gauthier was looking for.
Yeah that's stupid to think that somehow Andre Roy's actions are going to change Gauthier's style of play. Just like Kasparitis, you can beat the snot out of him all you want, it doesn't change the way they play one bit.

How about Eric Desjardins reaction? "Umm...excuse me...Andre....umm..Mr. Roy....could you please ....um stop...ah hitting.."

I don't know what pissed me off more, no one coming to his aid or the pathetic 7 minute PP with 1 shot. I hate this team.
FlyerNation

Postby skullman80 on Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:26 pm

It was a STUPID play by Roy. Period. There is no way to defend his actions. His butt should be firmly entrenched to the bench for a few games.

Just mind boggling how stupid that play was.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:32 pm

I expect him to be scratched with Bougeyman back in the line-up the next game.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Hawkeynut on Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:33 pm

I don't think he should be benched, it comes with the territory when you get a player like him. A goon doesn't make the best decisions. Gauthier picked his battle when he went in with the elbow, smart play nonetheless on his behalf as he knew Roy was a loose cannon even if he had to pay with a couple good blows to the head.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby skullman80 on Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:46 pm

Hawkeynut wrote:I don't think he should be benched, it comes with the territory when you get a player like him. A goon doesn't make the best decisions. Gauthier picked his battle when he went in with the elbow, smart play nonetheless on his behalf as he knew Roy was a loose cannon even if he had to pay with a couple good blows to the head.

Even as a goon you have to be smart and pick your spots. Roy doing what he did in a 2-0 game, is just unforgivable.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Tazman5099 on Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:22 pm

Would you change your opinion if it was Crosby who got elbowed and Roy came over and beat the crap out of Gauthier?
Tazman5099
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby skullman80 on Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:24 pm

Tazman5099 wrote:Would you change your opinion if it was Crosby who got elbowed and Roy came over and beat the crap out of Gauthier?

Nope.

Gauthier bated Roy into that penalty hook, line and sinker. Gauthier should have gotten an elbowing call, but Roy just jumped him and Gauthier turtled which while a **** move was smart and saved him from getting a fighting major.

The hit Roy took wasnt even that bad, it was an elbow but barely, no reason for Roy to react like he did especially with the score the way it was.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pfim on Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:29 pm

Tazman5099 wrote:Would you change your opinion if it was Crosby who got elbowed and Roy came over and beat the crap out of Gauthier?

Not at that point in the game, no.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Tocchet on Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:29 pm

No way would I bench Roy for that. He knows it was dumb, got yelled at by Therrien, and probably realizes how lucky he is that his teammates bailed him out with a great 7 min PK.

But Roy is effective and needs to play. He hits everything and brings an element that, quite obviously, Bogy can't supply.

Was the attack stupid when it comes in that situation? Absolutely. But I highly doubt that it happens again.
Tocchet
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Bowser on Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:33 pm

all I have to say is Andrea and Denise are quite the fighting couple.

Gauthier hides behind his shield and Roy can never seem to get his fights right.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Tocchet on Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:36 pm

Hasn't Roy won his past couple fights, not including this one?
Tocchet
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitts on Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:03 pm

Tocchet wrote:No way would I bench Roy for that. He knows it was dumb, got yelled at by Therrien, and probably realizes how lucky he is that his teammates bailed him out with a great 7 min PK.

But Roy is effective and needs to play. He hits everything and brings an element that, quite obviously, Bogy can't supply.

Was the attack stupid when it comes in that situation? Absolutely. But I highly doubt that it happens again.

I'm not saying he should be benched. Just that I expect him to. I just think Therien will sit him for a game because of this.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bowser on Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:06 pm

Tocchet - Who did he fight in those tussles? I don't remember but I think they were smaller guys.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Reilly on Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:20 pm

skullman80 wrote:

Nope.

**** you wouldn't. I can remember quite clearly the reaction from Pens fans after Hatcher messed up Crosby. :roll:

The entire season the Pens have been labled a soft team. Now, when they get physical, you want them to stop? Currently, the Pens players can play knowing that if **** happens to them that their teammates will stick up for them. It goes a long way to having a successful product on the ice.
Reilly

Postby skullman80 on Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:22 pm

Reilly wrote:
skullman80 wrote:

Nope.

**** you wouldn't. I can remember quite clearly the reaction from Pens fans after Hatcher messed up Crosby. :roll:

The entire season the Pens have been labled a soft team. Now, when they get physical, you want them to stop? Currently, the Pens players can play knowing that if **** happens to them that their teammates will stick up for them. It goes a long way to having a successful product on the ice.

Except the hit that Gauthier put on Roy wasn't anything like Hatcher put on Crosby.

Gauthier bated in Roy, and he fell hook, line and sinker. It was a stupid play by Roy at the worst possible time that could have cost the Pens the game.

It was a stupid stupid play by Roy. Period.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Reilly on Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:32 pm

skullman80 wrote:
Reilly wrote:
skullman80 wrote:

Nope.

Except the hit that Gauthier put on Roy wasn't anything like Hatcher put on Crosby.

Roy wouldn't react like that unless he got cheapshotted. You don't think Hatcher was trying to bait Crosby?
Reilly

Postby skullman80 on Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:37 pm

Reilly wrote:
skullman80 wrote:
Reilly wrote:
skullman80 wrote:

Nope.

Roy wouldn't react like that unless he got cheapshotted. You don't think Hatcher was trying to bait Crosby?

Roy didn't get cheapshotted. It was an elbow, if anything. It wasn't a dirty hit. Roy just let himself get out of control. He has to pick his spots.

I wouldn't doubt that Hatcher was trying to bait Crosby, my point was Roy went crazy for no reason at the worst possible time of the game basically handing the Flyers a 7 minute PP.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Racer17 on Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:34 pm

To be fair to Roy, it should have been 7 for him, and 2 for charging (leaving his skates) and 5 for elbowing for Gauthier. A wash.

Bad call.

What about a 3rd man in for Desjardins? I'm not saying he fought, but he did interfere.
Racer17
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Teleblues on Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:59 pm

Also it wasn't just an elbow -- it was a pretty late elbow. 2 seconds or so, but longer than the 'natural follow through' rule.
Teleblues

Postby NIN on Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:49 am

Teleblues wrote:Also it wasn't just an elbow -- it was a pretty late elbow. 2 seconds or so, but longer than the 'natural follow through' rule.

Who cares if a goon gets elbowed? Seriously! What possible harm can befall the team if players elbow the goons? None whatsoever. If your team has a 2 goal lead and nobody is running your stars take the number and wait. Or hit somebody on their team! Going right after the guy is as dumb as it gets. IT really does not get any dumber then that. SO you beat up their guy. SO WHAT! How does that help your team any?

Fighting serves a purpose in the NHL and I don't ever want to see it run out of the game but when you just attack a guy out of passion without using your head then you are the one who looks liike a week little *****. Roy needs to get his **** under controll and square off WITH the other guy. He is a **** tool and this isnt the first time he has done that but in the 3rd with a 2 goal lead? Are you guys **** retarded or are you just dumb?
NIN

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins