Dare I say...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Dare I say...

Postby topshelf on Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:07 am

... the Gonchar signing is starting to look good? If he keeps up this play, this deal might pan out afterall.
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Tazman5099 on Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:16 am

Don't jinx it!!! :lol:
Tazman5099
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby netwolf on Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:20 am

He's actually been better over the past 15-20 games. People were just slow to realize it. 8)
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Hawkeynut on Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:28 pm

I think the best thing for Gonchar and the Penguins organization is Michel Therrien. Gonchar can't play on an unstructured team. Gonchar knows his role and what he has to do.. and well now we are seeing what he can do.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby BJL on Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:43 pm

He's hustling to pucks, diving at pucks... and last night he even chased a guy behind our own net and DIDN'T reach out and take a holding penalty.
BJL
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby skullman80 on Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:47 pm

Gonchar has played fantastic the past month or so.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Dare I say...

Postby HomerPenguin on Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:13 pm

topshelf wrote:... the Gonchar signing is starting to look good? If he keeps up this play, this deal might pan out afterall.

Well, if you're happy with half a season of play that isn't utterly vomit-inducing, then I guess the deal looks good. At this point I need to see which Gonchar shows up to start next season before I make up my mind.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Dare I say...

Postby Defence21 on Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:50 pm

HomerPenguin wrote:Well, if you're happy with half a season of play that isn't utterly vomit-inducing, then I guess the deal looks good. At this point I need to see which Gonchar shows up to start next season before I make up my mind.

Exactly. He had a supbar first half and is having a good second half. We've now seen both Gonchar's. Obviously something has clicked with him. If it sticks, this deal is worthwhile. If he has a mental relapse, well, then this deal looks bad.

I think one of the keys this summer will be to sign a sold defensive defenseman to pair with him. Orpik and Whitney together would make a nice pairing and then Scuderi and Welch. If they could get a guy in the mold of Marek Malik or Ruslan Salei to sign here at a nice price -- say $2 mil to $3 mil -- Gonchar might be able to become a bit more creative and less worried about playing a defensive game, which he sucks at.

Also, I am wondering if Gonchar had a problem with Lemieux or Palffy -- or maybe vice versa. It seems that since both guys have retired, Gonchar has stepped up his game. Maybe it's coincidence. Maybe it's because he felt more pressure to provide offense. Or maybe it was because he didn't feel at ease with these guys around.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MrKnowNothing on Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:06 pm

I don't think it is a coincidence that Gonchar's play has improved with the team looking like a smarter team who actually knows what they are doing.

In the opposite situation, Gonchar's weaknesses are exploited and he looks really bad.
MrKnowNothing

Postby freq019 on Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:08 pm

He could finally be healthy too? There were rumors he had some shoulder problems early in the season as well. It could also be pairing him with Scuds gives him more room to be himself without worrying about staying back as much? A lot has changed in a few months but I agree he is playing better.
freq019
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins