Russian Super League playoffs - Morozov on fire

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby NIN on Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:22 am

netwolf wrote:
NIN wrote:It's not without risk, that's for sure. I would go as high as 1.5 for 1 year only if I were desperate, which the Pens are.

Why would someone waste a pick on a guy who is going to be an UFA at the end of the season anyways? Why not wait and see how he plays overseas and then make him a low low offer. I think a few teams might have that same idea and so the price goes up.

Morozov's failure at the NHL level does'nt take away from the fact that he has had some success and a 28 year old can play alot better then a 26 year old sometimes.

I was talking about last summer before the season started. Teams knew Patrick had no interest in re-signing Morozov and could have had his rights for practically nothing if they wanted. Then they could have signed him for a one year deal to see what he could do.

None of this makes any difference because I think Morozov is happy in the RSL. I don't think he has any desire to come back to North America.

Well as you know last summer there were ALOT of options available for teams looking for scoring wingers so moving a 6th rounder for a guy who went 42 games without a goal wasnt a priority for any team.

Also, Patrick never expressed a desire to trade Morozov. Morozov was regarded as a potential player up until LeClair was signed. They had about 2 million left in cap space that they were saving for Malkin. When that fell through the choices pretty much came down to LeClair or Morozov and I think we know who had the better track record. By that time rosters were pretty much set around the league and Morozov- who never really cared if he played in the NHL this season anyways- wasnt in anybodys plans.

PR wise Morozov acts like he has mono or something and he probably looks down his nose at our country. He is tough to read because he mumbles with an accent. It's tough to build chemistry with a guy with those communictaion skills but I hear Malkin is pretty much a hard-core russian bear himself so who knows how that whole thing would work out.

I doubt he would want to leave Russia but there might be some money out there for him in the NHL if he wants to go for it. There are probably a few russian teams that would offer more anyways so Morozv would need a labotomy to play here.
NIN

Postby ivand87 on Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:51 am

Now that we've lost Mario, Palffy and Recchi, Morozov should come back.

CP or whoever is the GM next year have to make sure that Malkin and Morozov make it to training camp on time. Those 2 guys have to be in the lineup on opening night.
ivand87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:44 am

I don't think Morozov will be back, at least not with the Pens. I doubt that he could be had for $1-$2 million and I would assume that there are some teams who are willing to offer him more.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Zscout on Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:58 am

netwolf wrote:
Also, if Morozov was on this team and was a point a game player, he would be second on the team behind Crosby. :|

He was the number 2 scorer in 03/04 with 50 point. Even though he had the long drought of scoring a goal that season. Morozov showed flashes when he played on a line with Mario in 02/03 - of course lots of players showed flashes when they played with Mario.....
Zscout

Postby netwolf on Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:53 am

NIN wrote:Well as you know last summer there were ALOT of options available for teams looking for scoring wingers so moving a 6th rounder for a guy who went 42 games without a goal wasnt a priority for any team.

Also, Patrick never expressed a desire to trade Morozov. Morozov was regarded as a potential player up until LeClair was signed. They had about 2 million left in cap space that they were saving for Malkin. When that fell through the choices pretty much came down to LeClair or Morozov and I think we know who had the better track record. By that time rosters were pretty much set around the league and Morozov- who never really cared if he played in the NHL this season anyways- wasnt in anybodys plans.

And if they didn't want to give up a 6th rounder of wahtever at that time, why in the world would they want to shell out $1-2 million for him now? He's the same player from a year ago, only with another year away from the NHL under his belt. I don't care how limited the FA crop may or may not be this year, it's not enough to warrant that price for him.

And Patrick might not have been looking to trade him, but if approached he would have be cuase he sure as heck had no interest in signing him. Morozov was never an option for Patrick last summer unles Morozov wanted to play for the league minimum on a 2way deal, and even then I'm not so sure Patrick would have done it.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby NIN on Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:51 am

And if they didn't want to give up a 6th rounder of wahtever at that time, why in the world would they want to shell out $1-2 million for him now?

Like I have been saying. Consistant scoring leader all season long in a very strong and respected league. Maturity. Affordability, 1.5 million IS NOT alot of moeny for a 2nd line winger. Previous NHL success combined with 2 years maturity overseas and did I mention the consistancy?

And Patrick might not have been looking to trade him, but if approached he would have be cuase he sure as heck had no interest in signing him.

He held onto him for the reasons I listed above. There is no credible source that suggest he was trying to move his rights or entertain offers. If not for LeClair Morozov could very well be playing here right now.
NIN

Postby netwolf on Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:48 am

NIN wrote:Like I have been saying. Consistant scoring leader all season long in a very strong and respected league. Maturity. Affordability, 1.5 million IS NOT alot of moeny for a 2nd line winger. Previous NHL success combined with 2 years maturity overseas and did I mention the consistancy?

He held onto him for the reasons I listed above. There is no credible source that suggest he was trying to move his rights or entertain offers. If not for LeClair Morozov could very well be playing here right now.

Consistency in the RSL isn't consistency in the NHL. Again, I think you are overestimating what RSL production means to GMs unlease you are talking about draft-eligible kids. Once a player fizzles out of the NHL and goes back to Europe, the chance of them ever returning to the league is minimal. Furthermore, I don't think there has ever been a case when a player bombed out of the NHL, went to Europe, and was then brought back to the NHL at a higher price than when he left. Now there's a cap in place. It's not going to happen.

If you really believe the LeClair signing is the only reason Patrick didn't sign Morozov, you are kidding yourself. Patrick soured on him a while ago and by some accounts was outright ticked off at him for signing with the Russian team before the lockout with no escape clause.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: .

Postby Pitts on Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:08 pm

Gaucho wrote:I don't think Morozov will be back, at least not with the Pens. I doubt that he could be had for $1-$2 million and I would assume that there are some teams who are willing to offer him more.

There will be no teams willing to offer him more! He hasn't played in the NHL for 2 seasons now! He will max out at around $1.5 mil. I'd like to see the Pens give him another shot. I think he may work well with Crosby and Malkin in this "new" NHL.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby NIN on Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:34 pm

netwolf wrote:Consistency in the RSL isn't consistency in the NHL. Again, I think you are overestimating what RSL production means to GMs unlease you are talking about draft-eligible kids. Once a player fizzles out of the NHL and goes back to Europe, the chance of them ever returning to the league is minimal. Furthermore, I don't think there has ever been a case when a player bombed out of the NHL, went to Europe, and was then brought back to the NHL at a higher price than when he left. Now there's a cap in place. It's not going to happen.

If you really believe the LeClair signing is the only reason Patrick didn't sign Morozov, you are kidding yourself. Patrick soured on him a while ago and by some accounts was outright ticked off at him for signing with the Russian team before the lockout with no escape clause.

Again. 1.5 million is not alot of money for a 2nd line winger, cap or otherwise. It might be alittle below average. I think Morozov is worth about 750K but if there are 6 or 7 teams making offers it could go up to 1.5, and that is what Morozov would have gotten in an arbitration based on his statistics. In the hockey world outside of Pittsburgh some poeple will note the success Morozov had in the NHL and some might even agree that his last 15 games in the league were anything but a failure. To say he "fizzeled out" is your opinion and not the entire hockey worlds. Some might suggest "bombing out" is just the expressions used to make him the poster boy for a failed season by an incredibly bad team. I said what I think about Morozov but I also can acknowledge the fact that the rest of the world might see something more and is willing to take a chance.

Obviously Patrick was going to go out and find an alternative to Morozov and he did. However, if you think that he would have thrown away his last contingency because of feelings you are mistaken.
NIN

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins