Back from the 'Burgh

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Back from the 'Burgh

Postby The Snapshot on Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:03 pm

I was lucky enough to add this past weekend to my plans, after every game I originally chose within my partial season ticket had been a bust.

My brother-in-law visited Pittsburgh for the first time, and he loved every minute of it (we stayed at the William Penn and ate Primanti's 4 times in 48 hours at his insistence). This trip got scheduled after I picked my games, so these became games 11 and 12 for the year.

He knows hockey well, being associated with Junior A all over the country, and living in Minneapolis since college. He came away very impressed with the young talent on the team, and their future.

I have to say, that when he and I went over the current roster, and looked at who we thought would be here in 3 years, we came up with 10 players. Now, knowing that Malkin is coming, Welch is more than likely here next year and that we have a good shot at a top 3 pick - a weekend played at the level they showed gives me a lot of optimism for better times.

If management can make one or two solid additions with Free Agents, and the top 6 young guys (Army, Crosby, Whitney, Orpik, Fluery and Oulette) all progress next year - this team can be very entertaining.

Gonchar has rebounded, and I hope that he can start next year off without the strain of adjusting to a new city, staff and system. Malone is still a guy who can become a true contributor as well.

I firmly believe Malkin will be the Rookie of the Year next year hands down.

Add Welch to the mix on D, sign a "true" veteran D-man (not an end-of- their career guy) from the long list of Free Agents and this team is only missing a true sniper to add to what I believe can be 25-30 guys in Armstrong and Oullete.

I know it was only two wins, but I witnessed tenacity, speed in the transition game and dare I say it, smart hockey against two of the better teams in our conference,

Thinking of how many "close" games they have played as well - there can be vast improvement in the record next year with only minor improvement in a few key areas.

There is hope again, and the kids all seem to want to be here. Winning is a disease.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby netwolf on Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:15 pm

This weekend was an example of how good fans get rewarded during an otherwise forgettable season. Last season it was the occiasional win or maybe a highlight reel goal from Malone. Now it's a blowout of Washington, or a Crosby pass that's so crazy-sick that at first you begin to yell "where are you throwing that to?" only to have aanother Pen appear out of nowhere to get an excellent scoring opportunity.

Good times are ahead.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby The Snapshot on Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:21 pm

netwolf wrote:This weekend was an example of how good fans get rewarded during an otherwise forgettable season. Last season it was the occiasional win or maybe a highlight reel goal from Malone. Now it's a blowout of Washington, or a Crosby pass that's so crazy-sick that at first you begin to yell "where are you throwing that to?" only to have aanother Pen appear out of nowhere to get an excellent scoring opportunity.

Good times are ahead.

Yeah, I think this weekend was markedly different than the tease we were given at the end of "03, because it came from guys who are just starting their careers, not from guys who were playing their last games as Pens - like Morozov, Kraft, Wilson, Fata, Buchburger, etc.

I do not wear a Jersey of any player (it's not my thing), but I am SOOOO close to buying an Arnstrong jersey it is scarey. That kid is a gamer who has a little flava' to his game. Can't wait to see him next year after he puts on another 8-10 pounds of muscle.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Ginger on Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:24 pm

Yes, what he said!

Everyone has been so negative this season (not without reason) & I've just been staying out of the discussions for that reason. You know when you're beat before you start.

I agree; just look at this roster. And think about how many "close" games there have been & not just against any teams but formitable foe! They've even come out with wins where fans said they wouldn't. Okay, so far as I've seen, the team hasn't quit as quickly as the fans did. They just kept moving forward & playing their game & trying to get the puck in the net. Has it been frustrating to watch? Do hives itch? I think we just lose faith too fast.

This has been an exasperating year, but when you look at all the stuff that's happened this year, it really can't be blamed on the guys that are currently on the roster. Mario has serious health problems & has to retire; Palffy retires, Gonchar has chronic groin problems & doesn't play as well as *we* expected, Fleury wasn't brought up soon enough so we had to go with Caron & TiBo.
So Orpiks IQ doubled overnight & he's playing smart for the most part, Whitney's showing great promise, the others are meshing & are reading each other out there & Crosby is, well, Crosby. With a new playmate arriving in the fall to shut up all the naysayers once & for all.
You'd hope anyway.
Ginger
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby netwolf on Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:37 pm

The Snapshot wrote:I do not wear a Jersey of any player (it's not my thing), but I am SOOOO close to buying an Arnstrong jersey it is scarey. That kid is a gamer who has a little flava' to his game. Can't wait to see him next year after he puts on another 8-10 pounds of muscle.

Can't go wrong with and old school Cup-era, Ron Francis away jersey. That's how I roll.

I'll be going Malkin as soon as he gets over here too.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ville5 on Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:04 pm

First off- net, where the he!! are you getting those emoticons???????
Second- I would love to see us go after a Denis Gauthier type d-man, who I believe is an UFA after this season. Then AFTER you sign the d-man, try to get a Chistov type winger in here.
Add in Malkin and Kessel or Johnson and the team should be VERY entertaining and good next season. If you feel Johnson can step in, ala Phaneuf, you take him. If not, Kessel's the man.
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:12 pm

ville5 wrote:I would love to see us go after a Denis Gauthier type d-man, who I believe is an UFA after this season. Then AFTER you sign the d-man, try to get a Chistov type winger in here.
Add in Malkin and Kessel or Johnson and the team should be VERY entertaining and good next season. If you feel Johnson can step in, ala Phaneuf, you take him. If not, Kessel's the man.

Just a few notes.

I like your suggestions fo Gauthier and Chistov. But my problem with them is that they might not be available. Gauthier is a free agent, but he was traded to the Flyers, who love his style of play. I could see them retaining him before he becomes a UFA. As for Chistov, doesn't Anaheim hold his rights? If he could be pried from them, what would it cost? It might be more worthwhile to go after someone more attainable -- like a Samsonov.

I might add that Sushinsky might be the perfect signing. He showed during the Olympics that he has skill and chemisty with Malkin. This could go a long way in easing Malkin into the NHL.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ville5 on Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:17 pm

Is Sushinsky free or does he have a contract? Samsonov is way too frail for the kind of scratch he's gonna command.
Anyone know of a list of impending UFA's ?
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby netwolf on Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:54 pm

If Sushinsky's english is as non-existent as Malkin's I have zero interest and I have little interest in him to begin with. I don't think bringing in a guy from outside the NHL will help Malkin's transition at all. They need to find a Russian Jiri Hrdina. I wonder if Igor Larionov can still play? :?
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Ginger on Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:50 am

netwolf wrote:If Sushinsky's english is as non-existent as Malkin's I have zero interest and I have little interest in him to begin with. I don't think bringing in a guy from outside the NHL will help Malkin's transition at all. They need to find a Russian Jiri Hrdina. I wonder if Igor Larionov can still play? :?

:D I don't know but I'll let you know after Saturday March 25. I'll be seeing him & a bunch of others including my old idol Butch Goring.

You will see former Hockey Greats and Hockey Hall of Fame members on the ice together for what is being called the largest gathering of NHL stars in Las Vegas history. These players represent 19 different NHL teams, many of whom have won the coveted Stanley Cup. You will see such stars as Igor Larionov, Dino Ciccarelli, and Marty McSorley, just to name a few.

BLECH! You can't win 'em all.

http://www.orleansarena.com/press/06-nhl.html
Ginger
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby HomerPenguin on Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:15 pm

Ginger wrote:Yes, what he said!

Everyone has been so negative this season (not without reason) & I've just been staying out of the discussions for that reason. You know when you're beat before you start.

I agree; just look at this roster. And think about how many "close" games there have been & not just against any teams but formitable foe! They've even come out with wins where fans said they wouldn't. Okay, so far as I've seen, the team hasn't quit as quickly as the fans did. They just kept moving forward & playing their game & trying to get the puck in the net. Has it been frustrating to watch? Do hives itch? I think we just lose faith too fast.

Excuse me, "lose faith too fast?" This team was expected to make the playoffs. I think most people "lost faith" when it became mathematically unlikely that they would do so. They're playing better now? Great. This season is still over and there's absolutely no guarantee that their play now will carry over into the rest of this season, let alone next season.

This has been an exasperating year, but when you look at all the stuff that's happened this year, it really can't be blamed on the guys that are currently on the roster. Mario has serious health problems & has to retire; Palffy retires, Gonchar has chronic groin problems & doesn't play as well as *we* expected, Fleury wasn't brought up soon enough so we had to go with Caron & TiBo.

No, Gonchar wasn't playing well. "Expectations" had nothing to do with it, as unless your expectations were that Gonchar would be of no value offensively and of negative value defensively then Gonchar was underperforming. He was objectively bad.

So Orpiks IQ doubled overnight & he's playing smart for the most part, Whitney's showing great promise, the others are meshing & are reading each other out there & Crosby is, well, Crosby. With a new playmate arriving in the fall to shut up all the naysayers once & for all.
You'd hope anyway.

WTF are you talking about? This team is probably going to finish in last place overall and you're complaining about naysayers? How can anybody naysay a team this bad?

Does next season look to be better than this one? Sure; how could it be worse?
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby conforto45 on Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:24 pm

i agree.. Armstrong can really be a solid player in this league. he is probably one of the hardest working players on this team.

i can remember whenever he first got called up.. i looked at the TV and said "who in the he!! is this albino looking twig who looks like he has no idea what hes doing"....

then he went in and put a wallop of a hit on Forsberg and I was instantly a fan of that albino looking kid.

he is constantly hustling his rear off out there, he is a good teammate and apparently gets along great w/ everyone else.

I got excited whenever I first saw Malone play, and he hasnt been close to repeating in his sophomore season. I hope this kid doesnt do the same
conforto45
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Ginger on Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:38 pm

HomerPenguin wrote:
WTF are you talking about? This team is probably going to finish in last place overall and you're complaining about naysayers? How can anybody naysay a team this bad?

Jeez, switch to decaf, it was my opinion & I'm not asking you to have it tattooed on your chest!

Yeah, some people expected they would make the playoffs. Obviously they were wrong. You can't throw a bunch of players together who've never played together (including ones who've never even played in the NHL before) & really be surprised when it doesn't go as well as (you) planned. Mistakes get make, sometimes costly ones. Slumps happen, chemistry doesn't magically appear overnight...or at all. All number of things can & did go wrong.
Not all tho', we also got help from guys we never expected to get help from. And those guys are still on the roster & ready to play next season.

As for my remark about Orpik, I stand by that. He has everything it takes to be an excellent d-man, but many times he made some really assinine decisions that cost the game. He took penalties at the worse possible times.
He's smarter about that now.
Ginger
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby HomerPenguin on Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:15 pm

Ginger wrote:
HomerPenguin wrote:

Jeez, switch to decaf, it was my opinion & I'm not asking you to have it tattooed on your chest!

Yeah, some people expected they would make the playoffs. Obviously they were wrong. You can't throw a bunch of players together who've never played together (including ones who've never even played in the NHL before) & really be surprised when it doesn't go as well as (you) planned. Mistakes get make, sometimes costly ones. Slumps happen, chemistry doesn't magically appear overnight...or at all. All number of things can & did go wrong.

Yeah, "some people" like, for example, the entire Penguins organization. They went out and bought a bunch of veterans who would have served no purpose on a rebuilding non-contender, and they're the ones who whooped everybody up with the "win one more for Mario" talk. They raised expectations and they need to live with the fact that a lot of fans are disappointed in the results. You call us naysayers like we had no business ever expecting this team to be successful, when those expectations were created and fostered by the organization.

Yeah, "chemistry" was potentially a problem if you believe in that sort of thing, but on a good team "chemistry" resolves itself. If you're still complaining about "chemistry" after 60% of the season has been played, you don't have a chemistry problem; you've got a really f-ing bad hockey team. "Chemistry" didn't make Thibault play like dog crap, and it didn't make Gonchar play worse than that. Notice how you never talk about any bad teams having good "chemistry?" I wonder what that says about the concept of "chemistry" and whether it can be separated from the concept of "playing smart hockey and winning games."
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Ginger on Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:40 pm

HomerPenguin wrote:
Yeah, "some people" like, for example, the entire Penguins organization. They went out and bought a bunch of veterans who would have served no purpose on a rebuilding non-contender, and they're the ones who whooped everybody up with the "win one more for Mario" talk. They raised expectations and they need to live with the fact that a lot of fans are disappointed in the results. You call us naysayers like we had no business ever expecting this team to be successful, when those expectations were created and fostered by the organization.

Well what are they supposed to say; 'we gather together here to stink up the ice?' They also wanted to do well & intended to.
As for living with letting everyone down, I'm sure they do. And if they aren't getting that from within, they sure as hell hear it often enough now from every other source don't they? Malone didn't expect to dry up after all indications were that he was going to be good. Gonchar didn't expect to lose confidence; TiBo...well sorry, but TiBo has always been hovering on crappy. A bad signing & he gave as good as I ever expected him to give. LeClair was as expected if you look back over the posts, the same with Recchi. So if everyone had opinions about these guys individually, then why are they surprised that as a unit they bombed?

Yeah, "chemistry" was potentially a problem if you believe in that sort of thing, but on a good team "chemistry" resolves itself. If you're still complaining about "chemistry" after 60% of the season has been played, you don't have a chemistry problem; you've got a really f-ing bad hockey team. "Chemistry" didn't make Thibault play like dog crap, and it didn't make Gonchar play worse than that. Notice how you never talk about any bad teams having good "chemistry?" I wonder what that says about the concept of "chemistry" and whether it can be separated from the concept of "playing smart hockey and winning games."

Er, there's good chemistry & there's bad chemistry & I surely do believe in 'that sort of thing'. No, a bad team can't have good chemistry, & good teams won't have bad chemistry for very long either. They usually ship the bad stuff off to another team...read Barrasso; read Jagr.

All I said in the beginning (in response to Snapshot) was that we did have promising players & our roster looked good going into next season. I was agreeing with him & adding that it may quiet the naysayers.
So what's your problem with that? It's not like you were a part of that original conversation.
Ginger
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Hehe, I got you in trouble Ginger. Homer is cranky. Doh!!

Postby The Snapshot on Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:08 pm

Ginger wrote:
HomerPenguin wrote:

Well what are they supposed to say; 'we gather together here to stink up the ice?' They also wanted to do well & intended to.
As for living with letting everyone down, I'm sure they do. And if they aren't getting that from within, they sure as hell hear it often enough now from every other source don't they? Malone didn't expect to dry up after all indications were that he was going to be good. Gonchar didn't expect to lose confidence; TiBo...well sorry, but TiBo has always been hovering on crappy. A bad signing & he gave as good as I ever expected him to give. LeClair was as expected if you look back over the posts, the same with Recchi. So if everyone had opinions about these guys individually, then why are they surprised that as a unit they bombed?

Er, there's good chemistry & there's bad chemistry & I surely do believe in 'that sort of thing'. No, a bad team can't have good chemistry, & good teams won't have bad chemistry for very long either. They usually ship the bad stuff off to another team...read Barrasso; read Jagr.

All I said in the beginning (in response to Snapshot) was that we did have promising players & our roster looked good going into next season. I was agreeing with him & adding that it may quiet the naysayers.
So what's your problem with that? It's not like you were a part of that original conversation.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby HomerPenguin on Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:37 pm

Ginger wrote:All I said in the beginning (in response to Snapshot) was that we did have promising players & our roster looked good going into next season. I was agreeing with him & adding that it may quiet the naysayers.

My problem is the continuation of this "la, la, everything is great and I can't hear you" optimism (the one that was the dominant perspective in this and every other Penguins forum until the second horrific month of the season) in the face of what has absolutely been a sickeningly bad, terribly underachieving team. My problem is the revisionist history that now criticizes people who have understandably had enough of this team's sloppy, unmovitated play as having had "unrealistically high expectations." This team has underachieved by ANY expectations, unless your expectations were that they were going to be trapped inside the home locker room at Mellon Arena all year and forfeit every one of their games. My problem is that there are people who still want to "shut up those naysayers," like we're the only ones not seeing the pot of gold at the end of this wonderful rainbow the team has given us. As far as I'm concerned, the franchise fed its fans a giant turd sandwich this year, and really it's OK to admit that and be critical of them for it.

Don't get me wrong, if you want to live in the world of permanent sunshine where nothing is ever wrong with the Penguins, be my guest. But don't take shots at those who aren't in your world by hoping those "naysayers" will "shut up."
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby The Snapshot on Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:45 pm

HomerPenguin wrote:
My problem is the continuation of this "la, la, everything is great and I can't hear you" optimism (the one that was the dominant perspective in this and every other Penguins forum until the second horrific month of the season) in the face of what has absolutely been a sickeningly bad, terribly underachieving team. My problem is the revisionist history that now criticizes people who have understandably had enough of this team's sloppy, unmovitated play as having had "unrealistically high expectations." This team has underachieved by ANY expectations, unless your expectations were that they were going to be trapped inside the home locker room at Mellon Arena all year and forfeit every one of their games. My problem is that there are people who still want to "shut up those naysayers," like we're the only ones not seeing the pot of gold at the end of this wonderful rainbow the team has given us. As far as I'm concerned, the franchise fed its fans a giant turd sandwich this year, and really it's OK to admit that and be critical of them for it.

Don't get me wrong, if you want to live in the world of permanent sunshine where nothing is ever wrong with the Penguins, be my guest. But don't take shots at those who aren't in your world by hoping those "naysayers" will "shut up."

This board was such a morass of crap that I quit posting, but I digress. Ginger was not saying that she wanted naysayers to "shut up". If that's your thing, that you alone can see how terrible things are today (well, duh!! they are dead last!), then more power to you.

It was a simple comment that if these guys step up next year the naysayers would have less to get off on.

By all means, get your b*tch on if it makes to happy.

The team has a ton of good stuff going on, granted that it is buried under a pile of losses with a team that started the year in the AHL. That doesn't absolve the guys who started the season here from having laid a tremendous egg. It just means the guys here right now have shown some signs of being able to play the way I'd like my team to play.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby HomerPenguin on Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:55 pm

The Snapshot wrote:This board was such a morass of crap that I quit posting, but I digress. Ginger was not saying that she wanted naysayers to "shut up". If that's your thing, that you alone can see how terrible things are today (well, duh!! they are dead last!), then more power to you.

Here's what she said verbatim (bold mine):
You'd hope anyway

Now, in the Prisuta thread we're talking about creatively rewriting what people have written to say what we wish it said. Maybe you could tell me how you'd rewrite that so it doesn't say "I hope we shut those naysayers up."

It was a simple comment that if these guys step up next year the naysayers would have less to get off on.

With all due respect, you don't know me, so kiss my Irish ***. I'd love to be here talking about a successful playoff-bound team, but that's not a reality. I don't "get off" on my favorite sports franchise underperforming in embarassing fashion. But Ginger and now you seem to enjoy taking unwarranted pot-shots at anybody who doesn't think this team is going to win every game it plays from now until perdition, even though nobody here is taking potshots at you folks with rose-colored glasses. That irritates me.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Ginger on Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:14 pm

The Snapshot wrote:

The team has a ton of good stuff going on, granted that it is buried under a pile of losses with a team that started the year in the AHL. That doesn't absolve the guys who started the season here from having laid a tremendous egg. It just means the guys here right now have shown some signs of being able to play the way I'd like my team to play.

Snap, where'd you learn to talk so good huh? You managed to say it all in so few words.

Yes, that's exactly what I was trying to say. If things could have been worse this year I don't know how. There was precious little to say good about them. But rather than just whine & whine & whine & whine & then whine some more about how bad they were all the time, I tried to find some positives. Gawd knows it was pretty thick slogging to find them but they are there. And I think that even tho' we got nothing out of it this year, we will have something next year...as you said.

Next year with the young guys having a full year of NHL experience & adding a few new members besides Malkin (which I'm sure we will) I think the whining will cease.

Maybe that's an easier choice of words for Homer to understand. Because obviously he doesn't know what naysayer means.
Homer hun, if you're reading, a naysayer is a person who takes a pessimistic or a negative view of something. That's all. Are you not a naysayer? With the team playing the way it has all season you have every right to feel negative if you like. But I choose to look for the positives & I've found some, so I'll stay with that until proven wrong.
Ginger
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby HomerPenguin on Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:28 am

Ginger wrote:Maybe that's an easier choice of words for Homer to understand. Because obviously he doesn't know what naysayer means.
Homer hun, if you're reading, a naysayer is a person who takes a pessimistic or a negative view of something. That's all. Are you not a naysayer? With the team playing the way it has all season you have every right to feel negative if you like. But I choose to look for the positives & I've found some, so I'll stay with that until proven wrong.

LOL

Ginger, if you'd like to match vocabulary sometime, you let me know. It would be interesting to see how long you could hang. Needless to say, I know what a naysayer is, and I also know what the word means when it's used in the context of your original post. More important, I know what it means when you say that you hope something shuts them up. Whether I'm a naysayer or not, where you get off hoping to shut anybody up is beyond me.

Notice that I have not once in the course of this thread criticized you for taking an optimistic view of what's going on with the team. I'm only interested in making sure that everybody gets that same courtesy extended to them. I guess you meant that you hoped the naysayers would be shut up in the nicest possible way, but it still seems pretty snarky to me.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby The Snapshot on Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:57 am

HomerPenguin wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:This board was such a morass of crap that I quit posting, but I digress. Ginger was not saying that she wanted naysayers to "shut up". If that's your thing, that you alone can see how terrible things are today (well, duh!! they are dead last!), then more power to you.

Here's what she said verbatim (bold mine):
You'd hope anyway

Now, in the Prisuta thread we're talking about creatively rewriting what people have written to say what we wish it said. Maybe you could tell me how you'd rewrite that so it doesn't say "I hope we shut those naysayers up."

With all due respect, you don't know me, so kiss my Irish ***. I'd love to be here talking about a successful playoff-bound team, but that's not a reality. I don't "get off" on my favorite sports franchise underperforming in embarassing fashion. But Ginger and now you seem to enjoy taking unwarranted pot-shots at anybody who doesn't think this team is going to win every game it plays from now until perdition, even though nobody here is taking potshots at you folks with rose-colored glasses. That irritates me.

The glasses are not rose-colored, and nobody said that they were going to win every game. Nice creative license Homey.

Kiss my Irish *ss, with no due respect. I didn't take a pot shot, so perhaps you should check yourself. YOU are the one who readily annointed yourself the naysayer of record. I don't know why, but maybe you can come up with something in your soul that made it so.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Back from the 'Burgh

Postby rasbatch on Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:04 am

The Snapshot wrote:(we stayed at the William Penn and ate Primanti's 4 times in 48 hours at his insistence). This trip got scheduled after I picked my games, so these became games 11 and 12 for the year.

I bow to your superior nature. I mean I love primanti's but 4 in 48 that's alot. Nice, summary I think your right on the mark. Still makes the question johnson, or kessel or trade it for the sniper?
rasbatch
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Back from the 'Burgh

Postby The Snapshot on Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:02 am

rasbatch wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:(we stayed at the William Penn and ate Primanti's 4 times in 48 hours at his insistence). This trip got scheduled after I picked my games, so these became games 11 and 12 for the year.

I bow to your superior nature. I mean I love primanti's but 4 in 48 that's alot. Nice, summary I think your right on the mark. Still makes the question johnson, or kessel or trade it for the sniper?

I can't take the credit. It was my brother in law that was hyped enough on the samich he got first trip to keep wanting to go back.

I have to say that eating them before and after both games was rough on the system. I'm still feeling it. The only other meals we ate were at Fatheads and Big Jim's near Hazelton (a dive bar that has great bar food). I am still sweating out grease.

I'm not sure who they should draft, but my thought is that there is a dearth of "big time" scorers in the system, so I go offense. Crosby and Malkin are the goods, but they have to find guys who could score goals in the NHL without these guys as their center. Once you find that guy, and play him with either center, 50 goals should be the watermark for success.

Ouellet and Armstrong may score 30, but I'm not sure either is really a 50 goal guy in the NHL.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby HomerPenguin on Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:50 pm

The Snapshot wrote:Kiss my Irish *ss, with no due respect. I didn't take a pot shot, so perhaps you should check yourself. YOU are the one who readily annointed yourself the naysayer of record. I don't know why, but maybe you can come up with something in your soul that made it so.

Well I've been pretty critical of the team this year, so it would be disingenuous of me to claim otherwise. I don't like being told to shut up, or having somebody hope to shut me up, or whatever you want to call it.

But that's all water under the bridge. Mostly I just wanted to extend a heartfelt offer for you to blow me.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins