Ovechkin may hit a cold streak with the Caps schedule

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Ovechkin may hit a cold streak with the Caps schedule

Postby Southern Fan on Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:04 am

Sid may catch AO in scoring by the end of the year. 12 of the caps last 15 games are on the road with 2 of 3 home games against Carolina

Actually, the caps have 5 games left with Carolina

We have 4 games left with the Islanders which I think Sid will light up.
Southern Fan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pitts on Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:26 am

I don't think it matters. Even if Sid passes him in points total, I think AO will get the Calder. He has been the more exciting of the 2.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mnpensfan on Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:29 am

Pitts wrote:I don't think it matters. Even if Sid passes him in points total, I think AO will get the Calder. He has been the more exciting of the 2.

Agreed.....plus he should probably reach 50 goals. And as a rookie I feel that should garner him the award alone.
mnpensfan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DelPen on Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:22 am

mnpensfan wrote:
Pitts wrote:I don't think it matters. Even if Sid passes him in points total, I think AO will get the Calder. He has been the more exciting of the 2.

Agreed.....plus he should probably reach 50 goals. And as a rookie I feel that should garner him the award alone.

What if Crosby gets more goals and points? I don't think he will unless Ovechkin gets hurt and is done for the year the next time he steps on the ice.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitts on Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:25 am

I do not think he will catch him in the goal department unless AO goes completely cold or, as you say, gets injured for a good stretch. So, I don't hink that scenario will play out. I agree with mnpensfan tha AO should easily reach 50 goals, maybe push 60! He could very well get the Richard trophy as well.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mnpensfan on Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:50 am

DelPen wrote:
mnpensfan wrote:

What if Crosby gets more goals and points? I don't think he will unless Ovechkin gets hurt and is done for the year the next time he steps on the ice.

If both healthy and Sidney passes him in goals (highly unlikley) then yes I would give it to Sidney, but only if both finish the season healthy. This would require a massive cold-streak by AO more than it would a hot-streak by Sidney. AO has been the more consistent goal-scorer, even with teams working to shut-him down, so I don't really see that happening.

I'll will gladly eat all kinds of crow should Sid do it, but not happening.....
mnpensfan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Angry Skating Pen w scarf on Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:57 am

I think there were some preseason posts that predicted a 100 point season for Sidney. With the way things have transpired with the Pens, I believe 40 goals and 50 assists would be GREAT numbers for his first year.
Angry Skating Pen w scarf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Jim on Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:22 pm

Both he and Crosby have missed one game, so projected over 81 games here are their final point totals (G-A-Pts +/-):

AO 55-48-103 +1
SC 39-55-94 -5
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins