Recchi as a Cancer Finally Hits the Print

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Recchi as a Cancer Finally Hits the Print

Postby Mad City Mike on Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:38 am

This article by Mike Prisuta in today's Trib hints at what many on here have been saying about Recchi:

Crosby has endured it all with a veteran's poise and perspective, taking over as the spokesman for the Penguins before Lemieux called it a career and handling off-ice issues that arose with Recchi, a linemate of Crosby's prior to being dealt to Carolina last Thursday with whom Crosby worked wonderfully on the ice.


That's a nice way of saying "cancer." :)
Last edited by Mad City Mike on Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,838
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:14 am
Location: De Forest, WI

Postby NIN on Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:45 am

SO NHL locker rooms really ARE like the Oprah Winfrey show!! :shock:
NIN
 

Postby Jan on Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:49 am

I dunno, Recchi's been in hockey a long time, has he had a past reputation for trouble? Could Prisuta just be referring to the gambling thing?
Jan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 277
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:04 pm
Location: PA

Postby jdev28 on Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:55 am

Wow. When I first read that I thought it said Recchi has cancer. Thank god I just read it wrong.
jdev28
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 590
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:06 pm
Location: the four one two

Postby Pitts on Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:01 am

Jan wrote:I dunno, Recchi's been in hockey a long time, has he had a past reputation for trouble? Could Prisuta just be referring to the gambling thing?


He has a history. He was blamed for throwing Coach Barber under the bus in Philly and getting him canned. Recchi isn't involved in the gambling issue as far as I know.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,899
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:22 am
Location: Working ....

Postby Draftnik on Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:21 am

Jim Kelley said Recchi was calling sports writers all over North America to trash Crosby. Bucci said the room was happy to get rid of Crosby. Pittsburgh newspapers keep this stuff out of the papers. People will believe what they want to believe, but there are several independent sources all saying the same thing about Recchi.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,011
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:52 pm
Location: Peters Twp.

Postby Stoosh on Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:29 am

That's one of the best articles that Prisuta's written in a long time.

I think people need to take a step back and do two things...

First, realize that Crosby is still a kid and despite his beyond-his-years maturity, he's going to be a kid for a long time yet. Crosby has spent the better part of his teenage years existing in a spotlight that none of us can even fathom, let alone deal with as well as he has.

Second, sit back and enjoy it, for crying out loud. There are diehard hockey fans in 29 other cities - particularly some of those north of the border - who would probably kill another human being if it meant that they were able to watch Crosby score goals while wearing their team's jersey. I hope we all understand what we're seeing here with Crosby. This isn't just a good hockey player. Crosby is one of those once-in-a-generation players who not only excels at his sport, but transcends the game. This is an 18-year old kid who is already playing at an elite level on a team with very little help in a sport where players don't begin to peak until age 25 or 26. Translation: We haven't seen anything yet.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,483
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:19 am
Location: Aliquippa, PA

Postby Pitts on Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:44 am

Stoosh wrote:Translation: We haven't seen anything yet.


Technically, that's not true as we've all (well most of us) have already witnessed it in Mario!

We are just the lucky fans who get to watch the re-run! :D
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,899
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:22 am
Location: Working ....

Postby Guido on Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:07 am

Stoosh wrote:
Second, sit back and enjoy it, for crying out loud. There are diehard hockey fans in 29 other cities - particularly some of those north of the border - who would probably kill another human being if it meant that they were able to watch Crosby score goals while wearing their team's jersey. I hope we all understand what we're seeing here with Crosby. This isn't just a good hockey player. Crosby is one of those once-in-a-generation players who not only excels at his sport, but transcends the game. This is an 18-year old kid who is already playing at an elite level on a team with very little help in a sport where players don't begin to peak until age 25 or 26. Translation: We haven't seen anything yet.


very well said. couldn't have said it any better.
Guido
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,745
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:31 pm
Location: PA

Re: Recchi as a Cancer Finally Hits the Print

Postby BCHill on Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:21 am

Mad City Mike wrote:This article by Mike Prisuta in today's Trib hints at what many on here have been saying about Recchi:

Crosby has endured it all with a veteran's poise and perspective, taking over as the spokesman for the Penguins before Lemieux called it a career and handling off-ice issues that arose with Recchi, a linemate of Crosby's prior to being dealt to Carolina last Thursday with whom Crosby worked wonderfully on the ice.


That's a nice way of saying "cancer." :)


LOL!!!

Read it again. It is poorly worded, but it does not say what you think it does!

A better wording would be: Lemieux called it a career and along with Recchi handled off ice issues that arose.
BCHill
 

Postby BCHill on Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:24 am

ziggystardust wrote:
Jan wrote:I dunno, Recchi's been in hockey a long time, has he had a past reputation for trouble? Could Prisuta just be referring to the gambling thing?


YES he has a history of being a cancer. Look at what he did with Preems to Barber in Philly!


What is it he did to Barber?

It was Brian Boucher and Keith Primeau, not Mark Recchi.

Where does this nonsense get started?
BCHill
 

Postby Pitts on Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:26 am

No, Recchi was in that group of players as well.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,899
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:22 am
Location: Working ....

Re: Recchi as a Cancer Finally Hits the Print

Postby Pitts on Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:28 am

BCHill wrote:
Mad City Mike wrote:This article by Mike Prisuta in today's Trib hints at what many on here have been saying about Recchi:

Crosby has endured it all with a veteran's poise and perspective, taking over as the spokesman for the Penguins before Lemieux called it a career and handling off-ice issues that arose with Recchi, a linemate of Crosby's prior to being dealt to Carolina last Thursday with whom Crosby worked wonderfully on the ice.


That's a nice way of saying "cancer." :)


LOL!!!

Read it again. It is poorly worded, but it does not say what you think it does!

A better wording would be: Lemieux called it a career and along with Recchi handled off ice issues that arose.

Sorry, you're wrong. Why in the world would Recchi be handling any Penguins off-ice issues? You mean Rechhi is working with IoC on their proposal? He's running a hockey clinic? Working in Mario's Foundation? Recchi does nothing for the Pen's off the ice except sign autographs.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,899
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:22 am
Location: Working ....

Postby BCHill on Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:30 am

Pitts wrote:No, Recchi was in that group of players as well.


No he wasn't. I know that for a fact. He was in Mr. Snider's office when Brian Boucher started mouthing off, then Keith Primeau joined in, followed by a couple of other players. On the golf course later on in the week, Simon Gagne and Justin Williams added to the comments.
BCHill
 

Re: Recchi as a Cancer Finally Hits the Print

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:30 am

BCHill wrote:
LOL!!!

Read it again. It is poorly worded, but it does not say what you think it does!

A better wording would be: Lemieux called it a career and along with Recchi handled off ice issues that arose.


That's a stretch don't you think? I think Prisuta owes us an explaination now. It's a wimpy cop-out for him to hint at something he doesn't have the stones to report.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: Recchi as a Cancer Finally Hits the Print

Postby BCHill on Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:31 am

Pitts wrote:
BCHill wrote:
Mad City Mike wrote:This article by Mike Prisuta in today's Trib hints at what many on here have been saying about Recchi:

Crosby has endured it all with a veteran's poise and perspective, taking over as the spokesman for the Penguins before Lemieux called it a career and handling off-ice issues that arose with Recchi, a linemate of Crosby's prior to being dealt to Carolina last Thursday with whom Crosby worked wonderfully on the ice.


That's a nice way of saying "cancer." :)


LOL!!!

Read it again. It is poorly worded, but it does not say what you think it does!

A better wording would be: Lemieux called it a career and along with Recchi handled off ice issues that arose.

Sorry, you're wrong. Why in the world would Recchi be handling any Penguins off-ice issues? You mean Rechhi is working with IoC on their proposal? He's running a hockey clinic? Working in Mario's Foundation? Recchi does nothing for the Pen's off the ice except sign autographs.


Off ice issues means locker room problems. These are things you know nothing about.
BCHill
 

Postby Pitts on Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:33 am

[quote="BCHill"]No he wasn't. I know that for a fact. [quote]

Please tell us how you know that for fact? Just saying you do doesn't mean squat in here. It was widely written in the press that Boucher, Primeau and Recchi were the ringleaders of that coup back then.
Last edited by Pitts on Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,899
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:22 am
Location: Working ....

Re: Recchi as a Cancer Finally Hits the Print

Postby BCHill on Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:33 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:
BCHill wrote:
LOL!!!

Read it again. It is poorly worded, but it does not say what you think it does!

A better wording would be: Lemieux called it a career and along with Recchi handled off ice issues that arose.


That's a stretch don't you think? I think Prisuta owes us an explaination now. It's a wimpy cop-out for him to hint at something he doesn't have the stones to report.


He wasn't hinting at anything. He just screwed up a sentence.
BCHill
 

Postby BCHill on Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:35 am

Pitts wrote:
BCHill wrote:No he wasn't. I know that for a fact. quote]

Please tell us how you know that for fact? Just saying you do doesn't mean squat in here. It was widely written in the press that Boucher, Primeau and Recchi were the ringleaders of that coup back then.


Then show it to me.
BCHill
 

Re: Recchi as a Cancer Finally Hits the Print

Postby Pitts on Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:36 am

BCHill wrote:Off ice issues means locker room problems. These are things you know nothing about.


And, you do? What locker room problems are you talking about? Recchi's bout with Christensen that sent him back to WBS?
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,899
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:22 am
Location: Working ....

Re: Recchi as a Cancer Finally Hits the Print

Postby BCHill on Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:45 am

Pitts wrote:
BCHill wrote:Off ice issues means locker room problems. These are things you know nothing about.


And, you do? What locker room problems are you talking about? Recchi's bout with Christensen that sent him back to WBS?


Bout? Are you suggesting they had a fistfight?

There are always locker room issues that the captains of the team have to deal with. That is all there is to it and nothing more. You are reading into the sentence what you want because it is what you believe, not the truth.
BCHill
 

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:52 am

I sent an email to Pirsuta with a subject line of "Mike can you clear something up from todays article?"

"Crosby has endured it all with a veteran's poise and perspective, taking over as the spokesman for the Penguins before Lemieux called it a career and handling off-ice issues that arose with Recchi, a linemate of Crosby's prior to being dealt to Carolina last Thursday with whom Crosby worked wonderfully on the ice."

What did you mean by "handling off-ice issues that arose with Recchi"?

There's considerable debate among Pens fans about whether that was an inference to Recchi being a problem. Or, did it mean that both Recchi and Crosby handled "off-ise issues" together?

Thank you


I'll let you know how he responds.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Sid holds no ill-will

Postby penny lane on Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:01 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:I sent an email to Pirsuta with a subject line of "Mike can you clear something up from todays article?"
[color=yellow]
"Crosby has endured it all with a veteran's poise and perspective, taking over as the spokesman for the Penguins before Lemieux called it a career and handling off-ice issues that arose with Recchi, a linemate of Crosby's prior to being dealt to Carolina last Thursday with whom Crosby worked wonderfully on the ice."

What did you mean by "handling off-ice issues that arose with Recchi"?

There's considerable debate among Pens fans about whether that was an inference to Recchi being a problem. Or, did it mean that both Recchi and Crosby handled "off-ise issues" together?

Thank you


I'll let you know how he responds.


Sid holds no ill-will.
~from the pittsburgh trib 3/11:
"Sidney Crosby left a note for Recchi wishing him good luck in Carolina as well as the stick Crosby scored his first goal with for Recchi to sign before he left on Thursday."
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 29,059
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:29 pm
Location: Have fun, kick butt!

Postby BCHill on Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:03 pm

Pitts wrote:
BCHill wrote:No he wasn't. I know that for a fact.

Please tell us how you know that for fact? Just saying you do doesn't mean squat in here. It was widely written in the press that Boucher, Primeau and Recchi were the ringleaders of that coup back then.


Articles from the Barber firing are hard to find now, but here are two that refer to it.

http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/ ... 70509.html

Primeau, the most vocal critic of the Bill Barber regime, says the core players feel good about themselves and their chances. There might be some pressure to "prove themselves'' but no one seems to be shying from it.

(Recchi not mentioned as being part of the problems)

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?news ... 8170&rfi=6

Primeau was fresh off a public assassination of former coach Bill Barber in the days after a first-round playoff loss to Ottawa.

(Recchi not mentioned as being part of the problems)
BCHill
 

Re: Recchi as a Cancer Finally Hits the Print

Postby Pitts on Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:14 pm

BCHill wrote:
Pitts wrote:
BCHill wrote:Off ice issues means locker room problems. These are things you know nothing about.


And, you do? What locker room problems are you talking about? Recchi's bout with Christensen that sent him back to WBS?


Bout? Are you suggesting they had a fistfight?

There are always locker room issues that the captains of the team have to deal with. That is all there is to it and nothing more. You are reading into the sentence what you want because it is what you believe, not the truth.


First off, I never said I believed it. I was merely passing information that I remember reading.

The sentence is what it is, it is you who changed the context of it.

It is also you who are claiming some sort of inside information and proving NOTHING. You are coming across as someone who is simply looking to get a rise out of other posters and I will not entertain you.

If you have proof of your claims, lay them on the table, otherwise, drop the conversation.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,899
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:22 am
Location: Working ....

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: skullman80 and 20 guests


e-mail