Recchi as a Cancer Finally Hits the Print

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Recchi as a Cancer Finally Hits the Print

Postby Defence21 on Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:30 pm

BCHill wrote:Let me redo the entire sentence the way I feel it should be worded, regardless of whether or not some people agree with me.

Crosby has endured it all with a veteran's poise and perspective, taking over as the spokesman for the Penguins before Lemieux called it a career, and also handling off ice issues that arose along with Recchi, a linemate of Crosby's prior to being dealt to Carolina last Thursday with whom Crosby worked wonderfully on the ice.

Just with the simple addition of the word "along" the ambiguity of the sentence fades away.

Okay, this guy is a professional writer. He knows how to write and he wrote what he wanted to write. If an "along" was needed, it would be there. There is no way you can take what he wrote and just add a word that COMPLETELY changes the meaning and then say "this is what he meant." If that is what he meant, that is what he would have typed. Until I see a correction in the Post-Gazette or something of the like, I have to go with what was originally printed.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:47 pm

HomerPenguin wrote:
BCHill wrote:Ok, I see what you are saying, and here I made a mistake in not putting Crosby's name in where it belongs.

Let me redo the entire sentence the way I feel it should be worded, regardless of whether or not some people agree with me.

Crosby has endured it all with a veteran's poise and perspective, taking over as the spokesman for the Penguins before Lemieux called it a career, and also handling off ice issues that arose along with Recchi, a linemate of Crosby's prior to being dealt to Carolina last Thursday with whom Crosby worked wonderfully on the ice.

Just with the simple addition of the word "along" the ambiguity of the sentence fades away.

As Pitts pointed out, it would be odd for the writer to allude to something more and assume fans would know what he was referring to. It makes much more sense that he simply didn't structure his sentence properly. If he intended to say something about a locker room problem he would have come out and said it because it's never been in print.

Hell, I think Prisuta meant to say that Crosby took over as pontiff of the Catholic Church after the death of John Paul II, and also fought off flying space bats and a Vogon invasion fleet along with Recchi. As long as we're going to rewrite what Prisuta wrote to make it fit what we wish it said, why not make it interesting?

Sid would have to give up his trashy mouth & Reebok
for Pontiff status... :P funny comment!
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby freq019 on Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:04 pm

Defence21 wrote:
BCHill wrote:Let me redo the entire sentence the way I feel it should be worded, regardless of whether or not some people agree with me.

Okay, this guy is a professional writer. He knows how to write and he wrote what he wanted to write. If an "along" was needed, it would be there. There is no way you can take what he wrote and just add a word that COMPLETELY changes the meaning and then say "this is what he meant." If that is what he meant, that is what he would have typed. Until I see a correction in the Post-Gazette or something of the like, I have to go with what was originally printed.

Are you out of college and working?

then you would realize that there are people of mediocre quality in all areas of life, I mean we are talking about the trib here who have a record of having some of the worst writing on the planet in regards to the local sports teams. I mean hell it used to be a joke on the old board when you would totally flub a sentance the comeback was its ok I work for the trib. Now all of a sudden they have pulitzer prize winners on their staff??

It is possible that is was bad grammar.
freq019
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby netwolf on Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:34 pm

freq019 wrote:
Defence21 wrote:Okay, this guy is a professional writer. He knows how to write and he wrote what he wanted to write. If an "along" was needed, it would be there. There is no way you can take what he wrote and just add a word that COMPLETELY changes the meaning and then say "this is what he meant." If that is what he meant, that is what he would have typed. Until I see a correction in the Post-Gazette or something of the like, I have to go with what was originally printed.

Given the some of the mistakes that have gotten past the sports editors in into print in the past, I wouldn't rule it out. That said, hints (if not accusations) of this have comes from some many places, it's hard to believe there isn't some truth to it.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby NIN on Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:49 pm

Hey SToosh,did you know that Spoon wants to do....things.....to your dog?? :shock:
NIN

Postby Defence21 on Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:01 pm

freq019 wrote:Are you out of college and working?

then you would realize that there are people of mediocre quality in all areas of life, I mean we are talking about the trib here who have a record of having some of the worst writing on the planet in regards to the local sports teams. I mean hell it used to be a joke on the old board when you would totally flub a sentance the comeback was its ok I work for the trib. Now all of a sudden they have pulitzer prize winners on their staff??

No, I am not. But I have interned for the past year at a local newspaper and I can say that things definitely do get by. But, as someone showed before, the sentence structure is parallel, and pointing directly at Crosby. This is high school fundamental English. I find it very hard to believe that even a Trib writer does not know about this. Again, my main point is that, until a correction or something of the like is printed, I have to believe what the paper said.

Adding the word "along" to the sentece changed the entire meaning. I could write a sentence that says, "Doug Dougy did kill his wife, Denise." While that isn't exactly the best sentence, you can see that, if someone added the word "not," the entire sentence would change.

You can't just go around assuming someone wrote something wrong. At least I can't, anyway. Plus, as has been mentioned numerous times, there have been leaks of this for quite some time. It's finally starting to hit the print. That leads me to believe this was not just a gramatical error.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby netwolf on Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:02 am

NIN wrote:Hey SToosh,did you know that Spoon wants to do....things.....to your dog?? :shock:

Image Image
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:49 pm

Defence21 wrote:You can't just go around assuming someone wrote something wrong. At least I can't, anyway. Plus, as has been mentioned numerous times, there have been leaks of this for quite some time. It's finally starting to hit the print. That leads me to believe this was not just a gramatical error.

Just an update, Prisuta hasn't responded to my email.

It could just be he gets a ton of email. Or it could be that the sentence he wrote was accurate and he doesn't want to explain the reason for the insinuation.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby HomerPenguin on Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:53 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
Defence21 wrote:You can't just go around assuming someone wrote something wrong. At least I can't, anyway. Plus, as has been mentioned numerous times, there have been leaks of this for quite some time. It's finally starting to hit the print. That leads me to believe this was not just a gramatical error.

Just an update, Prisuta hasn't responded to my email.

It could just be he gets a ton of email. Or it could be that the sentence he wrote was accurate and he doesn't want to explain the reason for the insinuation.

Or maybe he MEANT to respond to you but forgot, and what he was going to say was, oh, let's say, "Of course I meant that Mark and Sidney worked in close collaboration on off-ice issues involving the Penguins. They personally went around Mellon Arena retightening every bolt so that the superstructure wouldn't collapse on itself."

Yes, that's what I hope he would have said if he'd responded as I know he meant to do.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:04 pm

HomerPenguin wrote:
Or maybe he MEANT to respond to you but forgot, and what he was going to say was, oh, let's say, "Of course I meant that Mark and Sidney worked in close collaboration on off-ice issues involving the Penguins. They personally went around Mellon Arena retightening every bolt so that the superstructure wouldn't collapse on itself."

Or maybe he decided to do a few good Arena deeds of his own, took his mop, and flew up to long island to help them clean up.

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wire/ ... -apnewyork
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Jasmine on Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:47 pm

I was told last night by an someone from the Pens organization that the locker room [did not like] Recchi. I don't know . . . I wasn't there, but they surely do seem to be celebrating MRs departure. They have been playing lights out!!!
Jasmine
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins