Recchi as a Cancer Finally Hits the Print

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby Jim on Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:17 pm

[quote="Draftnik"]Pittsburgh newspapers keep this stuff out of the papers.quote]

This is 2006. No ne reads just the local media anymore.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tluke53 on Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:25 pm

Eklund has some more stuff supprting the theory that Recci was a bad apple in the locker room.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blogworld/blo ... &post=1590
tluke53
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby BCHill on Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:27 pm

Pitts, I assure you I am not trying to get a rise out of anyone.

How can I prove to you I know what I know? I can't.

You don't have to believe me.

But if Recchi is such a problem as so many on this site want to believe, why doesn't any newspaper pick it up? All these rumors of him being a problem are like whispers down the lane.

Let me ask you this: after the supposed blow up where "all" the rookies were supposedly upset with him, what happened in the following game? Didn't they come out and win handily? Didn't some of the players actually credit Recchi with saying the right things in the locker room?

All we have is one player - and only a rumor at that - Erik Christensen, claiming Recchi was trying to be a "coach". So one player is possibly - and this was never from a legitimate source - upset but the rest of the team is saying Recchi is a good leader.

Why do you think that when the Philly newspapers refer back to the Barber incident they only mention Primeau? If Recchi was a problem in Philly, why did Clarke want him back?
BCHill

Postby Jim on Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:29 pm

It was all Jagr's fault!!!
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby BCHill on Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:31 pm

tluke53 wrote:Eklund has some more stuff supprting the theory that Recci was a bad apple in the locker room.

Heresay. Eklund is hearing the same rumors you are referring to and also intimates that Crosby could also be part of whatever problem there supposedly was.

I have friends who know exactly who Eklund is. He created a few sources around himself, but really doesn't have any connections to NHL people now that the lockout is over.
BCHill

boy i've missed that

Postby rasbatch on Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:32 pm

Jim wrote:It was all Jagr's fault!!!
nice to see ya back :P
rasbatch
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: boy i've missed that

Postby Jim on Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:35 pm

rasbatch wrote:
Jim wrote:It was all Jagr's fault!!!
nice to see ya back :P

Hey... I am just tired of all the blame game when no one is actually getting it right. Point the finger where it belongs... Jagroff!
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pitts on Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:36 pm

BCHill wrote:Pitts, I assure you I am not trying to get a rise out of anyone.

How can I prove to you I know what I know? I can't.

You don't have to believe me.

But if Recchi is such a problem as so many on this site want to believe, why doesn't any newspaper pick it up? All these rumors of him being a problem are like whispers down the lane.

Let me ask you this: after the supposed blow up where "all" the rookies were supposedly upset with him, what happened in the following game? Didn't they come out and win handily? Didn't some of the players actually credit Recchi with saying the right things in the locker room?

All we have is one player - and only a rumor at that - Erik Christensen, claiming Recchi was trying to be a "coach". So one player is possibly - and this was never from a legitimate source - upset but the rest of the team is saying Recchi is a good leader.

Why do you think that when the Philly newspapers refer back to the Barber incident they only mention Primeau? If Recchi was a problem in Philly, why did Clarke want him back?

Sometimes, I think where there's smoke...

Personally, I've always liked Recchi and I think he was working very well with Crosby since January. There's just too many rumors out there about his locker room presence and it makes you wonder.

I know I'm only relating what I read, and back then, I was a very regular poster on a Flyers board that had a lot more info on the topic, but Recchi was regularly mentioned as being part of that group then. It's a big reason why a lot of Flyer's fans hate Recchi.

I will also say, that when re-reading the sentence from that article, I can see your point about how it can be read wrong. It wasn't very good sentence structure on the part of the writer.

No harm, no foul BC.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby netwolf on Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:50 pm

BCHill wrote:
tluke53 wrote:Eklund has some more stuff supprting the theory that Recci was a bad apple in the locker room.

Heresay. Eklund is hearing the same rumors you are referring to and also intimates that Crosby could also be part of whatever problem there supposedly was.

I have friends who know exactly who Eklund is. He created a few sources around himself, but really doesn't have any connections to NHL people now that the lockout is over.

I alwayd read Eklund with a huge grain of salt, but he really lost me with the rehashed Mark Cuban stuff. I'm tired of hearing it. Also, Patrick may not have a say in Recchi's return as he may be not be retained.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:59 pm

"Some of the stories that I can`t share really baffle me..."

Can't share? Why? Did you sing a non-disclosure contract with the government or something? Will a ninja come to your house and kill you if you tell the stories?

Would Cuban be good for the NHL? An owner that is not afraid to publically bash the officials and league? As long as he keeps the product on the ice good...?
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Recchi as a Cancer Finally Hits the Print

Postby HomerPenguin on Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:02 pm

BCHill wrote:
Mad City Mike wrote:This article by Mike Prisuta in today's Trib hints at what many on here have been saying about Recchi:

Crosby has endured it all with a veteran's poise and perspective, taking over as the spokesman for the Penguins before Lemieux called it a career and handling off-ice issues that arose with Recchi, a linemate of Crosby's prior to being dealt to Carolina last Thursday with whom Crosby worked wonderfully on the ice.

That's a nice way of saying "cancer." :)

LOL!!!

Read it again. It is poorly worded, but it does not say what you think it does!

A better wording would be: Lemieux called it a career and along with Recchi handled off ice issues that arose.

See, there's this little grammer thing called "parallel construction." It means that when Crosby was "taking over," that the next -ing phrase ("handling off-ice issues") also must refer back to Crosby. If that off-ice phrase was referring to Lemieux, the subject of an -ed clause, it would have had to have read "handled off-ice issues."

I don't think much of Prisuta as a writer, but I really don't think he failed 11th grade English. I know that it would be easier for you to believe that he did than it would be for you to accept that he wrote something bad about your hero, but that's what he did.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Daniel on Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:03 pm

I think what happened, or didn't happen, in Philly is irrelevant to this year. Recchi may very well have been a model player his entire career and a jerk this year. I don't recall Recchi being on a team so young and terrible in his career. The losing was probably hard to take and the mistakes by young players unbearable. Add to that an inept coach and you have a recipe for a bad locker room.

Therrian brought stability to the coaching staff, if nothing else, and I am sure Recchi changed accordingly.
Daniel
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitts on Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:04 pm

Eklund's been full of shiite since day one.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:05 pm

Over the last month, since that is in recent memory, there definately didn't seem to be any issues with Recchi and Crosby on the ice. THey seemed to be getting along banging!
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:36 pm

Jim wrote:Over the last month, since that is in recent memory, there definately didn't seem to be any issues with Recchi and Crosby on the ice. THey seemed to be getting along banging!

Getting along banging? Are they playing for the Brokeback Mountain Penguins? :lol:
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BCHill on Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:41 pm

HomerPenguin wrote:
BCHill wrote:
Mad City Mike wrote:This article by Mike Prisuta in today's Trib hints at what many on here have been saying about Recchi:

Crosby has endured it all with a veteran's poise and perspective, taking over as the spokesman for the Penguins before Lemieux called it a career and handling off-ice issues that arose with Recchi, a linemate of Crosby's prior to being dealt to Carolina last Thursday with whom Crosby worked wonderfully on the ice.

That's a nice way of saying "cancer." :)

LOL!!!

Read it again. It is poorly worded, but it does not say what you think it does!

A better wording would be: Lemieux called it a career and along with Recchi handled off ice issues that arose.

See, there's this little grammer thing called "parallel construction." It means that when Crosby was "taking over," that the next -ing phrase ("handling off-ice issues") also must refer back to Crosby. If that off-ice phrase was referring to Lemieux, the subject of an -ed clause, it would have had to have read "handled off-ice issues."

I don't think much of Prisuta as a writer, but I really don't think he failed 11th grade English. I know that it would be easier for you to believe that he did than it would be for you to accept that he wrote something bad about your hero, but that's what he did.

Ok, I see what you are saying, and here I made a mistake in not putting Crosby's name in where it belongs.

Let me redo the entire sentence the way I feel it should be worded, regardless of whether or not some people agree with me.

Crosby has endured it all with a veteran's poise and perspective, taking over as the spokesman for the Penguins before Lemieux called it a career, and also handling off ice issues that arose along with Recchi, a linemate of Crosby's prior to being dealt to Carolina last Thursday with whom Crosby worked wonderfully on the ice.

Just with the simple addition of the word "along" the ambiguity of the sentence fades away.

As Pitts pointed out, it would be odd for the writer to allude to something more and assume fans would know what he was referring to. It makes much more sense that he simply didn't structure his sentence properly. If he intended to say something about a locker room problem he would have come out and said it because it's never been in print.
BCHill

Postby Mad City Mike on Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:44 pm

At least we know one thing as a result of this thread. Winger13 has returned :wink:
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Bowser on Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:48 pm

Mark Recchi was a HORRIBLE leader in the PENGUINS lockerroom. What he did before, who cares. I know for a FACT that he backstabbed Edzo on multiple occasions before he was fired and on the day Patrick decided to make the move.

Recchi was the guy who went after Erik Christensen, he ripped Crosby to tons of media in Canada, he blamed the young guys for the problems and never once singled out any veterans.

There will come a time when Sidney sets the record straight on Recchi's conduct on the ice, in the dressing room, and ON THE ROAD. The same goes for Erik Christensen.

This will happen when Lemieux and Patrick are no longer part of the organization as decision makers and John LeClair retires or traded.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Jim on Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:54 pm

When Lemieux no longer has a financial interest in Pittsburgh (sells his interest in the Pens) will he stay here or jump back to Montreal?
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:57 pm

Jim wrote:When Lemieux no longer has a financial interest in Pittsburgh (sells his interest in the Pens) will he stay here or jump back to Montreal?

He's been quoted quite frequently on the matter as saying he's staying in Pittsburgh after he retires. I assume the sale of the franchise wouldn't change that.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Bowser on Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:58 pm

Lemieux is selling his shares, that isn't the issue with him leaving Pittsburgh as his home. I believe if the Penguins have to move if new ownership isn't willing to wait, he won't stay in Pittsburgh because he no longer has a connection to the city. His legacy would have been destroyed by politicians and he can't support a city, county and state that refused to help him just a little after all he's done on and off the ice.

I won't blame Mario, if he does decide to move back to Montreal or somewhere warm to play golf all the day.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Jim on Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:00 pm

I have no problems with him moving... I just wondered what other people thought.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Bowser on Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:10 pm

I wouldn't blame him.

I can't see how anyone could be critical of Mario moving his family out of Pennsylvania considering how he's been treated by the politicians and key business leaders of the region.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby HomerPenguin on Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:43 pm

BCHill wrote:Ok, I see what you are saying, and here I made a mistake in not putting Crosby's name in where it belongs.

Let me redo the entire sentence the way I feel it should be worded, regardless of whether or not some people agree with me.

Crosby has endured it all with a veteran's poise and perspective, taking over as the spokesman for the Penguins before Lemieux called it a career, and also handling off ice issues that arose along with Recchi, a linemate of Crosby's prior to being dealt to Carolina last Thursday with whom Crosby worked wonderfully on the ice.

Just with the simple addition of the word "along" the ambiguity of the sentence fades away.

As Pitts pointed out, it would be odd for the writer to allude to something more and assume fans would know what he was referring to. It makes much more sense that he simply didn't structure his sentence properly. If he intended to say something about a locker room problem he would have come out and said it because it's never been in print.

Hell, I think Prisuta meant to say that Crosby took over as pontiff of the Catholic Church after the death of John Paul II, and also fought off flying space bats and a Vogon invasion fleet along with Recchi. As long as we're going to rewrite what Prisuta wrote to make it fit what we wish it said, why not make it interesting?
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jim on Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:49 pm

HomerPenguin wrote:Hell, I think Prisuta meant to say that Crosby took over as pontiff of the Catholic Church after the death of John Paul II, and also fought off flying space bats and a Vogon invasion fleet along with Recchi. As long as we're going to rewrite what Prisuta wrote to make it fit what we wish it said, why not make it interesting?

Crosby is the man!
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins