What can the penguins do to become an even tier PK unit?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

What can the penguins do to become an even tier PK unit?

Postby saleen66 on Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:42 am

I have watched the horrendous play of the Pens PK this season. As of late, they are looking much better, especially in the last game killing the 7 minute PP. As they always say "your goalie has to be your best penalty killer". I think Fleury will be better next year after getting a lot of time to play and work out the kinks in his game this season. However, the other players must know position and be able to out-hustle other teams to the puck and get it out of the zone.

I think that we should use Crosby on our #2 PK unit at the least if not on the #1 PK unit. He is so smart and can make those split-second decisions to get the puck out of the zone and can also be a very, very scary SH goal threat. I know he will only be 19 next season and putting him in so many crucial roles could tire him during the course of a season.

What other options do they have when it comes to improving the PK units to try and at least bridge the gap to maybe 20th or better next season?
saleen66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitts on Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:46 am

Next year, Malkin should be added to the PK right off the bat. He should improve it greatly as he has been on that duty for a full season in the RSL.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby netwolf on Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:51 am

Their recent improvement is due to two things in my view - they are being a bit more aggressive instead of reactionary and they are doing a much better job of clearing the zone when they get the puck on their stick. The latter is huge. Making a clear takes at least 15 second off every time you can do it.

Particulary against the Flyers on Sunday, they were doing a good job of forcing dump-ins on the PP. That leads to easier clears and the cycle repeats. :)
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:04 pm

Of course, adding a speedy, smart winger like Hilbert hasn't hurt either.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby netwolf on Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:34 pm

Pitts wrote:Of course, adding a speedy, smart winger like Hilbert hasn't hurt either.

Even if they have been playing him at center. :wink:
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Hawkeynut on Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:36 pm

Its amazing how a new coach with good systems installed will change a team, even after they loose alot of their veteran talent.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitts on Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:37 pm

netwolf wrote:
Pitts wrote:Of course, adding a speedy, smart winger like Hilbert hasn't hurt either.

Winger, center, they're all the same, right? :D
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby netwolf on Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:41 pm

Pitts wrote:
netwolf wrote:

Winger, center, they're all the same, right? :D

Yep, there.s absolutely no difference. Forwards is forwards. Guys can switch back and forth all the time. Hell, Ian Moran did it so everyone else should be able to as well.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Scott on Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:03 pm

How do you make the PK bullet proof? Clone Koltsov so he can play all 2 mins.
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Daniel on Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:06 pm

netwolf wrote:Their recent improvement is due to two things in my view - they are being a bit more aggressive instead of reactionary and they are doing a much better job of clearing the zone when they get the puck on their stick. The latter is huge. Making a clear takes at least 15 second off every time you can do it.

Particulary against the Flyers on Sunday, they were doing a good job of forcing dump-ins on the PP. That leads to easier clears and the cycle repeats. :)

Reason for improvement? One word: Kolstov. Funny how a guy who couldn't pass to another forward in a 2 on 1 with no one else on the ice can clear the puck almost 100% of the time he touches it.

Him and Malkin would be one tremendous PK unit next year.

All hail Kolstov Image
Daniel
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby netwolf on Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:08 pm

Daniel wrote:Reason for improvement? One word: Kolstov. Funny how a guy who couldn't pass to another forward in a 2 on 1 with no one else on the ice can clear the puck almost 100% of the time he touches it.

Him and Malkin would be one tremendous PK unit next year.

All hail Kolstov Image

I declare shenanigans! Daniel's stealing from my *secret* stash of smilies!!! :twisted:

:lol:
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Daniel on Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:01 pm

netwolf wrote:I declare shenanigans! Daniel's stealing from my *secret* stash of smilies!!! :twisted: :lol:

I claim shenanigans.

Image ImageImageImage
Daniel
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:02 pm

The best penality killer is not taking them in the first place. Ask the Devils.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby saleen66 on Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:00 pm

Jim, I completely agree with that statement, but with our young team and gonchar taking a penalty a game, I don't forsee this team taking less penalties anytime soon.

The pens need some faster defenceman so that they do not have to chase and hook so much. Last game for example, Gonchar was chasing a player behind the next and hooked him. However, if he didn't hook him, the player would still have been skating behind the net at the same speed. That stuff is really freaking annoying to watch every game. If they are going to hook a guy and take a penalty, don't just wussy tag his jersey and do nothing to slow down his progress, take his *** down!!!

That applies to all of the slow penguins defense this season. Crosby also takes some bad mental penalties too, but he is a kid and will grow up soon enough.

Last note on this. How bad is it that the pens spend on average a period a game shorthanded. How can you win games when you only play 40 mins even or + strength.
saleen66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Zach6668 on Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:40 pm

Seriously, Koltsov is HUGE on the PK. I went to the games vs NJ and Philly, and they easily had the best PK they've had in a long time.

Koltsov up front, Whitney in the back. It was fantastic.

If they can play the way they did this weekend, which, IMO, were the best two games of the year, or close to it, they should improve in EVERY aspect.

- Zach
Zach6668
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby netwolf on Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:50 pm

Daniel wrote:I claim shenanigans.

:lol:
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins