In retrospect....

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

In retrospect....

Postby Mountaineer on Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:43 pm

Had CP not gone out and signed all those FA's, but promoted from within, would this be a playoff team right now? Had Fleury been with the team from the beginning, as well as Christensen, Whitney, etc., I don't think they would have been a playoff team, but they'd be much closer than where they are now. What's disappointing is that, if the Pens do continue to play well for the remainder of the season against some of the better teams in the league, we'll be left to wonder if in fact they could have made the playoffs. I just hope that, come lottery time, they're still in a good position to get the top pick. Playing better now bodes well going into next season, but I'd like our chances a whole lot better with Kessel on Crosby's wing.

Let's go Pens!!!!!
Mountaineer

Postby Jim on Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:25 pm

There is no reason to think they would be any closer. You would be replacing Palffy and LeClair with Talbot and Endicott? Gonchar with Nassadrine? Thibault was signed as experiance, that can't be faulted when your two current goalis had what... 50 NHL games between them?
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: In retrospect....

Postby The Snapshot on Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:38 pm

Mountaineer wrote:Had CP not gone out and signed all those FA's, but promoted from within, would this be a playoff team right now? Had Fleury been with the team from the beginning, as well as Christensen, Whitney, etc., I don't think they would have been a playoff team, but they'd be much closer than where they are now. What's disappointing is that, if the Pens do continue to play well for the remainder of the season against some of the better teams in the league, we'll be left to wonder if in fact they could have made the playoffs. I just hope that, come lottery time, they're still in a good position to get the top pick. Playing better now bodes well going into next season, but I'd like our chances a whole lot better with Kessel on Crosby's wing.

Let's go Pens!!!!!

I can't see that it would have made a difference. Now, if the entire team from '03 was brought back, with the addition of Gonchar and Crosby at the top of the depth chart at F and D, there may be something to think about.

The issue is that if this team played since the start of the season without every FA signing, we'd be in the basement still - without a doubt.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tluke53 on Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:38 pm

I have to agree with Jim. I can't imagine this team being any better without the free agent signings. Of course money wise the team would have been way better off without the signings. They probably could have broke even this year or posted a marginal profit.
tluke53
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:41 pm

tluke53 wrote:I have to agree with Jim. I can't imagine this team being any better without the free agent signings. Of course money wise the team would have been way better off without the signings. They probably could have broke even this year or posted a marginal profit.

Well, I think the only rational basis for that argument would be if you believed that the acquistions (veterans) had created a scisim in the locker room with the Rookies. If there was indeed bad blood that was only recently cleaned up by the departure of a number of those Vets, then I could see the point.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Jim on Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:43 pm

I do not recall seeing any real overflow onto the ice. It is not like the vets were not passing to the young guys nor were the young guys ignoring the vets. It was just an overall suckfest of bad positioning nad penality taking.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:46 pm

Do you think the Pens would have had the same attendance if those signings had not been made. Everyone would have made a big deal about the Pens not spending money and being like the Pirates.

Those signings were necessary to drum up interest in the team. Unfortunately some better signings could have been made in hindsight.

Really, the biggest problem with this team is defense. If the Pens want to compete for a playoff spot next season they will have to sign a good FA defensemen. If they don't then next year will be just another rebuilding year for sure.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:48 pm

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:Do you think the Pens would have had the same attendance if those signings had not been made. Everyone would have made a big deal about the Pens not spending money and being like the Pirates.

Those signings were necessary to drum up interest in the team. Unfortunately some better signings could have been made in hindsight.

Really, the biggest problem with this team is defense. If the Pens want to compete for a playoff spot next season they will have to sign a good FA defensemen. If they don't then next year will be just another rebuilding year for sure.

The question was Had CP not gone out and signed all those FA's, but promoted from within, would this be a playoff team right now?

It had nothing to do with the profitability of the franchise. However, if you want to add $$$ to the equation, obviously your point is valid.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby tluke53 on Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:50 pm

That is a very good point. The number of ticket's purchased would definitly have been lower without the signings.
tluke53
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:51 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:Do you think the Pens would have had the same attendance if those signings had not been made. Everyone would have made a big deal about the Pens not spending money and being like the Pirates.

The question was Had CP not gone out and signed all those FA's, but promoted from within, would this be a playoff team right now?

It had nothing to do with the profitability of the franchise. However, if you want to add $$$ to the equation, obviously your point is valid.

Yea, that was my arguement. Sorry if I didn't make myself clear.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Daniel on Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:54 pm

I think the bigger question is this. If Therrian replaced Edzo in August, would this be the same team? He would have the entire training camp to instill his system and give the players a chance to execute it in preseason games, rather than regular season games.
Daniel
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:01 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:The question was Had CP not gone out and signed all those FA's, but promoted from within, would this be a playoff team right now?

Yes, well... that question was answered and it evolved to a new discussion. Gotta love this one line message board format!
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby wallflower on Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:03 pm

Daniel wrote:I think the bigger question is this. If Therrian replaced Edzo in August, would this be the same team?

I think it would. The more this season has progressed, the more obvious it became to me that it wasn't the 'lack of a system' or even coaching most nights so much as a lack of talent/effort/whatever you want to blame. *shrug*
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jim on Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:08 pm

Daniel wrote:I think the bigger question is this. If Therrian replaced Edzo in August, would this be the same team? He would have the entire training camp to instill his system and give the players a chance to execute it in preseason games, rather than regular season games.

I think it would have been better. I think that Gonchar would have delivered right from the get go. He was lost for the first third of the season. Structure would have allowed him to produce the way he is now. It would have also been better for Palffy, but he would still have retired so that is moot. It might have been better for Recchi and LeClair as they were coming from Hitchcock and were a little spaced at the start as well. Thibault... well.. unless Therrian was going to cover him with Stick'em... he would still have given up all those rebounds...
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby netwolf on Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:10 pm

Jim wrote:It would have also been better for Palffy, but he would still have retired so that is moot.

Would he have? There were rumors of him not really being hurt at the time...
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:12 pm

Rumors are rumors... I will say he would ahve just to keep it even. He would have had more points when he did retire though, lol.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins