probably a horrible idea, but...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

probably a horrible idea, but...

Postby Rohit on Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:12 pm

who is going to be captain next year? i think its a bad idea to give it to sid.

last season, malone proved to be the silver lining in an otherwise completely black season. fans quickly realized this and all eyes were on him, and he thrived.

come this season, crosby took the show away from ryan, and his production has gone down.

what would happen if they gave the C to the hometown hero, not because he deserves it, but more as a motivational factor? would he pick up his play?

what about orpik. he was projected as the future captain, or with having the personality of a future captain. if you give him the C will he make an effort to be more responsible defensively and not always go for the big hit?

who is the 'safest' person to give the C to?
Rohit
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kicksave on Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:14 pm

John LeClair :oops:
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bowser on Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:14 pm

Unless the Penguins acquire someone like Shane Doan, the next captain will be Sidney Crosby.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby conforto45 on Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:17 pm

if Leclair is back.... i say give it to him...

if not, Melichar, Orpik, Malone or Recchi if/when he comes back.

i just dont think Sid is ready for that role yet
conforto45
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:17 pm

I think it is too early to "give" the C to anyone right now.

I think it probably shouldn't be awarded until after training camp next season.

That said I have no problem speculating who that person might be.

If I was the Pens coach next season ( I won't say Therrien b/c it's not guarenteed he'll be back), I'd award the C to the player who not only is a hard working player, but also a leader in the clubhouse.

Crosby could be that person. So could Orpik. Based on that criteria Malone would not get it now, but if he shows some of those qualities who knows?
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

doan?

Postby penny lane on Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:17 pm

Bowser wrote:Unless the Penguins acquire someone like Shane Doan, the next captain will be Sidney Crosby.

what's so great about shane doan?
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Jim on Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:20 pm

Hopefully the days of a Penguin that doesn't deserve the C getting it are gone.

I do not really think that age or experiance matter. It's leadership and on ice passion that I care about. I would not mind seeing it go to Crosby, or even Armstrong actually. Neither Malone nor Orpik deserve it after the season they have had.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kicksave on Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:26 pm

Jim wrote:Hopefully the days of a Penguin that doesn't deserve the C getting it are gone.

I do not really think that age or experiance matter. It's leadership and on ice passion that I care about. I would not mind seeing it go to Crosby, or even Armstrong actually. Neither Malone nor Orpik deserve it after the season they have had.

Why are you ripping on Orpik? Christ, a first round pick in his second year in the NHL who has done nothing but improve after the rules were changed that took away the part of the game he was used to playing. There was a transition phase but he has proven to be one of the top defensmen we have.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby wondermoose on Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:30 pm

They gave Steve Yzerman the C when he was a youngin as well, and it worked out just fine. Same with Gretzky. Sid is the leader of this team, he makes the plays, he gives the interviews after every game, he is the future. There's really no one else since Recchi left that stands out as the team leader.

On a lighter note, I would be in favor of giving it to Fleury because he has faced the firing squads since he was drafted. And he's funny. :D
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Rohit on Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:32 pm

i think you guys are missing the point of what i was trying to say.

right now i dont think anyone "deserves" the C, though if anyone does its crosby or armstrong but i dont think either are ready for it.

im saying, what if the C is used as a motivational tool. If the C is given to malone for instance, does he think "oh im the captain now, i need to be responsible and show pittsburgh that im worthy of it." or does he say "hell, i didnt have to do **** and they gave me the C! **** yea, i rock!"
Rohit
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:35 pm

Kicksave wrote:Why are you ripping on Orpik? Christ, a first round pick in his second year in the NHL who has done nothing but improve after the rules were changed that took away the part of the game he was used to playing. There was a transition phase but he has proven to be one of the top defensmen we have.

I didn't rip on Orpik, I just said he doesn't deserve the C after the season he has had.

Wasn't Trevor Linden the youngest player in NHL history to get the C when he got it? When did Lindros get it?
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:36 pm

Jim wrote:
Kicksave wrote:Why are you ripping on Orpik? Christ, a first round pick in his second year in the NHL who has done nothing but improve after the rules were changed that took away the part of the game he was used to playing. There was a transition phase but he has proven to be one of the top defensmen we have.

I didn't rip on Orpik, I just said he doesn't deserve the C after the season he has had.

Wasn't Trevor Linden the youngest player in NHL history to get the C when he got it? When did Lindros get it?

I always thought Vincent Lecavalier was the youngest? Am I wrong?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:37 pm

Rohit wrote:i think you guys are missing the point of what i was trying to say.

right now i dont think anyone "deserves" the C, though if anyone does its crosby or armstrong but i dont think either are ready for it.

im saying, what if the C is used as a motivational tool. If the C is given to malone for instance, does he think "oh im the captain now, i need to be responsible and show pittsburgh that im worthy of it." or does he say "hell, i didnt have to do **** and they gave me the C! **** yea, i rock!"

I don't think the C should be given as a motivational tool. It should be given to someone who deserves it. I think earning your salary, being on a winning team, competing for a Stanley Cup, is enough of a motivational tool.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:41 pm

Both Lecavalier and Lindros would be after Linden's time... I think starting in the late 90's the C started to be given as an ego thing as opposed to an earned thing. Including a couple teams having 2 captains (wtf is that about?) and 3 or 4 A's. It was almost to a point of if you didn't have a letter you were in the minority.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Bowser on Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:44 pm

Honestly, I think Crosby has earned the "C".

He's already the best player on the team. He's a fierce competitor. He isn't afraid to discuss things with his teammates. He's the go-to-guy with the media.

Other than the age and experience factor, what isn't to like about him?
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Jim on Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:50 pm

Bowser wrote:Other than the age and experience factor, what isn't to like about him?

He pulls more trim in a week than I will my entire life?
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:51 pm

Unless Sign a HUGE veteran (And that ain't gonna happen), I say give it to Sid. Hopefully, he'll have it for a decade or more... might as well take that first step.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Jim on Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:56 pm

Well, we do not need to dign another goalie, nor another high price Dman. It would be stupid to sign a high profile center as well. IF the pens would sign a high profile player, should it ba a left wing or a right wing?
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jim on Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:00 pm

Just looked on pp.com...

RW: Armstrong, Boguniecki, Koltsov, Malone, Ouellet, Rita, Roy, VB
LW: LeClair, Murley, Nordgren, Surovy

Definately lighter on the Left!

What high profile Left Wings are going to be UFA's this summer?
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:03 pm

It has always been my thought that you never sign a huge high profile player to a rebuilding team. Mostly, b/c if that player doesn't pan out your problems have compounded. The money could better spent on scouting and player development.

Those type of signings should only occur when your team has rebuilt and someone is needed to push the team to the next level. That way if the player doesn't pan out it isn't as big of a hit.

The Pens should sign a solid middle priced d-man that isn't too young or too old. I have no idea if that exists out there this offseason though.

They also need a skilled winger to put on one of their top two lines. Same thing (solid, not too expensive, not too young or too old).
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:11 pm

I disagree. I think signing a high profile player give your team an established scorer or grit or leadership or whatever. Sort of like an "ace in the hole" while the kids grow.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pitts on Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:23 pm

Mario will wear the "C" when he comes out of retirement yet again to try to win one more Cup! :D
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bowser on Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:26 pm

Here are the best free agents for the Pens this summer. Unless new ownership is here by then, I don't expect more than one free agent move to acquire a goal scorer to replace Palffy.

LW/RW
1. Maxim Afinogenov - plays with Malkin on 2nd line
2. Patrik Elias - would cost too much $$ and probably wants to stay in NJ
3. Sergei Samsonov - could be another winger for Malkin
4. Jochen Hecht - solid two-way forward for any top two line
5. Radek Dvorak - another good two-way winger

Defensemen
1. Zdeno Chara - big physical two-way dman, probably costs too much
2. Pavel Kubina - see above
3. Rob Blake - unlikely to leave Avs
4. Joe Corvo - relative unknown who is a good player
5. Bryan McCabe - could he slip with all the big named guys around
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Jim on Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:26 pm

Well, he is technically wearing the C now even though he is retired... so I suppose he does not actually have to come back.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:29 pm

Pitts wrote:Mario will wear the "C" when he comes out of retirement yet again to try to win one more Cup! :D

Call me blasphemous if you must, but I'm really really glad that this year the charade of 'come watch Mario' won't be played.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins