Mark Recchi Update...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Mark Recchi Update...

Postby Tocchet on Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:41 pm

3 GP: 0 G, 0 A, 0 PTS, -2, 6 PIMs.

Averaging about 17 minutes per game, including power play.

Draw your own conclusions.
Tocchet
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Draftnik on Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:45 pm

Pierre LeBrun said he and other Canadian media received calls from Recchi today and Rex was ripping Staal up and down.

Just kidding.............
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:47 pm

You forgot the most important stat... in those three games, the 'Canes are 0-3 (Of course they haven't had the services of Cole either)

The Pens meanwhile have put together two of their most impressive games back-to-back since Recchi left.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Jim on Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:49 pm

It's not that odd for a new player to not score up a storm when entering a new system. I watched some of the game last night and Recchi was trucking all over the place. He looked like the guy that has been putting up points the last few weeks, it just wasn't going in.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pitts on Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:12 pm

Draftnik wrote:Pierre LeBrun said he and other Canadian media received calls from Recchi today and Rex was ripping Staal up and down.

Just kidding.............

That was awesome! :wink:
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:19 pm

The Canes won on Tuesday.

Recchi, though, didn't score, was minus one, and picked up a 2 minute penalty for crosschecking Marty Straka.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

more food for thought on Recchi / Cole / Orpik

Postby puckeye on Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:54 pm

Not sure he could win with whatever he said here but found it amusing considering the cancer discussion here lately

http://www.newsobserver.com/781/story/418296.html
puckeye
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: more food for thought on Recchi / Cole / Orpik

Postby Pitts on Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:03 pm

puckeye wrote:Not sure he could win with whatever he said here but found it amusing considering the cancer discussion here lately

Why do I have the feeling that this thing will linger just as the Samuelsson/Neely issue? I have a feeling Carolina will never let this go. Although, I will agree that Orpik should have at least phoned him within a day or two after it happened just to say sorry or whatever.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: more food for thought on Recchi / Cole / Orpik

Postby puckeye on Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:08 pm

Pitts wrote:
puckeye wrote:Not sure he could win with whatever he said here but found it amusing considering the cancer discussion here lately

Why do I have the feeling that this thing will linger just as the Samuelsson/Neely issue? I have a feeling Carolina will never let this go. Although, I will agree that Orpik should have at least phoned him within a day or two after it happened just to say sorry or whatever.

Yeah, I agree but considering all of the insults that they put out there right away, not sure I would call to apologize either.
puckeye
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby jimjom on Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:13 pm

This is off-topic, but maybe somebody should call Erik Cole and tell him that he plays hockey for a living, and that these things happen. Orpik was punished for a borderline hit, life goes on. Don't play hockey if you do't want this stuff to happen. Orpik did his job-- he made a hit in the corner in his zone.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby puckeye on Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:32 pm

jimjom wrote:This is off-topic, but maybe somebody should call Erik Cole and tell him that he plays hockey for a living, and that these things happen. Orpik was punished for a borderline hit, life goes on. Don't play hockey if you do't want this stuff to happen. Orpik did his job-- he made a hit in the corner in his zone.

It would have been a class move for Orpik to make a call or at least reach out to a mutual friend. But by no means, should he feel an obligation.
puckeye
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Draftnik on Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:32 pm

jimjom wrote:This is off-topic, but maybe somebody should call Erik Cole and tell him that he plays hockey for a living, and that these things happen. Orpik was punished for a borderline hit, life goes on. Don't play hockey if you do't want this stuff to happen. Orpik did his job-- he made a hit in the corner in his zone.

Cole was at a team photograph and was answering questions posed to him by reporters. It isn't as if the guy called a press conference to ask for an apology. He walks around with a neck brace 24/7, can't sleep properly, can't lift more than 5 lbs, can't play with his kids, and has an uncertain future playing hockey. It is easy to understand why he is pissed.

The guy was one of the few Americans that showed up in Turin and has done the USA proud by developing into the premier PF in the NHL this season before his injury. He is one of the toughest and most fearless players in the NHL. He represents our country with honor and is entitled to vent while he is worried about his uncertain future,
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby puckeye on Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:37 pm

Not trying to bash him any further, but I was more amused with Recchi's comments
puckeye
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:39 pm

Draftnik wrote:
The guy was one of the few Americans that showed up in Turin and has done the USA proud by developing into the premier PF in the NHL this season before his injury. He is one of the toughest and most fearless players in the NHL. He represents our country with honor and is entitled to vent while he is worried about his uncertain future,

With all due respect Draftnik, his country of origin has nothing to do with it.

Brooks should have reached out, it would have been a classy move. But Erik made it nearly impossible to do so when he ripped Brooks in the media npt long after the game.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby jimjom on Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:53 pm

Cole was at a team photograph and was answering questions posed to him by reporters. It isn't as if the guy called a press conference to ask for an apology. He walks around with a neck brace 24/7, can't sleep properly, can't lift more than 5 lbs, can't play with his kids, and has an uncertain future playing hockey. It is easy to understand why he is pissed.

I hear you, point well taken. I agree with ExPat's assessment that this was made much worse with media influence and comments made in the heat of the moment.

Don't get me wrong, I have a distaste for stuff like this -- I think Bertuzzi got off soft and should in no way be playing now, but I feel that the Orpik hit, while definitely questionable, was passable. What if Cole doesn't break his neck and skates away?
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Ginger on Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:54 pm

Which is precisely what he did say. Before people make Cole into an even bigger villian in all this, I saw that interview during the Canes/Rangers game & Cole didn't bring this up to begin with. The interviewer asked Cole if he's heard anything like an apology from Orpik & Cole said no, & that he'd never expected to either because he plays a rough sport & these things do happen from time to time. So he wasn't looking to milk the incident or anything else. He merely answered the question the best way he could without expanding on it.

There was however a REALLY interesting comment made by the commentators during play. Recchi was zipping all over the place & the one guy (wish I knew their names there) said "This guy shows that you don't need to be 20 to have a good game. Recchi, along with Weight, are two guys the Canes have brought in because they're really good character guys."

Obviously, they haven't been listening to other sports broadcasts either. :?
Ginger
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Guido on Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:35 am

i don't think Doug Weight has been doing too much since he got there either. They had a good system going on there, hopefully they didn't ruin it by adding the vets.
Guido
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Reilly on Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:16 am

You gotta remember Cole was not only having a breakout season, but his team is in first place. He wants to be playing right now and I sure he's frustrated.
Reilly

Postby Canes-KA14 on Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:30 pm

Just a quick update for you guys...

#1 - I missed the comment but the 'Canes announcers are John Forslund and Tripp Tracy. Forslund is the serious play-by-play guy, and Tripp is the goofball color guy. My money is the comment came from Tripp - admittedly one of the biggest 'homer announcers" out there. But he's OUR homer announcer!

#2 - Weight has really caught on with the system these past 5 games or so. It took him a while, but he's been one of the best guys on the ice for us recently, which is why we brought him in. As was mentioned above, it may take Recchi a while to catch on as well, but hopefully he will by the time the playoffs start.

#3 - Also, don't bash Cole too much. He's been answering questions as they get brought up. He's not out mouthing off about it trying to be heard. And yes, it's killing him not to be out there playing. If you watch the 'Canes games, he's been "text-messaging" his thoughts about each game to the announcers several times a period who in turn have been sharing them with the audience. It's great to see his spirits so high as a whole.

Oh, and finally, to answer why I'm hanging around here: I'm a Nordgren fan too. We miss him. :(
Canes-KA14

Postby Stoosh on Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:54 pm

Canes-KA,

Feel free to hang around as much as you want. It's a good board, and if there's one thing we're lacking, it's a slew of knowledgable fans of other teams in the league.

I wasn't the diehard Pens fan I am now when Recchi was in his first stint with the Pens (I grew up a Canucks fan and didn't REALLY fall in love with the Pens until about 1995-96). I didn't follow Recchi's post-Penguin career as much because 1) I don't care for the Flyers, and 2) while I've always liked the Habs, I don't follow them to the point that I could speak to the character of the individual players.

So I didn't realize that Recchi had a little bit of a reputation (especially in Philly) of being a problem in the locker room. I was thrilled to death when he signed with the Pens prior to the lockout because it was the first time in three years that the Pens were actually bringing in an established name and I knew he was a legitimate playmaker.

From what I've heard from some of the media here, the problems with Recchi stemmed from his dealings with some of the younger players, and it started right at the top with Crosby. Mark Madden of ESPN Radio 1250 told this story yesterday on the air...

Back on Nov. 16, the Pens played the Flyers in Philly. It was scoreless over the first two periods and the Flyers were playing Crosby pretty tightly. At one point late in the second, Kevin Hatcher delivered a pretty solid cross-check to Crosby, hitting him the mouth and knocking out at least parts of a couple of teeth. Crosby retaliated and took an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. The Pens killed the ensuing power play, scored two goals to start the third, and then watched Joni Pitkanen tie it with two goals of his own within a couple of minutes of each other. There was no other scoring until Crosby won the game with a breakaway goal in overtime, giving the Pens a 3-2 win in what was easily one of their most emotional games of the year.

According to Madden, when the team got back into the locker room after the end of the game, Recchi proceeded to rip Crosby in front of the entire team for taking the retaliatory unsportsmanlike call late in the second. Nothing was mentioned of the fact that Crosby factored in on every single Pens' goal of the night (scoring two and assisting on the other).

Madden also mentioned that there was a definite rift in the locker room between the younger players and the older players. The rift was perpetuated mostly Recchi, Leclair and Odelein, who Madden said "used to do nothing but sit in their corner of the locker room and talk about the good old days."

I don't know how much truth there is to this stuff, but it's just interesting to me that prior to the deadline, the national media was generally talking about Recchi's terrific leadership on this team off the ice. After he was dealt, we've been reading more and more reports about what a problem he was in the locker room.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby wondermoose on Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:07 pm

I've always just assumed Leclair has been apathetic towards the entire season. His comments, aside from the one about the possibility of being traded (which was an honest answer to a question so you can't blame him), have always been pretty laid back and neutral. I think he likes the role he has now, he has nothing to prove and nothing to gain really aside from proving people he can still play. I'm glad we kept him, he's got skills that don't fade with time.

And I love Cole, he's my favorite non-Penguin player. It broke my heart to see him go down like that. Damn the media for asking questions that get players into trouble.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:09 pm

Stoosh wrote: Mark Madden of ESPN Radio 1250 told this story yesterday on the air...

If I may Stoosh, since Canes-KA isn't from Pittsburgh, I'd like to ad the caveat that Mark Madden is given to the occasional embellishment.

Canes-KA, Maddens shtick in Pittsburgh is to be controversial, without listing specifics, you're welcome to enjoy his 'Shock Sports Jock' approach, just be careful about running with the information gained from that particular source.

The story may well be true, but reporters are seldom alone in the locker room and no other source has coroberated the story. (although, in fairness, insinuations from other writers tend to leak out from time to time.)

It's been a rather contenous point around here recently as to whether Recc's was an asset or liability in the locker room.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Ginger on Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:40 pm

Stoosh wrote:
According to Madden, when the team got back into the locker room after the end of the game, Recchi proceeded to rip Crosby in front of the entire team for taking the retaliatory unsportsmanlike call late in the second. Nothing was mentioned of the fact that Crosby factored in on every single Pens' goal of the night (scoring two and assisting on the other).

Madden also mentioned that there was a definite rift in the locker room between the younger players and the older players. The rift was perpetuated mostly Recchi, Leclair and Odelein, who Madden said "used to do nothing but sit in their corner of the locker room and talk about the good old days."

I don't know how much truth there is to this stuff,
but it's just interesting to me that prior to the deadline, the national media was generally talking about Recchi's terrific leadership on this team off the ice. After he was dealt, we've been reading more and more reports about what a problem he was in the locker room.

I'd bet 'not much'. Considering who you're quoting. Did you ever ask yourself how Madden supposedly *knows* all this stuff? Do you think the players are coming to him with stories like this? Or is it just another 'known thing' coming from Maddens sources?
What we do know from Dave Molinari's column dated Friday, November 18, 2005, is that Edzo sat Crosby down & told him he couldn't behave like that & not expect to get smucked in every game afterwards. And other than Recchi corroborating this, he had nothing to do with it other than saying -
"With his speed and his explosiveness, he draws a lot of penalties," Penguins winger Mark Recchi said.

It's the calls Crosby doesn't draw that are most intriguing, however.

He flatly rejected a suggestion that referees might be allowing opponents to take physical liberties -- like, say, smacking him in the face with a stick -- to put him through what amounts to a rite of passage, and most teammates and team officials reacted to the concept as if it were radioactive.

It remains, though, that Crosby could remove the Penguins crest from his sweater and replace it with a bull's-eye and not be any more of a target than he already is.

"Teams are obviously paying attention to him," Recchi said. "Part of that is, they're going to be physical on him. You can't take that part out of the game.

"Obviously, he's going to have to get used to ... you hope that when he does get elbowed and hit with a stick, that they call it."
Ginger
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Bowser on Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:49 pm

Ginger - The Recchi information was relayed to me by two different people with vastly different perspectives on Recchi and others on the team. Craig Patrick sent Christensen down to WBS for his issues with Recchi and to send him a message for complaining to Therrien and other people about it.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Canes-KA14 on Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:20 am

I'm finding it very interesting reading these threads and all the Recchi bashing. Since I'm not from Pittsburgh, I'm not privy to your papers, and especially to your radio or TV coverage.

But from what I've heard here in Raleigh, it sounds like it's been more than just Recchi - that there really may have been a big rift in the Pittsburgh locker room where the older vets were frustrated with the overall poor play and the younger players willingness to accept it.

Again, take that perspective with a grain of salt, it's OUR media's spin on the situation. I just thought I'd toss into the ring what we've been hearing.
Canes-KA14

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins