Mark Recchi Update...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby Daniel on Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:53 pm

dboss wrote:Draftnik, do you have a video or audio tape of Recchi trashing Crosby or did you see him talking on the phone YOURSELF? If not, then there is no way it could have happened! :roll: Even with reputable people such as Buccigross, Kelley, Madden (ok, bad example), etc. insinuating that doesn't make it so unless they have the tapes to back it up. :roll:
Come on, this is a court of law and we need HARD evidence in order for something to be proven true around here. Hell sometimes that isn't even enough. It's like the fact that nobody has video of OJ killing anyone. Because nobody has it, that means it couldn't have happened that way. :roll:

One could say the same thing about the war in Iraq. I mean, video and audio tape can be altered. ImageImage
Daniel
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Ginger on Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:13 pm

dboss wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:
dboss wrote: It's like the fact that nobody has video of OJ killing anyone. Because nobody has it, that means it couldn't have happened that way. :roll:

And a jury of his peers agreed with you. :-) ;-)

Which one? The jury for the civil trial or the criminal trial? Great, now I am completely confused! :wink:

Why Greta Van Sustern herself said she *knew* OJ was an innocent & maligned man. 'Course she's also a longtime friend of his, but no matter. That had nothing to do with her reporting his abuse by the press. Image

Robin Herman told a cute story about going into the Pens locker room to talk with the players. The article was really more to do with female reporters entering a locker room after a game, but there was a telling remark in it too, which says how the media sometimes are if they don't find anything to report from that sacred room.

I was but 24 years old. As the regular beat reporter covering professional hockey for The New York Times, it was my job to write up games about the New York Rangers and New York Islanders. And get the stories done in time to make the morning newspaper’s severe deadline of 11 p.m. The games were typically finished at 10:25 p.m.

It was a literal sprint down to the locker room level to get a post-game quote from the players, something every game story would have the next day, and then back up to the press room to churn out the article. I DIDN’T HAVE TIME TO WASTE. Being barred from the players’ locker room, forced to wait at the door for a player to come out, was wasting time I simply didn’t have—and I personally found it mortifying. I had been lobbying the NHL to allow me into its clubs’ locker rooms as a matter of equity and professionalism— at the time I was the only female member of the National Hockey Writers Association.

As a girl reporter, I’ve made a rule to never go into a hockey dressing room alone. I believe that I will never get a straight story from a half naked player. He’ll put up a poker face and my quotes will only turnout to be bottled up answers. As a feature writer, you tend to avoid cliché. Don’t get me wrong, I know that women had to fight for their right to enter the hockey dressing room. Standing outside, waiting for players, isn’t any easier either. I usually get mistaken for a player’s girlfriend despite my recorder in hand, disorganized score sheets and blatant press pass hanging down my neck.

Luckily for the new NHL, the media has changed its access rules. As a reporter, you can enter the dressing room for interviews immediately after the game. You are given a period of at least twenty minutes to get the story straight. This rule also pertains to broadcast media who brilliantly interview hockey players in full gear inside the locker room. It also gives me a chance to make an exception to my locker room rule that is if local women media reporters are also present. That night against the Blackhawks, both Karen Price from the PittsburghLIVE (Tribune Review) and Marcie Garcia from NHL.com made their presence in the locker room. It was safety in numbers for the girl reporters.

That is until I tripped over Bob Errey’s (FSN Color Broadcast Analyst) microphone cord as Karen Price asked goaltender Marc André Fleury about yet another Penguin loss. Reporters approach athletes in groups like surgeons examining a patient asking questions that they might not be clear on answering. It seemed that nothing could go right.

Somehow I held my balance and headed over quickly to Sidney Crosby while the Fox Pittsburgh commentator dragged his cord yet again. I was not prepared to fall off my high heels in front of rookie superstar.

Bob Errey was the 1983 NHL draft pick for the Pittsburgh Penguins. Back then, he wore a mullet, a mustache and seemed like a nasty guy to play against. After a long hockey career and two Stanley Cup rings, Errey replaced Eddie Olcyzk as color commentator and sidekick of quirky play by play announcer Mike Lange. Olcyzk then became head coach of the Pens until he was replaced this past December by Michel Therrien.

After surviving the Pens dressing room, I decided that it was better to stake it out in front of the dressing room. It would be terrible if my reporter career ending injury came down to tripping over Bob Errey’s microphone cord. Though there was the potential here to do as many of my colleagues have done from time to time and embellish my fall with a well told tale of animosity from someone present, I chose to do the honorable thing and work my words into something I could be proud of.
Ginger
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins