Mark Recchi Update...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby Bowser on Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:25 pm

BCHILL - YOU ARE DEAD WRONG!

1. Why would a FRIEND of Mark Recchi, who works for the Penguins, say Recchi was the main source of the locker room problems between the veterans and younger players.

2. Why would that FRIEND of Recchi, also say Mark was telling anyone willing to put pen to paper that Crosby's attitude on and off the ice was a problem for the Penguins and NHL.

3. Why would that FRIEND of Recchi discuss a situation that Erik Christensen had enough of his **** and told him to f' off.

4. Why would multiple younger players CALL their friends in Wilkes-Barre to tell them things were ugly in Pittsburgh.

5. Why would TWO of those players actually discuss Recchi's attitude with Michel Therrien and Mike Yeo, if they didn't feel someone needed to help speak for them.

6. Why would that FRIEND of Recchi, discuss Mark's constant b!tching and moaning about Ed Olczyk and the coaching staff.

7. Why would that FRIEND of Recchi, discuss the NIGHT that I said I heard Recchi threw Edzo under the bus during a meeting with Patrick. It was Recchi who told Patrick the team was struggling because Edzo was struggling to adjust to the talent in the room.

There's a reason why the Recchi stuff came out from Madden and myself. Dave Molinari refuses to grow a set of balls and place some hard-hitting commentary in his game reports or team notebooks. Karen Price can't get a break because NO ONE respects her.

If it wasn't true, then explain why the organization has stood quiet?

Trust me, there is nothing this organization doesn't read in the papers or on the internet about every subject connected to its players, employees, and organization.

If it wasn't true, you think I would have TWO people of TWO different professions tell me in detail about Recchi's attitude with the younger players and Olczyk.

It is an undeniable fact, Mark Recchi ruined the dressing room for three months of the season until Michel Therrien was hired. Therrien told Recchi and his boys (LeClair/Odelein) to shutup and play, when he named Crosby an alternate captain by yanking the "A" off LeClair's sweater.

I was a Recchi fan until this season... I'm no longer a supporter because there's a WHOLE LOT more to this than just criticizing the young players or ripping Crosby to writers.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 7,963
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:08 am

Postby Ginger on Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:43 am

Bowser wrote:BCHILL - YOU ARE DEAD WRONG!

1. Why would a FRIEND of Mark Recchi, who works for the Penguins, say Recchi was the main source of the locker room problems between the veterans and younger players.

2. Why would that FRIEND of Recchi, also say Mark was telling anyone willing to put pen to paper that Crosby's attitude on and off the ice was a problem for the Penguins and NHL.

3. Why would that FRIEND of Recchi discuss a situation that Erik Christensen had enough of his **** and told him to f' off.

4. Why would multiple younger players CALL their friends in Wilkes-Barre to tell them things were ugly in Pittsburgh.

5. Why would TWO of those players actually discuss Recchi's attitude with Michel Therrien and Mike Yeo, if they didn't feel someone needed to help speak for them.

6. Why would that FRIEND of Recchi, discuss Mark's constant b!tching and moaning about Ed Olczyk and the coaching staff.

7. Why would that FRIEND of Recchi, discuss the NIGHT that I said I heard Recchi threw Edzo under the bus during a meeting with Patrick. It was Recchi who told Patrick the team was struggling because Edzo was struggling to adjust to the talent in the room.

There's a reason why the Recchi stuff came out from Madden and myself. Dave Molinari refuses to grow a set of balls and place some hard-hitting commentary in his game reports or team notebooks. Karen Price can't get a break because NO ONE respects her.

If it wasn't true, then explain why the organization has stood quiet?

Trust me, there is nothing this organization doesn't read in the papers or on the internet about every subject connected to its players, employees, and organization.

If it wasn't true, you think I would have TWO people of TWO different professions tell me in detail about Recchi's attitude with the younger players and Olczyk.

It is an undeniable fact, Mark Recchi ruined the dressing room for three months of the season until Michel Therrien was hired. Therrien told Recchi and his boys (LeClair/Odelein) to shutup and play, when he named Crosby an alternate captain by yanking the "A" off LeClair's sweater.

I was a Recchi fan until this season... I'm no longer a supporter because there's a WHOLE LOT more to this than just criticizing the young players or ripping Crosby to writers.


Bowser, A "FRIEND" of Recchi's? If I might...anyone who would talk about someone like that IS NO FRIEND. I hope I'm spared any "friends" like that!

Let's rehash a second; *if* Therrien told Recchi & his boys (LeClair/Odelein) to shutup & play, isn't it just as logical then for us to believe the other rumor we've always heard that came out of Montreal? This would almost substantiate that claim too. That Therrien was always criticized by the Habs organization for not making use of vets & favoring younger players?
I'm not saying that's true either; I'm saying that it has been floating around out there as one of the reasons for his dismissal. We could believe that; except that unless I have proof of that, I'm not going to either.

And these multiple players who called WBS & complained to their ex-teammates about conditions in Pittsburgh. You know all this for a fact how? I guess you would have recordings of these phone conversations...?

You ask, "If it wasn't true, then explain why the organization has stood quiet? "
We are talking about the organization that includes CP right? The Master of Mum?

C'mon...I really do think this needs more proof than 'my friend said that his friend said'. Even my young nieces can do better than that! Image
Ginger
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,734
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:32 pm
Location: Basically in my own little world

Postby Ginger on Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:03 am

Tikkanen wrote:
Ginger wrote:You ask, "If it wasn't true, then explain why the organization has stood quiet? "
We are talking about the organization that includes CP right? The Master of Mum?

C'mon...I really do think this needs more proof than 'my friend said that his friend said'. Even my young nieces can do better than that! Image


You know what Ginger, here's your proof - the product on the ice. The team sticking up for each other. Johnny LeClair actually leading on the ice. Younger players stepping up and making a difference.

"The proof is in the pudding..." well there it is on the ice. If you can't see a markedly different product on the ice from the second Recchi took his lazy azz game out of here, then you're blind. The chatter between players during the games is tenfold more. It's only logical to even a casual observer to note the difference, let alone people who follow this team as if they were a part of it.

I was pumped when we signed Recchi 2 years ago. However, a year of sitting around rotted his game, and apparently his leadership skills. Every game from the preseason on, the guy looked lost on the ice more often than not. His skills, as diminished as they are, still allowed him to perform at a decent level offensively. However, he was, at best, horrid with the puck in his own end from the first shift of the year. He'd pass to no one. He set examples that are STILL being undone as I type this, and won't be completely gone until training camp next year. Recchi came in here with the country club attitude to play and retire happy, and it didn't happen. He was looking out for #1, and that's it, maybe Mario. I never saw him, not once this year, stick up for his teammates. Not once. And that's leadership?

Seriously...what do you attribute the putrid efforts of this team up until the second he was traded to? How about the fact that he was a defensive seive for the entire year? How about his **** plus/minus?

I can't believe that people are still carrying the torch for a guy that was good, was important, and soiled the bed for most of a year when he could have gone out with grace.

I don't want to be a spokesperson for Recchi & when I contributed to this thread (seems like) a month ago, I wasn't trying to be a spokesperson for him either. And I sure as hell couldn't be considered 'carrying a torch for him.' I was originally asking people why they were so fast to believe something without legitimate proof. That's a fair question, a reasonable one considering our courts work that way. What you've called proof is nowhere near proof. "It's only logical to even a casual observer to note the difference," (since he left). That's not proof. That's at best coincidence. I mean, yeah, they're yammering away on the bench. They're playing better, of course they're going to be talking about that with excitement. That still doesn't prove that Recchi was responsible for them *not* playing well before.

Ya wanna know the funniest thing in all of this? I wasn't a huge Recchi fan to begin with. Not that I had anything against the guy, I liked him fine. But I wasn't a *fan* of his. Yet I've somehow found myself defending him when all I was saying to people was that they shouldn't be gullible enough to take everything they hear as gospel.
I have the feeling that this could go on forever & I for one have grown pretty weary of pleading anyone's case; my own or Recchis.

The nice thing about being a free thinker in a free country is that we can each believe what we want to believe, right?
Ginger
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,734
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:32 pm
Location: Basically in my own little world

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:46 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:It's been a rather contenous point around here recently as to whether Recc's was an asset or liability in the locker room.


Little did I know at the top of this thread... just how contentious :-)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby BCHill on Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:14 pm

On ice performance is often short lived. After a trade many teams will suddenly pick up the pace only to fall off again. I've seen people say that Carolina lost the first two games because Recchi was a bad apple, but the truth is that Recchi didn't even have time to practice with them yet when they played those games. He flew to Carolina that afternoon. Believe what you will.

Bowser, you can tell me I'm wrong all you want but it doesn't make you right.

There are two sides to every story. The side I have heard is that Crosby is just as mouthy and annoying in the locker room as he is on the ice. He is disrespectful to everyone. He thinks he's better than the game and he doesn't need to take advice.

I think what you are hearing, if you really are hearing what you say, is a convoluted version of the facts. I compared Crosby to Eric Lindros and I firmly believe that in time he will be as shunned in Pittsburgh as Eric is in Philadelphia. If Therrien really told some guys to "shut up and play" and Recchi was one of them I doubt he would have said such glowing things about Recchi and continued to give him the ice time that he did. He did seem to have a problem with LeClair.

From the Philadelphia Inquirer: Regarding Recchi and his feelings toward Penguins rookie Sidney Crosby: It wasn't that Recchi disliked Crosby, as some people have said. It was the fact that the kid entirely dismissed his advice on how to conduct himself with his whining and antics on the ice. You don't diss a guy who's won a Stanley Cup. Crosby, however, seems to have gotten his act together in recent weeks....

http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/philly/sports/hockey/14131594.htm?source=rss&channel=philly_hockey


I will go one step further than Tim Panaccio did - Crosby apologized to Recchi.

They have now let it go, it is about time you did too. The same advice can go to Madden.
BCHill
 

Postby Bowser on Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:29 pm

Sidney Crosby is not the only young player on the team to have had a problem with Mark Recchi and John LeClair.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 7,963
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:08 am

Postby alain blanc on Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:50 pm

who else?
alain blanc
 

Postby BCHill on Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:57 pm

Bowser wrote:Sidney Crosby is not the only young player on the team to have had a problem with Mark Recchi and John LeClair.


So a couple of young kids lash out against authority. What's new there?

Crosby respects Lemieux but he also had his problems with him. He avoided staying there overnight on many occasions and stayed with other players on the team. He accused both Recchi and Lemieux of trying to be his "dad". He has a lot to learn. Just because he and other kids are too stubborn to accept help doesn't mean the older players were in the wrong.

Crosby is the one who apologized because he is the one that needed to do so.
BCHill
 

Postby Bowser on Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:01 pm

There's no sense in further discussing this issue. I'm not going to continue typing the same things over and over again. Since Therrien came on board, things have changed, though John LeClair is unhappy that he's still here.

Mark Recchi is no longer a player for the Penguins and has no bearing on the future of this franchise.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 7,963
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:08 am

Postby BCHill on Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:03 pm

Bowser wrote:There's no sense in further discussing this issue. I'm not going to continue typing the same things over and over again. Since Therrien came on board, things have changed, though John LeClair is unhappy that he's still here.

Mark Recchi is no longer a player for the Penguins and has no bearing on the future of this franchise.


Good. Like I said, it's about time you let it go. Tell Madden the same. That's who Tim P. was referring to in his article.
BCHill
 

Postby Bowser on Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:11 pm

actually, I let it go a long time ago but I'm not going to sit here and read people say Recchi is some saint and was never in the wrong.

Crosby is 18, he's going to learn... Recchi should know better by now.

enough on this.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 7,963
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:08 am

Postby BCHill on Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:13 pm

Bowser wrote:actually, I let it go a long time ago but I'm not going to sit here and read people say Recchi is some saint and was never in the wrong.

Crosby is 18, he's going to learn... Recchi should know better by now.

enough on this.


Actually, players don't really seem to change. Recchi has always been a stand up guy in the locker room and Crosby is destined to always be a whiner.

Can you show some examples of who has really changed?
BCHill
 

Postby Bowser on Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:21 pm

BCHill - Jesus, you want example. Try Mario Lemieux.

He was selfish and refused to walk up to the podium on draft day... and now he's living in Pittsburgh and speaking English better than most yinzers.

Nuff said.

Game. Set. Match.

Carry on people, nothing to see here
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 7,963
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:08 am

Postby BCHill on Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:26 pm

Bowser wrote:BCHill - Jesus, you want example. Try Mario Lemieux.

He was selfish and refused to walk up to the podium on draft day... and now he's living in Pittsburgh and speaking English better than most yinzers.

Nuff said.

Game. Set. Match.

Carry on people, nothing to see here


Selfish, or shy and felt out of his element because he didn't speak the language?

At the core, Mario is still the same person he was back then. I never saw him as being selfish.

Also, I'm not talking about liking a city. That is more a case of never having tasted it. Just like we've always said to our kids "try it you might like it". I'm talking about how a person treats other people.
BCHill
 

Postby Bowser on Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:29 pm

BC - sounds as though, you've been belittled by an 18-year old superstar hockey player. If so, get over it. He's not the first and sure as hell won't be the last guy to do that in Pittsburgh for the Pens, Steelers or Pirates.

Try talking to Big Ben or Jerome Bettis away from the cameras and media, they're just as egotistical as Lemieux, Crosby, Gretzky, etc.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 7,963
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:08 am

Postby Jim on Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:29 pm

BCHill wrote:Selfish, or shy and felt out of his element because he didn't speak the language?


It was selfish. It was 100% about contract talks. They had already discussed his contract (as it was a given that he was goingto be Pittsburgh's pick) and they were not working out. A reporter went up to him in the stands and Mario said that was why he wasn't going down.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,951
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Postby Jim on Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:30 pm

Bowser wrote:talking to Big Ben or Jerome Bettis away from the cameras and media, they're just as egotistical as Lemieux, Crosby, Gretzky, etc.


Big Ben bought me a beer... However, if anyone knows me... I don't drink.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,951
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Postby Bowser on Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:30 pm

Jim - Don't let the facts get into the way.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 7,963
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:08 am

Postby Fast B on Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:44 pm

BCHill wrote:I compared Crosby to Eric Lindros and I firmly believe that in time he will be as shunned in Pittsburgh as Eric is in Philadelphia.


:roll:
Fast B
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,885
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:36 pm
Location: San Mateo, CA

Postby Draftnik on Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:58 pm

Fast B wrote:
BCHill wrote:I compared Crosby to Eric Lindros and I firmly believe that in time he will be as shunned in Pittsburgh as Eric is in Philadelphia.


:roll:


That could be the dumbest post ever in the history of LGP. Crosby has been groomed to be the ultimate ambassador for the NHL in the Wayne Gretzky mold. His passion burns bright on the ice, but in his dealings with the press and public he is a model of marketing conscious political correctness. Crosby is being coached by IMG, the kings of sports marketing. He is not being advised by mama and papa Lindros.

Out of town sports writers like Jim Kelley claim Recchi was making calls to anybody that would listen trashing Crosby. Mild mannered hockey media like John Buccigross went out of their way to say Recchi was a problem in the Pens room. These guys talk to NHL players and have no reason to make stuff up and/or burn bridges. Even Mark Madden who you like to trash is a frequent visitor to the Pens room and is spoon fed information on the team from his buddy the Pens' VP of media relations. There is plenty of corroborating evidence to verify Recchi was a problem.

It is interesting how your defense of Recchi inevitably turned into trashing Crosby, the very thing Recchi was accused of by many credible sources.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,011
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:52 pm
Location: Peters Twp.

Postby Bowser on Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:26 pm

Draftnik - Don't let facts get in the way :lol:

Mark Recchi was :evil:

Erik Christensen did this :roll:

Sidney Crosby on the whole situation - 8)
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 7,963
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:08 am

Postby dboss on Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:50 pm

Draftnik wrote:
Fast B wrote:
BCHill wrote:I compared Crosby to Eric Lindros and I firmly believe that in time he will be as shunned in Pittsburgh as Eric is in Philadelphia.


:roll:


That could be the dumbest post ever in the history of LGP. Crosby has been groomed to be the ultimate ambassador for the NHL in the Wayne Gretzky mold. His passion burns bright on the ice, but in his dealings with the press and public he is a model of marketing conscious political correctness. Crosby is being coached by IMG, the kings of sports marketing. He is not being advised by mama and papa Lindros.

Out of town sports writers like Jim Kelley claim Recchi was making calls to anybody that would listen trashing Crosby. Mild mannered hockey media like John Buccigross went out of their way to say Recchi was a problem in the Pens room. These guys talk to NHL players and have no reason to make stuff up and/or burn bridges. Even Mark Madden who you like to trash is a frequent visitor to the Pens room and is spoon fed information on the team from his buddy the Pens' VP of media relations. There is plenty of corroborating evidence to verify Recchi was a problem.

It is interesting how your defense of Recchi inevitably turned into trashing Crosby, the very thing Recchi was accused of by many credible sources.


Draftnik, do you have a video or audio tape of Recchi trashing Crosby or did you see him talking on the phone YOURSELF? If not, then there is no way it could have happened! :roll: Even with reputable people such as Buccigross, Kelley, Madden (ok, bad example), etc. insinuating that doesn't make it so unless they have the tapes to back it up. :roll:
Come on, this is a court of law and we need HARD evidence in order for something to be proven true around here. Hell sometimes that isn't even enough. It's like the fact that nobody has video of OJ killing anyone. Because nobody has it, that means it couldn't have happened that way. :roll:
dboss
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 540
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:33 am
Location: McCandless Twp, PA

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:08 pm

dboss wrote: It's like the fact that nobody has video of OJ killing anyone. Because nobody has it, that means it couldn't have happened that way. :roll:


And a jury of his peers agreed with you. :-) ;-)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby dboss on Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:10 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
dboss wrote: It's like the fact that nobody has video of OJ killing anyone. Because nobody has it, that means it couldn't have happened that way. :roll:


And a jury of his peers agreed with you. :-) ;-)


Which one? The jury for the civil trial or the criminal trial? Great, now I am completely confused! :wink:
dboss
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 540
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:33 am
Location: McCandless Twp, PA

Postby jmh70 on Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:23 pm

It's a shame Recchi couldn't have been more understanding of Crosby's learning curve/maturation process. I'm sure Crosby is difficult to deal with right now, but a veteran should understand this.

That said, Recchi did do the right thing by throwing Edzo under the bus. The man was lost this season and had to go.

I've never head of that Christensen ordeal before. Funny, if it's true.
jmh70
 

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Greyhound65, PhantomJB93 and 15 guests


e-mail