Important game tonight for lottery seeding...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Important game tonight for lottery seeding...

Postby Mountaineer on Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:42 pm

Jackets vs. Hawks. Chicago currently has 49 points, five ahead of the Pens, and after tonight, both teams have 17 games remaining. A win will open up a seven-point cushion between the Pens and Chicago. Here's hoping for a Hawks victory!!!
Mountaineer

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:49 pm

If the Hawks lose tonight and go 5-12 the rest of the way (reasonable expectation) then the Pens would have to go 9-8. I don't think thats possible.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby borohcky9 on Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:38 pm

Chicago is up 2-0....here we go #1 draft pick :P
borohcky9

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:41 pm

borohcky9 wrote:Chicago is up 2-0....here we go #1 draft pick :P

Number one seed in the lottery. Still only a 48% chance of getting the first selection. (See also: NHL 2004 Draft)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Daniel on Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:49 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:(See also: NHL 2004 Draft)

Say what you want, but I think the Pens won the draft by losing the lottery. I would rather have Malkin than Ovechkin.
Daniel
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby NIN on Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:51 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
borohcky9 wrote:Chicago is up 2-0....here we go #1 draft pick :P

Number one seed in the lottery. Still only a 48% chance of getting the first selection. (See also: NHL 2004 Draft)

Don't bring that negative attitude to the ECHL. :o We serve a higher purpose here.
NIN

Postby Rohit on Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:51 pm

also, the pens would be guaranteed at least drafting 2nd. so thats either a kessel of a johnson depending on who the first pick goes to. lets face it, im sure the penguins would be busting their heads over which guy to pick as well, so drafting 2nd would make the choice easier :-P
Rohit
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:55 pm

Rohit wrote:also, the pens would be guaranteed at least drafting 2nd. so thats either a kessel of a johnson depending on who the first pick goes to. lets face it, im sure the penguins would be busting their heads over which guy to pick as well, so drafting 2nd would make the choice easier :-P

Easier? I'd love to see them trade this years first pick for a lower pick and a veteran stay-at-home defenseman. That differs from many folks around here who'd love to see them get a Left Winger, but I think you can still develop those organically
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rohit on Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:22 pm

organically? i dont really know what you mean

but i just pictured someone planting a seed in the soil labeled "kevin stevens"

...i think we should take the pick just because the draft isnt that deep, why not stick with the younger players.
Rohit
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:34 pm

Rohit wrote:organically? i dont really know what you mean

but i just pictured someone planting a seed in the soil labeled "kevin stevens"

...i think we should take the pick just because the draft isnt that deep, why not stick with the younger players.

Home-grown so to speak, as opposed to a free-agent.

I guess your perspective depends on what you believe the Pens needs to be. Remember, this years draft offers very few prospects that can step right into the NHL. If you want to field a team taht gets to the Playoffs next year, an immediate upgrade of a good Stay-at-home D-Man is probably in order.

The draft picks available, even at the top of the draft, are the weakest in 3 years or more. Trade the pick, if you can, and get someone who can help you next year.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rohit on Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:01 pm

i like my version of organic better :)

but i dont know that this is a playoff team even with an added defensemen, i think 2-3 years down the road this will be a really really strong team which is why i think going with the draft is better
Rohit
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Stoosh on Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:34 am

EPP,

I know that finishing last in the standings doesn't always mean the first pick, but it DOES guarantee one thing: nothing worse than the second pick in the draft.

I'll put it this way...If the Pens had won just one more game in the 2003-04 season, we'd have been looking at Cam Barker, Andrew Ladd or Rostislav Olesz instead of Evgeni Malkin. All nice players, but a huge step down nonetheless.

In a deeper draft like what we saw in 2003 or even this past summer's, it wouldn't have bothered me as much. But this draft is shaping up to look an awful lot like the '04 draft - there are two guys who have distanced themselves from the rest of the pack. Even if the Pens are looking to deal the pick, I could see them being able to demand a better return package for either Kessel or Johnson at #2 (whichever one would be left) than they would for any of the rest at #3.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Reilly on Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:17 am

Stoosh wrote:
I know that finishing last in the standings doesn't always mean the first pick, but it DOES guarantee one thing: nothing worse than the second pick in the draft.

which is why they need to finish last.
Reilly

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins