Bettman Says Pens Relocation 'Unlikely'

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Bettman Says Pens Relocation 'Unlikely'

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:40 am

Good news from the commish!!!

Also some confirmation by the league on the new Salary Cap figures.

http://www.nwherald.com/SportsSection/p ... 422239.php

More from his visit to Chicago:

http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cct ... 107692.htm

Interesting quote from this article:

"Rule changes to eliminate the grabbing and clutching in the center of the ice have worked, and a shootout at the end of tie games also has been popular, Bettman said."

This is the first that *I've* heard this about calling the rules closer "in the center of the ice". Did I miss something before (Totally possible, I can't remember much of the late 60's and early 70's for instance :-) ), but if this was stated this way by tthe commish, could that mean they're softening their stance internally?

I like the fact that they're calling the rules more closely these days, but as I've stated before, I think it's had the unintended effect of 'softning' the game up a bit by reducing the amount of hard hiting as well. Maybe this is an effort to correct that, at least inside the blue lines.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby NIN on Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:53 am

* With Pittsburgh's new arena deal still in jeopardy, Bettman said it was unlikely the Penguins would relocate to "viable" markets such as Quebec City or Winnipeg.

This is from the 1st link.

Bettman said the NHL is not looking to relocate franchises and not considering expansion. But he added if a franchise does have to move, there are several markets interested, including Winnipeg.

This is from the other. Image
NIN

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:21 am

On a related Arena note, the Pittsburgh Gaming Task Force meets at 8am this morning at the Coppers Building. If you get a chance, look up Anne Swager and tell her what you think. :D

http://pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-rev ... 33714.html

In another article, Bob O'Connor *asks* for a swift kick in the pants :-)

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06075/671320.stm
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby newarenanow on Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:29 am

This says nothing about the Pens relocation as 'unlikely'. It just says it is 'unlikely' that they will move to Quebec or Winnipeg.

You got me all excited for nothing.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:45 am

newarenanow wrote:This says nothing about the Pens relocation as 'unlikely'. It just says it is 'unlikely' that they will move to Quebec or Winnipeg.

"Bettman said it was unlikely the Penguins would relocate to "viable" markets such as Quebec City or Winnipeg."

What? You think he's saying they'll move to a market that isn't 'Viable'?

Maybe you just don't understand the definition of the word 'Viable'.

vi·a·ble Pronunciation Key (v-bl) adj.

1. Capable of living, developing, or germinating under favorable conditions.
2. Capable of living outside the uterus. Used of a fetus or newborn.
3. Capable of success or continuing effectiveness; practicable: a viable plan; a viable national economy.

:roll: :roll:
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Or

Postby Andrew on Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:21 am

that could imply that they don't consider Pittsburgh a viable market.
Andrew
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bill from turtle creek on Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:32 am

Semantically speaking, I suppose. But realistically speaking, what other market that is still open in this country is going to have 95% attendance with a horrible team, a long, long history of hockey tradition, and a well-developed fan base?
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Or

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:34 am

Andrew wrote:that could imply that they don't consider Pittsburgh a viable market.

Am I just being a grumpy old man today or are people having trouble with reading comprehension?

How do you get Bettman saying that Pittsburgh isn't a Viable market from that statement?

You go to VT don't you? :-) :-)

The fault I take with that statement is that I don't trust Bettman. It's not so far fetched that he'd say that today, and announce a move next week.

I guess the other semantic take is that he means they won't relocate to a viable market such as the two mentioned, but they could relocate to ANOTHER viable market.

I just don't think that's the way he meant that statement. Bettman is to skilled a public speaker and politician to burn his bidges with those cities by implying that other UN-NAMED markets were more attractive.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:54 am

Well if Bettman said it... were're screwed!
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pfim on Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:25 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
newarenanow wrote:This says nothing about the Pens relocation as 'unlikely'. It just says it is 'unlikely' that they will move to Quebec or Winnipeg.

"Bettman said it was unlikely the Penguins would relocate to "viable" markets such as Quebec City or Winnipeg."

What? You think he's saying they'll move to a market that isn't 'Viable'?

Maybe you just don't understand the definition of the word 'Viable'.

vi·a·ble Pronunciation Key (v-bl) adj.

1. Capable of living, developing, or germinating under favorable conditions.
2. Capable of living outside the uterus. Used of a fetus or newborn.
3. Capable of success or continuing effectiveness; practicable: a viable plan; a viable national economy.

:roll: :roll:

Those are two of the least "viable" markets available.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Admin on Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:28 pm

Did Bettman use rock-and-roll quotes when saying the word viable? :wink:
Admin
Site Admin

Well

Postby Andrew on Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:20 pm

It comes from relocation. It's implicit in relocate that there is a reason. The fact that they would be relocating to a "viable" market, leads one to believe they are leaving a non viable market. They are quotes from a business man/ politician of sorts. You figure out what he meant.
Andrew
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Well

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:28 pm

Andrew wrote:It comes from relocation. It's implicit in relocate that there is a reason. The fact that they would be relocating to a "viable" market, leads one to believe they are leaving a non viable market. They are quotes from a business man/ politician of sorts. You figure out what he meant.

please, not another discussion about what someone meant. :roll:
We should just call Miss Cleo and get this and Prisuta's thinking straightened out right now.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Well

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:34 pm

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:
Andrew wrote:It comes from relocation. It's implicit in relocate that there is a reason. The fact that they would be relocating to a "viable" market, leads one to believe they are leaving a non viable market. They are quotes from a business man/ politician of sorts. You figure out what he meant.

please, not another discussion about what someone meant. :roll:
We should just call Miss Cleo and get this and Prisuta's thinking straightened out right now.

Yeah I read Prisutas Steelers article this morning with great enjoyment, not because he shared anything humorous, but because his Editor is definitely on vacation!

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune ... 33716.html
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins