Magic number at 26....

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Magic number at 26....

Postby Mountaineer on Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:42 am

Your daily lottery update.
Mountaineer

Postby Southern Fan on Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:18 am

Now we have to worry about the Capitals beating us out :x
Southern Fan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DelPen on Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:27 am

Southern Fan wrote:Now we have to worry about the Capitals beating us out :x

I wouldn't worry too much about anything. I highly doubt we will be outside the bottom three and if the 4th and 5th from last win the lottery that only bumps us back to #4.

There are pretty much 4 players right now who are considered the elite guys, Johnson, Kessel, Toews and Staal. Either of them would be a great pick.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Jim on Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:51 am

At least the Caps don't play us anymore. They have a better chance of getting W's that way.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Steve on Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:09 am

There are pretty much 4 players right now who are considered the elite guys, Johnson, Kessel, Toews and Staal. Either of them would be a great pick.

Exactly - and it's embarrassing that our team is once again looking at a last place finish, and some of our fans are rooting for it....
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:27 am

Steve wrote:

Exactly - and it's embarrassing that our team is once again looking at a last place finish, and some of our fans are rooting for it....

I understand your point, but would you rather finsh just out of the playoffs?

I was a fan the year before they drafted Mario, It was my first year as a season ticket holder and I was livid that the franchise seemed to go into the tank at the end of the season. (They got the first pick by one game over NJ).
"No draft pick is worth 'tanking' for" was my motto at the time.

I couldn't have been more wrong.

Now, thee's no #66 out there to draft this year, but I'd hate to see the team get the third pick (In my mind its a three tier draft - Kessel, Johnson then Toews and Staal, then everyone else)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby scals37 on Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:27 am

well heck, of course its embarassing... you root for a team all year, and theres such a let down..... well id rather them at least salvage something out of the season
scals37
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:27 am

We are rooting for last because rooting for next to last gives us nothing but pride. And we all know pride is over rated.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Steve on Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:42 am

I'd rather see our team improve, see some of the younger guys gel and gain some chemistry. That is more important (to me) then obtaining the number one pick, especially in a year where there is no clear cut #1. (i.e. crosby, AO).

I don't want our team to turn into the Bengals, drafting in the first few slots overall every year, and making the playoffs every 20 years - and the hockey hall of fame is full of players drafted 5th-10th overall.

Looking forward to the draft is fun, and we should get some reward for the season we've all suffered from, so it's all good.

Let's go Pens!
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby HomerPenguin on Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:50 am

Steve wrote:I'd rather see our team improve, see some of the younger guys gel and gain some chemistry. That is more important (to me) then obtaining the number one pick, especially in a year where there is no clear cut #1. (i.e. crosby, AO).

I don't want our team to turn into the Bengals, drafting in the first few slots overall every year, and making the playoffs every 20 years - and the hockey hall of fame is full of players drafted 5th-10th overall.

Looking forward to the draft is fun, and we should get some reward for the season we've all suffered from, so it's all good.

Let's go Pens!

No question everybody would be happier if the team were in the playoff hunt, but as bad as they've played this season it seems clear that they NEED more talent. The choice between finishing dead last and finishing third or fourth from last seems pretty hollow to me, and given that this season was effectively over in November I'd just as soon they get as high a pick as possible and hope they continue to show improvement into next season. I don't want them to turn into the Bengals either, but looking at it from the perspective of THIS YEAR they're better off finishing low enough to get one of those 3 top guys.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby relantel on Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:51 am

Being 7 points behind the Hawks, Caps and Blues, and a max gain of 32 points if the Pens finished 16-0, and having no games left with any of the three, the combination of each of them gaining 25 points or the Pens failing to gain points is what will clinch last overall. (a tie in points will be broken by Wins, where the Pens have no real hope of catching, being down 4, 5 and 6 goals) They have 17, 17 and 18 games left, and St. Louis plays Chicago twice. Even an 8-8 finish by the Pens still leaves each of those teams only having to gain 9 points to finish above the Pens -- i.e. the Pens do not have to tank to still finish last overall. Add in that 8 of the Pens 16 remaining games are versus divisional opponents, where, save for New Jersey (3-3), the Pens have not fared too well this year. On the other hand, four of those eight divisional games are against the Isles, where the Pens are 1-0-0-3 this year, but the last several seasons against the Isles have not been pretty.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/standings?season=2006&group=league&column=points&order=null&seasontype=2

Playoff elimination will be secured this weekend with a loss to the Canadiens formalizing what we've all known for months.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Peter on Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:15 pm

Yes you would rather finish just close to the playoffs. Because it would be exciting. Who wants to watch the Penguins in Mid March when they are the worst team and there's no hope for anything this year? Well I guess all you "true" fans do. I have better things to do with my time like video games or um....Yeah Pirates are going all the way this year. Wooooo
Peter

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:24 pm

Peter wrote:Yes you would rather finish just close to the playoffs. Because it would be exciting.

If you'd have taken that additude in 1983 we'd be sitting here talking about Pittsburghs AHL franchise.

I consider all hockey exciting and as long as we aren't watching a team of washed up Vets (ala the Rangers 1996-2004), I'll follow the Pens regardless.

However, I'll be happy to take my medicine for a few more games if it means getting deep into the Playoffs next year. I don't want to be a fan of a team that misses the playoffs Year after Year after Year.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Pitts on Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:33 pm

Peter wrote:Who wants to watch the Penguins in Mid March when they are the worst team and there's no hope for anything this year?

It's hockey...what's not to like?
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:20 pm

26 year old chicks are still nice... but I do not know if it's actaully a "majic number"
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins