Kessel scouting report, Pens picks on TV tonight

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Kessel scouting report, Pens picks on TV tonight

Postby Draftnik on Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:06 pm

http://tsf.waymoresports.thestar.com/thestar/hockey/news.cgi?prospect

Kessel plus Pens picks Goligoski, Sertich, Goepfert, and Jensen play in the Minnesota - St. Cloud St. game tonight at 8:30 EST on DTV channel 641.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ville5 on Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:30 pm

An exceptional, fast skater who also happens to be a sniper. Sounds just like what a certain bottom-feeding team needs. And lacks throughout its system. A certain team that wears black and gold. :wink:
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Fast B on Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:31 pm

ville5 wrote:An exceptional, fast skater who also happens to be a sniper. Sounds just like what a certain bottom-feeding team needs. And lacks throughout its system. A certain team that wears black and gold. :wink:

What do the Pirates have to do with this?

;)
Fast B
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Kessel scouting report, Pens picks on TV tonight

Postby netwolf on Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:21 pm

Draftnik wrote:http://tsf.waymoresports.thestar.com/thestar/hockey/news.cgi?prospect

Kessel plus Pens picks Goligoski, Sertich, Goepfert, and Jensen play in the Minnesota - St. Cloud St. game tonight at 8:30 EST on DTV channel 641.

I expect a full scouting report at the end of the game. :wink:
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Kessel scouting report, Pens picks on TV tonight

Postby Draftnik on Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:33 pm

netwolf wrote:
Draftnik wrote:http://tsf.waymoresports.thestar.com/thestar/hockey/news.cgi?prospect

I expect a full scouting report at the end of the game. :wink:

I'll Tivo the game since the hoops tourney is going on and watch it some time this weekend or early next week. I'm especially looking forward to seeing Goepfert against the powerful Gopher lineup.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Mad City Mike on Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:38 pm

I just saw that Goepfert was named 1st team WCHA goalie, beating out several outstanding goalies like UW's Brian Elliott.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby BJL on Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:51 pm

I really wish I had gotten the guys name but on Leafs Lunch they were discussin the upcoming new scouting rankings and why Kessel had fallen off so much. The guy said he almost hated to say it but Kessel stopped progressing and is just trying to do everything with speed... he actually uttered the name Alexandre Daigle. That said, he wouldn't be surprised if the Blues get the 1st pick if they take him anyway just to generate interest. They were raving about Erik Johnson and Jordan Staal the entire show.
BJL
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Mad City Mike on Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:08 pm

BJL wrote:The guy said he almost hated to say it but Kessel stopped progressing and is just trying to do everything with speed... he actually uttered the name Alexandre Daigle.

That is exactly what I saw out of him in the game we went to here. He just got the puck and took off, never even worrying about passing the puck or setting something up.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Mad City Mike on Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:10 pm

Also, Goligoski is second team all-WCHA. Not too shabby for a sophomore, eh?
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby jmh70 on Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:12 pm

I'd love for Kessel to prove my opinion of him to be wrong.

Kessel won rookie of the year by just one vote over Oshie.
jmh70

Postby netwolf on Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:30 pm

Mad City Mike wrote:Also, Goligoski is second team all-WCHA. Not too shabby for a sophomore, eh?

Or for the worst pick ever. :wink:
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FallenHero96 on Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:34 pm

game is about to start im watching ... I'll let ya know what I think
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Ron` on Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:45 pm

Hmmm, Kessel not progressing this year, only the one man "bullrush" moves, and he's playing in a good program. This sounds very familiar. I still contend he's not worthy of a top 5 pick for these very reasons. Hope the Pens see the same things.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Ron` on Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:02 pm

Nice goal by the worst draft pick ever.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby jmh70 on Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:04 pm

Lethal shot by Goligoski.
jmh70

Postby FallenHero96 on Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:21 pm

Kessel is playing 3rd line center.. and he was flying out there for a couple shifts. Made some good passes... knocked one puck out of mid-air at the blue line skating in once and got a good shot off... he is definately a shooter

Goligoski plays very confident and looks great... he likes to sneak in the slot on the power plays, on his goal he got the puck from behind the net in the slot and did a little curl and drag and fired one upstairs, great shot
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Ron` on Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:36 pm

Was that one Kessel's great passes? He drives almost to the crease, can't get a clear shot and then dishes to a right wingman who is too deep to have any scoring angle? That is not what I have in mind for a smart play.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Ron` on Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:46 pm

This is not looking like a good game to scout. Minn seems to be running around too much. Kessel was way deep on that last goal, but hard to tell if he stayed too long down low, or who was responsible for the man up high that scored. That's why I hate TV.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Ron` on Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:50 pm

Now that was a nice pass across the box by Kessel for the assist on PP.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby guiner on Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:00 pm

I've watched a lot of gopher games this year. I love it when folks claim that Kessel is selfish, and can only score. Which I've always found amusing. Guess its just an example of sheep-think. Guess no one ever bothered to check the stats a see he leads the team with 30 assists on the year.

Not that I am a huge fan of his, I am on record as much prefering Erik Johnson and will stay that way.

http://gophersports.com/sports/stattemp ... t_id=mhock

g
guiner
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FallenHero96 on Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:19 pm

6-5 st. cloud at the end of 2.... and yes ron, kessel has made some good passes, you watching the same game?.. I think he has 3 assists tonight.

Goligoksi had a tough period... he is very offensive minded... got caught running around a little bit in his own end though. He lost the puck in his skates in front of the net, then it got kicked out in the slot and he went to cover a guy that was already covered by someone else and let a guy come down the slot to score...

good game
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby jmh70 on Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:27 pm

For a goal scorer, Kessel has about twice as many assists than goals. That's not really a knock against him. It's more of a knock against scouts who overrate his goal scoring ability while underrating his playmaking ability.
jmh70

Postby Ron` on Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:28 pm

Yes I am watching the same game. The cross box pass for the one timer by Kessel was crisp and nice. Two of his assists are not what I'd call classic setups by him. Particularly that last one, puck glances off his stick trying to shoot in front to Potulny for the hat trick.

I disagree on the Alex G play. Yes he lost the puck in his skates tying up his man. He actually still played the puck to his partner, who made a bad choice trying to clear it up the center of the ice instead of to the boards. As odds will usually be, a man picks it wide open between the dots and scores. He never left his man that I saw, so you confuse me on that one. Don't have the Tivo going so I can't verify that.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Ron` on Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:03 am

Now there's a pure goal scorer, Potulny to tie it with 14.6 secs left.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby jmh70 on Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:10 am

There's another reason to hate Philly: they draft well (at least recently).
jmh70

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins