Fleury's contract...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Fleury's contract...

Postby Jim on Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:33 pm

What were the terms of Fleury getting his bonuses and how close is he to them? I know they were decidedly "easy" but as the team mega-failed in front of him I do not think he is close to many. At least not enough for the big bonus $.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,634
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Fleury's contract...

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:38 pm

Jim wrote:What were the terms of Fleury getting his bonuses and how close is he to them? I know they were decidedly "easy" but as the team mega-failed in front of him I do not think he is close to many. At least not enough for the big bonus $.


Fleury is able to earn $400,000 for each of these statistical milestones:

20 victories -------- on pace for 11
3.25 goals-against average ------- currently 3.26
.890 save percentage ------- currently .899
1,800 minutes-played ------- currently 2208 (Cha Ching that'll be $400,000 please)
four shutouts ---- He has one
top-three finish in rookie of the year voting - Nope

What's more, the bonus becomes a flat $4 million if he reaches just two of those six as a rookie. Then in the second season it's three of the six to trigger the bonus.

But this year, it just ain't happening.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Jim on Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:48 pm

So he needs three of the 5 this year...

20 victories - 9
3.25 goals-against average - 3.26
.890 save percentage - .899
1,800 minutes-played - 2208
four shutouts - 1

Wins and shutouts are realistically out.

GAA is right there...

Sv% is good.

Minutes are a sure thing


So... if he can get his GAA to drop 0.01 he would actually get the BIG bonus. Wow, the Pens payroll department is on the edge of their seats...
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,634
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Postby Mad City Mike on Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:53 pm

Jim wrote:So he needs three of the 5 this year...


No, I think he needs four this year, so there will be no flat bonus.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,772
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:14 am
Location: De Forest, WI

Postby davemess on Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:54 pm

Yeah it is 4 out of 6 for the flat bonus.

Victories
Minutes
Shutouts
GAA
Save Percentage
Top 10 in League in either GAA or SvP
davemess
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 517
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:12 pm
Location: Scotland

Postby Jim on Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:55 pm

Does last year actually count as his second year? If so that friggin blows for him!

There was no NHL so he was actually not eligable to get it. I smell a grevance being filed...
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,634
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:55 pm

Jim wrote:So... if he can get his GAA to drop 0.01 he would actually get the BIG bonus. Wow, the Pens payroll department is on the edge of their seats...


I'm absolutely convinced the Pens will bring up a bevy of D-Men from WBS to close out the season. They'll say it's for player development (And that will be one reason), but they'll start playing a more freewheeling game just to avoid paying the money.

I know it sounds like an Oliver Stone plot, but I truly believe it.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby davemess on Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:57 pm

Jim wrote:Does last year actually count as his second year? If so that friggin blows for him!

There was no NHL so he was actually not eligable to get it. I smell a grevance being filed...



He cant file a grevance, players agreed to have that year written off their deals as part of the new CBA tidy up.
davemess
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 517
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:12 pm
Location: Scotland

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:57 pm

Guys, I pulled the data from a source that isn't the most credible. Please someone verify my data.

MCM, I am pretty sure it's only three of the four this year, but I could be wrong.

I do know CP was quoted as saying they used the DiPietro deal EXACTLY! He said they just changed the names.
Last edited by ExPatriatePen on Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby davemess on Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:58 pm

Its 4...... the PG had a whole breakdown about a month ago.

Will take a look see if i can find it but it is definetly 4. (Went 2 for the flat, then 3 then 4 in the last year).
davemess
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 517
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:12 pm
Location: Scotland

Postby davemess on Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:02 pm

A top 10 finish among NHL goalies in goals-against average and/or save percentage.
Twenty victories.
A save percentage of .890 or higher.
Playing time of 1,800 minutes or more.
A goals-against average of 3.25 or lower.
Four shutouts.

While there is an individual payment for each of those, the payment of just more than $3 million comes into play if Fleury hits four of those objectives


http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05360/628119.stm
davemess
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 517
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:12 pm
Location: Scotland

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:07 pm

So what's he have to do next year hit FIVE? (Edit - He's an RFA this summer)

Something doesn't seem right here.

2005-6 Four
2004-5 Doesn't count
2003-4 Three
2002-3 Two But he was back in Juniors?????

Are they really considering this the 3rd year of the contract? That doesn't seem right since they didn't play last year.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby davemess on Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:14 pm

It wasnt just Fleury...... every player had a year taken off his contract.

The contracts are not signed for 3 years they are signed for the 2003, 2004 and 2005 season.

When a year is lost to lockout or strike that year just disapears.
davemess
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 517
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:12 pm
Location: Scotland

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:20 pm

davemess wrote:It wasnt just Fleury...... every player had a year taken off his contract.

The contracts are not signed for 3 years they are signed for the 2003, 2004 and 2005 season.

When a year is lost to lockout or strike that year just disapears.


I understand that Dave, but very few contracts are like this one. It's not only incentive ladden, but it's got an escallated incentive. Doesn't sound very fair to the kid.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby HomerPenguin on Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:33 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
davemess wrote:It wasnt just Fleury...... every player had a year taken off his contract.

The contracts are not signed for 3 years they are signed for the 2003, 2004 and 2005 season.

When a year is lost to lockout or strike that year just disapears.


I understand that Dave, but very few contracts are like this one. It's not only incentive ladden, but it's got an escallated incentive. Doesn't sound very fair to the kid.


Maybe not, but he signed the contract and it was his union that took a "principled" stand leading into the lockout only to give the owners MORE than what they originally asked for after the lost season. I don't think he can hold this against the team.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,884
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:50 pm
Location: ...

Postby Jim on Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:49 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:So what's he have to do next year hit FIVE? (Edit - He's an RFA this summer)

Something doesn't seem right here.

2005-6 Four
2004-5 Doesn't count
2003-4 Three
2002-3 Two But he was back in Juniors?????

Are they really considering this the 3rd year of the contract? That doesn't seem right since they didn't play last year.



From what others are saying it's like this:

2005-6 Four
2004-5 Three (Didn't happen but still counts per the CBA agreement)
2003-4 Two
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,634
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:52 pm

HomerPenguin wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:
davemess wrote:It wasnt just Fleury...... every player had a year taken off his contract.

The contracts are not signed for 3 years they are signed for the 2003, 2004 and 2005 season.

When a year is lost to lockout or strike that year just disapears.


I understand that Dave, but very few contracts are like this one. It's not only incentive ladden, but it's got an escallated incentive. Doesn't sound very fair to the kid.


Maybe not, but he signed the contract and it was his union that took a "principled" stand leading into the lockout only to give the owners MORE than what they originally asked for after the lost season. I don't think he can hold this against the team.


No, LEAGALLY, he can't. But if there ever was a kid who earned the right to have a bad attitude about the Pens organization, It'd be Marc-Andre.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby HomerPenguin on Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:12 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
HomerPenguin wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:
davemess wrote:It wasnt just Fleury...... every player had a year taken off his contract.

The contracts are not signed for 3 years they are signed for the 2003, 2004 and 2005 season.

When a year is lost to lockout or strike that year just disapears.


I understand that Dave, but very few contracts are like this one. It's not only incentive ladden, but it's got an escallated incentive. Doesn't sound very fair to the kid.


Maybe not, but he signed the contract and it was his union that took a "principled" stand leading into the lockout only to give the owners MORE than what they originally asked for after the lost season. I don't think he can hold this against the team.


No, LEAGALLY, he can't. But if there ever was a kid who earned the right to have a bad attitude about the Pens organization, It'd be Marc-Andre.


I agree, but not about this. The lockout isn't the Penguins fault and everybody lost a year off of their contracts, not just MAF.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,884
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:50 pm
Location: ...

Postby DelPen on Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:59 pm

It's a moot point because Fleury signed a two-way deal, as all entry-level deals are, and played last year in WBS which ticked a year off the deal. In theory, even if there was a season last year he could have very well been in WBS the whole time. And really the only reason he wasn't in WBS in 2004 was because he was too young or else he would have been there the whole year.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 33,662
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC


Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


e-mail