Rendell Talks About New Arena, Funding

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Rendell Talks About New Arena, Funding

Postby dboss on Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:22 pm

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11880915/

New quotes from Rendell on arena funding.
dboss
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Rendell Talks About New Arena, Funding

Postby HomerPenguin on Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:30 pm

dboss wrote:http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11880915/

New quotes from Rendell on arena funding.

Thanks, dboss. I clicked on that link and now my den is filled 2/3 of the way up with horse ****.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby bill from turtle creek on Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:40 pm

This will be amusing. I think the old governor's got a lot of bad possibilities if/when FC wins. He needs to figure out some way to pay for an arena. He knows that if the Pens are looking like they are going to leave by next November, that it could easily lead to his election defeat. He doesn't want to have FC not get the license, so he needs to craft an alternative plan. So, all of a sudden Plan B crops up. Plan B will in some way involve a Penguin contribution and a public contribution.

Wouldn't it be hilarious to watch if the Pens accept Plan B and say they are willing to donate. Ed is happy and think his problem is solved. But the old folks/yinzers in the county all get super pissed off about the public funding portion, and THEY decide to vote him out of office for ramming an arena down their throats.

That would be getting our cake, and eating it, too. Pens stay, Rendell leaves. We all win.
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er

From the "Did he really say that ?" department

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:56 pm

From the "Did he really say that ?" department

"We hope this will be a good enough plan that the Penguins will say. Our first choice is the gaming license. But if that fails, the plan that has been presented by the mayor, county executive and the governor will be sufficient to keep us here," Rendell said.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby bill from turtle creek on Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:10 pm

I'm sure that is precisely what he's thinking! He probably suspects that if the Pens aren't here, neither are "us", to use his word.
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby netwolf on Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:37 pm

bill from turtle creek wrote:Wouldn't it be hilarious to watch if the Pens accept Plan B and say they are willing to donate. Ed is happy and think his problem is solved. But the old folks/yinzers in the county all get super pissed off about the public funding portion, and THEY decide to vote him out of office for ramming an arena down their throats.

That would be getting our cake, and eating it, too. Pens stay, Rendell leaves. We all win.

Trouble with that is, the license doesn't have to be awarded before the election.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: From the "Did he really say that ?" department

Postby netwolf on Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:38 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:From the "Did he really say that ?" department

"We hope this will be a good enough plan that the Penguins will say. Our first choice is the gaming license. But if that fails, the plan that has been presented by the mayor, county executive and the governor will be sufficient to keep us here," Rendell said.

Typical political posturing. He was using words like "us" and "we' when talk ing about the Steeler too.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:43 pm

netwolf wrote:Trouble with that is, the license doesn't have to be awarded before the election.

I'm quite convinced there's NO WAY the license is awarded before the election. I only helps the Gov if he delays.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby netwolf on Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:51 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
netwolf wrote:Trouble with that is, the license doesn't have to be awarded before the election.

I'm quite convinced there's NO WAY the license is awarded before the election. I only helps the Gov if he delays.

I wonder if it's struck him yet that if he used his clout to get IoC the license BEFORE the election, that it could him him out, particularly around here...
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bill from turtle creek on Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:32 am

Unlikely. He needs the financial payback from FC to fund his retirement, most likely. He's always wanted to be a highly paid consultant who golfs with bigwigs a lot.
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins