Calm down Crosby-bashers....

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Calm down Crosby-bashers....

Postby netwolf on Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:17 pm

The Kid knows he has some growing up to do.

How about we give him some time to do it?
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby netwolf on Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:21 pm

There is also a video clip.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby NIN on Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:19 pm

No. Yapping at the officials will cost the PENGUINS A GAME! It is time to stop that crap right now. Everything else is 100% awesome and I would'nt change a thing with the Kids game but abusing the refs is absolutly pointless and as dumb as dumb can be. Players are allowed to yap at or about EACH OTHER as much as possible. Crosby just needs to refocus that emotional angst towards the opponents and let the zebras draw their own conclussions.

For example: When he failed to draw a call after White politely bumped him in the face with an elbow. Crosby could have got up, join the play, and mother **** White so loud and vulgar that the ref would blush and consider making that call next time.
NIN

Postby FallenHero96 on Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:23 pm

Calm down... Crosby will learn sooner or later. Lots of great players whined to the ref early in their career.... Lemieux did, and Gretzky was the worst of all....
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Ron` on Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:24 pm

Yawn, this reminds me of my past frustrations with my son's immature actions. They slowly grow out of it and isn't worth the heartburn worrying about it.

Bottom line is this was a lost season long ago, before Christmas. Not like he cost them a playoff spot this year.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby NIN on Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:28 pm

I dunno. I did'nt think it was a big deal after one but 2 or 3 is a trend and I am worried. I don't know if Crosby is capable of playing his game without abusing the zebras. Especially when it is a tight checking trap game like that one, when everybody is in your face all night. This is where a Kevin Stevns type of brut would REALLY help Crosby maintain his cool. When you got guys like Iginla on your line you get room.
NIN

Postby Reilly on Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:41 pm

I think most of you forget he's 18.
Reilly

Postby NIN on Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:44 pm

Also, im not bashing anybody, im pointing out the obvious. Yapping at the refs is dumb. 10, 15, 18, 20, 30, 40 whatever. If you can comprehend a rulebook you know its dumb to do.
NIN

Postby Pitts on Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:11 pm

NIN wrote:Also, im not bashing anybody, im pointing out the obvious. Yapping at the refs is dumb. 10, 15, 18, 20, 30, 40 whatever. If you can comprehend a rulebook you know its dumb to do.

He's only 18 buddy. Everyone is dumb at 18. Even superstars. I guarantee he will be a completley differnet player at 20, 22, 25, 28 ...
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby netwolf on Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:11 pm

Reilly wrote:I think most of you forget he's 18.

Bingo!
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby netwolf on Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:13 pm

NIN wrote:For example: When he failed to draw a call after White politely bumped him in the face with an elbow. Crosby could have got up, join the play, and mother **** White so loud and vulgar that the ref would blush and consider making that call next time.

So cursing out the refs does no good and gets you in trouble, but cursing out the guy that elbowed you will get you the call next time around? What kind of messed up logic is that?
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Goalie on Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:26 pm

netwolf wrote:
NIN wrote:For example: When he failed to draw a call after White politely bumped him in the face with an elbow. Crosby could have got up, join the play, and mother **** White so loud and vulgar that the ref would blush and consider making that call next time.

So cursing out the refs does no good and gets you in trouble, but cursing out the guy that elbowed you will get you the call next time around? What kind of messed up logic is that?

I have a tough time criticizing any athlete for language on the playing field when the reason the cameras and microphones are so close and able to hear and read these guys lips is because the fans have begged for more access over the years.

My favorite is when Tiger lets a swear word go after hitting a bad shot. The microphones are right on the tee because people want to hear and see Tiger on the course as close as possible yet they want to rip him for swearing. People need to get over themselves.

Now if you want to say someone complains to the officials too much thats a whole different story. As people have said Crosby is 18 give him a chance to grow out of it.

On the flip side though he has been baited many times by officials this year because of his age and success and being crowned as the next coming. The officials need to grow up to. He needs to be treated equally by officials and many times he has not been, he has picked up penalties this year wear the officials were looking to make a name for themselves.

He will grow out of it and the officials will no longer feel the need to show him up, it will take time though.
Goalie
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby NIN on Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:32 pm

Goalie wrote:
netwolf wrote:

I have a tough time criticizing any athlete for language on the playing field when the reason the cameras and microphones are so close and able to hear and read these guys lips is because the fans have begged for more access over the years.

My favorite is when Tiger lets a swear word go after hitting a bad shot. The microphones are right on the tee because people want to hear and see Tiger on the course as close as possible yet they want to rip him for swearing. People need to get over themselves.

Now if you want to say someone complains to the officials too much thats a whole different story. As people have said Crosby is 18 give him a chance to grow out of it.

On the flip side though he has been baited many times by officials this year because of his age and success and being crowned as the next coming. The officials need to grow up to. He needs to be treated equally by officials and many times he has not been, he has picked up penalties this year wear the officials were looking to make a name for themselves.

He will grow out of it and the officials will no longer feel the need to show him up, it will take time though.

So what now an official can't skate near the penalty box? It isn't like he stuck his tongue out at him :P .

Look, the league wants to get rid of diving. The popular opinion is that it is bad. I happen to enjoy it but I am in the minority.
NIN

Postby NIN on Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:34 pm

netwolf wrote:

It's SOOo messed up that it just....might....work....

Crosby has to ignore the refs, he is a target so do the team a favor and act like a man. If I was a ref I would slap Crosby right in the face and then spit on him. Then I would moon him while he sat in the box and then start rattleing off "2 more" like in the movie the Breakfast CLub!!

"I got you for the rest of your natural born life mister.!" :evil:
NIN

Postby Bowser on Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:35 pm

The blame should go squarely on the NHL for not reigning in the egos with the zebras. This stuff wouldn't be happening if the Penguins had a GM who wasn't asleep at the wheel. There comes a time and place, when a man has to stand up and make his feelings known in public.

Patrick and Lemieux know the officials have placed a vendetta against Crosby but refuse to say anything publicly because "tough love" is a better development tool.

This organization is so arse backwards, its a friggin joke.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DrBoni on Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:47 am

Speaking as someone who has been 18, recently, I can say that I was pretty stupid when I was 18. It's amazing what two-three years will do for maturity. It's a major change in his life and some things take longer to catch up.

Trust me, after this year he'll have the whole summer to look back in retrospect and think of what he did that was smart and what needs to change.

It's like the freshman who drinks his way through fall quarter and by the time he realizes he fails all of his classes it's too late. He's going through his college years...without the college. Crosby's smart enough to fix his problems and come into the next season a stronger man.
DrBoni
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Steve on Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:04 am

anyone remember scott stevens in his first couple of years - all you had to do was elbow him and you'd have a powerplay on his retaliation. How did he turn out?

Sid is fine - he went through a month or so when he was out of control, but he's toned it down since.

let's go Pens!
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: ...

Postby Goalie on Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:22 am

DrBoni wrote:Speaking as someone who has been 18, recently, I can say that I was pretty stupid when I was 18. It's amazing what two-three years will do for maturity. It's a major change in his life and some things take longer to catch up.

Trust me, after this year he'll have the whole summer to look back in retrospect and think of what he did that was smart and what needs to change.

It's like the freshman who drinks his way through fall quarter and by the time he realizes he fails all of his classes it's too late. He's going through his college years...without the college. Crosby's smart enough to fix his problems and come into the next season a stronger man.

I think you have it backwards, that kid is going through college without the classes, he is definetely getting his fill of college. :D
Goalie
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby netwolf on Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:32 am

Dave Molinari re-hashes the same quotes in today's Penguins Notebook.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby NIN on Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:36 am

netwolf wrote:Dave Molinari re-hashes the same quotes in today's Penguins Notebook.

Gee thanks for that breaking news flash! :wink: What would we do without your needless posts? :D
NIN

funny thing is...

Postby penny lane on Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:21 pm

fans want what they want when they want it...

If Sid was a stoic sort...no emotion, no displays of a competative
manner you can bet that fans would be saying "where his fire?"
Lord above if Sid did not get involve with the plhysical side; fans
questioning his manhood? :oops:

during the game Sid will learn to skate away and curse in french;
but at the carolina game couple saturday's ago I still don't know
why the ref gave him a penalty when he was discussing
a play at the end of the period? Ref just wanted to prove a point
that HE has more power...it's all a power struggle in the end. :twisted:
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: funny thing is...

Postby NIN on Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:45 pm

penny lane wrote:during the game Sid will learn to skate away and curse in french;

In Crosby's mind he is too good for the whole "gotta pay your dues" mentality. That is just fine except when it comes to talking the the officials. I thought that giving him an "A" would allow him to relax and talk to the officials man to man but appearantly he is being a dick about it still.

All I know is that if I am out there working and some kid or ANYBODY else for that matter wants to give me greif then I will happily give some greif back and guess what. The officials ARE IN CHARGE. There IS NO power debate here. They are the boss, you must respect that. Failure to do so will result in your team lossing so go ahead and ***** Crosby. Alot of fans will change their tune when it costs the team a playoff game sometime. He wont just grow out of this, this is the type of player he will be perceived as for a long time by the refs.
NIN

Postby FallenHero96 on Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:05 pm

NIN wrote:
penny lane wrote:during the game Sid will learn to skate away and curse in french;

In Crosby's mind he is too good for the whole "gotta pay your dues" mentality.

really? It was so nice for Crosby to share that information with you. Im sure it has nothing to do with getting mauled every night and not drawing a penalty, that wouldnt make any sense.

NIN you are really reaching for straws man. Crosby isnt the only person that ever did this and he wont be the last. Yes its dumb and yes he shouldnt do it, but IT HAPPENS. Its called growing pains. And this image won't last forever, you think Gretz got less calls because he was Whine Gretzky in his first 2 years? How about Mary Lynn Lemieux, when was the last time you heard that? That was Mario's crybaby name..... wow that sure affected him in his career eh?

Then you have Bowser with the conspiracy theories.... tough love and vendettas... :lol:
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby NIN on Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:13 pm

FallenHero96 wrote:
NIN wrote:

In Crosby's mind he is too good for the whole "gotta pay your dues" mentality.

really? It was so nice for Crosby to share that information with you. Im sure it has nothing to do with getting mauled every night and not drawing a penalty, that wouldnt make any sense.

NIN you are really reaching for straws man. Crosby isnt the only person that ever did this and he wont be the last. Yes its dumb and yes he shouldnt do it, but IT HAPPENS. Its called growing pains. And this image won't last forever, you think Gretz got less calls because he was Whine Gretzky in his first 2 years? How about Mary Lynn Lemieux, when was the last time you heard that? That was Mario's crybaby name..... wow that sure affected him in his career eh?

Then you have Bowser with the conspiracy theories.... tough love and vendettas... :lol:

I just hope the new arena has a changing table so Therrian can powder Crosby's butt between periods. :lol:
NIN

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins