Burnside rips the Pens...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Burnside rips the Pens...

Postby Mountaineer on Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:19 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/s ... id=2372474

Cellar sweepstakes

Far away from the wildly exciting playoff races is another interesting battle, the battle for the first overall pick in the late June draft in Vancouver. The bottom five teams in the standings will be part of a weighted lottery to determine which has the first overall pick, which likely will be used to select U.S. forward Phil Kessel or countryman Erik Johnson, a standout defenseman.

It appears the Penguins will have the best shot at the first overall pick for the second straight year, given their seven-point lead for the league's last-place spot. That's quite an honor for one of the most dysfunctional, poorly run organizations in the league. The Penguins are followed by Chicago (ditto on the organizational front), Washington and St. Louis, who are all tied for 29th overall. Columbus would be the fifth team in the lottery.

Based on commitment to winning, it would be fair and just if Columbus or St. Louis earned the first pick, given those teams' strong play in the face of a meaningless second half. Washington, a team that features Alexander Ovechkin and 19 other players with sticks, is always tough to play against and also would be deserving of the first pick.

Ouch. Pens not committed to winning, and therefore aren't deserving of the top pick. This might as well have been addressed to Craig Patrick.
Mountaineer

Postby Fast B on Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:26 pm

What a maroon. The top picks are awarded to the teams that suck the most, not the teams that try the hardest (though certainly you don't want to blatantly tank). Oh boo hoo, the Pens don't deserve the top pick because they aren't trying. Maybe they *are* trying, but they stink out loud. Ever think of that, Scott?

I will add that he isn't wrong about how poorly the organization is run. Proof: Glenn Patrick as a coach at any level. QED.
Fast B
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby netwolf on Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:31 pm

I'm not going to defend the Pens (you can't, really), but all of those teams at the bottom stink. Chicago has been notoriously reluctant to spend money (Khabibulin aside) to keep their own players, St. Louis has been having a firesale from the word go, and Washington is starting over with Ovechkin.

You could argue the at least the Pens tried to improve themselves via free agency, but they didn't work out. I won't do that, but someone else could. :wink:
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby NJ5934 on Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:43 pm

I think Chicago is in the same boat as us. Never would have thought with all the UFA's they signed in the offseason they would be stuck at the bottom.

Disfunctional is not even beginning to touch the tip of the story of Penguins management.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitts on Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:14 pm

Fast B wrote:What a maroon. The top picks are awarded to the teams that suck the most, not the teams that try the hardest (though certainly you don't want to blatantly tank). Oh boo hoo, the Pens don't deserve the top pick because they aren't trying. Maybe they *are* trying, but they stink out loud. Ever think of that, Scott?

I will add that he isn't wrong about how poorly the organization is run. Proof: Glenn Patrick as a coach at any level. QED.

You will continue to hear the whining from other team's and city's writers because the Pens already have a slew of top draft picks, with the prize of that crop being Crosby. In some people's eyes, we probably shouldn't be allowed to have another #1 pick.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bowser on Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:37 pm

Chicago should hold the title as worst NHL franchise considering how Wirtz has destroyed a city's passion for the sport. The Penguins, namely Lemieux and Patrick, are doing a bangup job to take that title.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Fast B on Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:25 am

Pitts wrote:You will continue to hear the whining from other team's and city's writers because the Pens already have a slew of top draft picks, with the prize of that crop being Crosby. In some people's eyes, we probably shouldn't be allowed to have another #1 pick.

Oh, I realize that. And I still think they can kiss my ass. As if we want to see our team get annihilated every year.
Fast B
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:19 am

What logic. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Just scrap the lottery then. Award the top pick to the Stanley Cup Champs because they have the most "commitment to winning".

If a team purposely tanked, maybe I could see this kind of point being made, but no way is this team "purposely tanking". Teams don't do that anymore, no since the "#66" rule (The lottery) was put into place.

I think someones just trying to stir up trouble.

You want trouble? Try this scenerio for trouble...

The Pens win the lottery and get yet another first round pick this year, 2006-7 comes around and the young Pens team gives it's all, but end up the Fifth worst team in the league. In a stroke of luck rivaling the Crosby draft, they end up with the first pick overall one more time.

That my friends, would cause grumbling from here to Toronto.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

drafts & trades

Postby penny lane on Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:04 pm

Fast B wrote:
Pitts wrote:You will continue to hear the whining from other team's and city's writers because the Pens already have a slew of top draft picks, with the prize of that crop being Crosby. In some people's eyes, we probably shouldn't be allowed to have another #1 pick.

Oh, I realize that. And I still think they can kiss my ass. As if we want to see our team get annihilated every year.

low draft picks & ability to trade picks & prospects...isn't that how
tampa bay got a cup & what those senators keep trying to do?
Took them many years of bad hockey to get good.

sorry no special lottery to bad canadian teams (leafs) :P
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins