Pens' ONLY offer to Kovy

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Pens' ONLY offer to Kovy

Postby ville5 on Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:26 am

was a last minute, lowball offer. Contrary to what others have stated on here. :shock:
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06077/672618.stm
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Reilly on Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:40 am

I think everyone knew it was a lowball offer....just not at the last minute. Everyone assumed on the first day of FA the Penguins made an offer. (Madden)

Now, in response to that article.

Fire Craig Patrick.

Honestly, you don't lowball a player at the last minute you really want especially one such a Kovalev after his performace in Pittsburgh. Did they not have a whole year off to think about who they needed to tardet when the offseason started? What was CP thinking about? It would be one thing if they at least matched Montreal but they were too late and he chose them simply because he thought he had a better change at winning. That's ok then. It happens. They tried. But this is just unbeleavable considering what Lemieux said about looking to get free agents.

Personally, I think a healthy Ziggy Palffy is better than a healthy Kovalev and in the end, Ziggy's contract was better anyway, but this leaves a bad taste in my mouth thinking about what will happen with the likes of Crosby, Fluery (this summer), and Malkin etc... need to be resigned.
Reilly

Postby NJ5934 on Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:58 am

Hmmmm...........RJ Umberger.

How typical is that. Too little too late.
The time has come for a more aggressive GM.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Bowser on Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:18 am

I guess Molinari failed to ask Kovalev, why was Lemieux telling people off the record that Kovalev was coming and a lock.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:23 am

Bowser wrote:I guess Molinari failed to ask Kovalev, why was Lemieux telling people off the record that Kovalev was coming and a lock.

Bowser, do we know that #66 was actually saying that? I know Madden has insinuated that Mario was his source, but I'm not so sure.

Who else did Mario tell?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Hockeynut! on Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:51 am

According to that article, the Pens signed Palffy after they offered Kovy a deal and he turned them down. They didn't sign Palffy at the last minute, so the Kovy offer was hardly last minute either. It would have been crazy to start making offers right away because no one knew what the market would be like.
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Mad City Mike on Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:02 am

Just another nail in the CP coffin :D
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:02 am

fizban wrote:With the financial situation of the Pens, and the signing of other UFAs, it didn't really make sense to overpay for ANOTHER UFA.

This was **before** the Palffy signing. So Palffy wouldn't have even been an issue if CP had made a serious offer for Kovy.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby NIN on Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:17 am

One has to wonder what was CP thinking? According to some sound bites around the time the FA bonanza began, Patrick was uncertain what would happen! He was using his precious patience to the worst of his ability once again. I tire of his tactics.

The only valid excuse would have to be that they pursued Forsberg before any other FA but I just don't think CP had that club in his country club golf bag.

I still would not mind him staying for the simple fact that 95% of the GMs I have judged are just as bad.
NIN

Postby ville5 on Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:39 am

Hockeynuts:
According to that article, the Pens signed Palffy after they offered Kovy a deal and he turned them down. They didn't sign Palffy at the last minute, so the Kovy offer was hardly last minute either. It would have been crazy to start making offers right away because no one knew what the market would be like.
It was last minute in that Montreals final offer was on the table. And Kovy was ready to sign it. As the 7 other teams that inquired when FA started, were nowhere to be found.
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Hockeynut! on Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:51 am

ville5 wrote: It was last minute in that Montreals final offer was on the table. And Kovy was ready to sign it. As the 7 other teams that inquired when FA started, were nowhere to be found.

Okay, I see your point. :)

I don't know though, I cant' fault the Pens on this one. Kovy overpriced himself and that's proven by the fact that the Pens and the Habs were the only two teams in hockey to offer him a contract.
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Draftnik on Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:34 pm

I don't know why this is so hard to understand. The Pens made him a take it or leave it offer in the summer of 2004. They offered him the exact same deal they gave to Recchi, $9M for 3 seasons. They had no plans to offer him a contract after the new CBA. I wasn't aware they offered him a contract at all in 05, but based on Kovy's comments it probably was a rehash of the 04 offer. They were never going to offer him more than Recchi under any circumstances.

Signing high prices UFAs is a waste of $$$. The Pens would be more entertaining with Kovy, but they would still suck.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby NIN on Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:37 pm

Draftnik wrote:I don't know why this is so hard to understand. The Pens made him a take it or leave it offer in the summer of 2004. They offered him the exact same deal they gave to Recchi, $9M for 3 seasons. They had no plans to offer him a contract after the new CBA. I wasn't aware they offered him a contract at all in 05, but based on Kovy's comments it probably was a rehash of the 04 offer. They were never going to offer him more than Recchi under any circumstances.

Signing high prices UFAs is a waste of $$$. The Pens would be more entertaining with Kovy, but they would still suck.

Uhhh. Thanks. That certainly cleared it up. :?
NIN

Postby Jim on Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:42 pm

You never know how lowball it was. THey gave Palffy $3.5m and he was "Plan B" Maybe that is what they offered Kovalev. Maybe $4m. Who knows. From Kovalev's quotes it is not like there was a bidding war for him.

I read that article and I do not get that the Penguins lowballed Kovalev... I get that the Canadians pulled a Rangers and over-offered, per the market.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FallenHero96 on Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:45 pm

It makes sense to me that CP wanted to go after other people first.... for instance, CP was said to have been talking to Forsberg. If CP needed to give a big contract to Forsberg, he wouldnt need to be singing Kovalev. Thats probably why Kovy didnt hear anything until late, after we lost Forsberg. But CP is still an idiot, he can throw 3.5 a year at palffy and a million at Roy but doesnt sign a fan favorite....
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby wondermoose on Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:14 pm

I'm really depressed after seeing that article.... We were so close to having him back. Kovy was my favorite Pen aside from Mario and was the hardest working man I've seen play the game in a long time. I didn't think much of CP before, but now I hate the guy.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby kovyman1127 on Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:30 pm

Not sure on this one....I think Kovy is overpaid at 4.5 million. But, Gonchar is REALLY overpaid.

So, IMO, I would have rather given Kovy 5 million to play here for ALL the different aspects he gives you (point man on PP, carries the puck up the ice on the PP, penalty killer, scoring winger w/Crosby, good locker room guy for next year for Malkin, ect) then given Gonchar 5 million to ummmmm.....ahhh....hook guys and pull them down.

All in all...CP has made so many mistakes, that if Mario wasn't the owner he would have been fired already.

I think too, in CP's heart, he either has lost his "fire" to be a GM anymore or he has been here too long and has gotten "too comfortable" knowing that he isn't going to be held accountable for his actions.

I think that his ship has come in. The fact that Ken Sawyer is avoiding the questions of resigning him this summer makes it all more the wonder. When Mario bought the team in 1999 he said "my 1st issue is to sign Craig" and then Craig said "I don't plan on going anywhere."

You sure don't hear that now this time around....
kovyman1127
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins