Another take on the Ovechkin Crosby Calder cup 'race'

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Another take on the Ovechkin Crosby Calder cup 'race'

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:07 am

Nothing new here really, but it's the first good multi-media report I've seen on both players.

http://proicehockey.about.com/gi/dynami ... p%23005858

I think it really makes the difference in the style of the two players standout.

On the two highlight videos (One for each Crosby and Ovechkin) the signature cut of each player says it all.

Ovechkin - The goal where he slides on his back and tips the puck in over his head.

Crosby - The Assist where he's on his knees crawling to the edge of the crease while still controling the puck.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby netwolf on Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:05 pm

Good stuff. I have been saying Ovechkin should and will win the Calder for a while, and that's no knock on Sid; Alex is just a better player right now. That said though, if Sid were two years older and as physically developed as Alex you would be seeing the same type of stuff out of him. The skill level of those two is pretty much even. Alex has a size advantage but Sid has better vision.

I think that report was a little biased though - Alex got way better music and more full-speed footage. And where was Sid's shootout winner on Theodore and his two slap-passes to Recchi against the Caps? Come on! Image
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:51 pm

netwolf wrote:Good stuff. I have been saying Ovechkin should and will win the Calder for a while, and that's no knock on Sid; Alex is just a better player right now. That said though, if Sid were two years older and as physically developed as Alex you would be seeing the same type of stuff out of him. The skill level of those two is pretty much even. Alex has a size advantage but Sid has better vision.

I think that report was a little biased though - Alex got way better music and more full-speed footage. And where was Sid's shootout winner on Theodore and his two slap-passes to Recchi against the Caps? Come on! Image

I heard someone make a good point the other day (Maybe it was an LGP poster - if so I'm sorry for not giving credit to you) but, Where was AO two years ago (When he was the age Sid is now?) Answer: He was scoring 23 points for the Moscow Dynamo.

Good things to come regardless of the outcome of the Calder cup.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Jim on Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:44 pm

Having seen AO live more than a handfull of times... He is a one-trick-pony.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jim on Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:54 pm

I just watched the videos. So was the Crobsy video done by someone that likes AO better? It's rather boring because they show too much time before and after whatever Crosby does. Do we need to see the other tram bring the puck down the ice before the Pens even get possession? Do we need to see the guys celebrate after the goals?

Have someone that actually thinks Crosby should win do the video.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jim on Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:58 pm

I bet you could also make a 5 minute vide of AO shooting and raising his arms to celebrate a goal... and then putting them down because the goali made the save...

The complete and OBVIOUS bias discrepency between these two videos is laughable.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jim on Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:05 pm

I just watched the Crosby video again... I think that Crosby's official song should be "The Game" from Metalhead (or at least the lead singer, I do not know if the whole band was involved in that song).

"It's all about the game and how you play it"
"I am the game!"

VERY nice!
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby netwolf on Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:06 pm

Jim wrote:I just watched the videos. So was the Crobsy video done by someone that likes AO better? It's rather boring because they show too much time before and after whatever Crosby does. Do we need to see the other tram bring the puck down the ice before the Pens even get possession? Do we need to see the guys celebrate after the goals?

Have someone that actually thinks Crosby should win do the video.

I am guessing here, but I don't think the author of the article made either video. I think they linked to them. Now as far as the author selecting them... he picked clips that back up his stance.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Psychlone on Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:15 pm

One big factor that I think gives the edge to Ovechkin is to compare the other players both rookies are surrounded with. Not that the Penguins have a ton of quality players now but Gonchar, Recchi, Leclair, Palffy are/were all All-Star caliber. Compare that to the average lineup for the Capitals, come on now it's not even close. To me, the fact that Ovechkin has been as dominant as he is when he's clearly playing on a team not laden with much individual talent speaks volumes. I still think Crosby is the better all around player now and will most likely have a better career but for the Calder race I think Ovechkin takes it easily.
Psychlone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:19 pm

Psychlone wrote:One big factor that I think gives the edge to Ovechkin is to compare the other players both rookies are surrounded with. Not that the Penguins have a ton of quality players now but Gonchar, Recchi, Leclair, Palffy are/were all All-Star caliber. Compare that to the average lineup for the Capitals, come on now it's not even close. To me, the fact that Ovechkin has been as dominant as he is when he's clearly playing on a team not laden with much individual talent speaks volumes. I still think Crosby is the better all around player now and will most likely have a better career but for the Calder race I think Ovechkin takes it easily.

This really doesn't matter. Ovechkin could be on the Sens and would play the exact same game he plays in Washington. He is a goal scorer pure and simple and goes for the one-on-one match ups and beats his guys. Sid is a playmaker and is a great passer already. If he has no one to finish he will not get assists.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins