The Dive of the Game...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby netwolf on Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:33 pm

I've read too much of it already. I want a refund. :P
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:53 pm

NIN wrote:You and Net need to read this whole thread before judgeing me.

Don't really have a desire to read the thread as it is based on a completely WRONG premise.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sigwolf on Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:09 pm

Wow, this is quickly becoming "Sabu" all over again...
Sigwolf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

NIN - right intent, wrong course of action

Postby pcm on Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:27 pm

An opponents stick lightly hits you in the face. If you slow down to feel for blood, the ref will notice and call a high-sticking penalty. Or, you could grin and bear it because the play is moving on, but the ref may not notice.

NIN is trying to bring to everyone's attention the small choices like this players must make throughout the game. He wishes to highlight the subtle skill players reveal when they artfully allow their body to go limp at the right time, or turn their back, or lock their legs ...actions that are meant to highlight rather than absorb the force of an opponent's hit, for the ref's eyes. Of course, as with an skill, some players are good at this and some are rather obtuse.

Unfortunately, NIN decided that 'dive' was the appropriate universal name for this skill through a semantic mishap on his part, hence the confusion. What he means to say is that the act of drawing a penalty is much more invloved than simply being the recipient of a slash.

Colby very well may have intended Kovalev to make some sort of infraction as the result of his play, seeing how kovalev was ready to leave the ice but still needed to defend the play. When Kovalev tackled Colby, Colby may have gone down with a knowing smile on his face. This is not a dive, but a well done drawing of a penalty.

Dive's are reserved for players who are bad at drawing penalties.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: NIN - right intent, wrong course of action

Postby NIN on Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:34 pm

pcm wrote:An opponents stick lightly hits you in the face. If you slow down to feel for blood, the ref will notice and call a high-sticking penalty. Or, you could grin and bear it because the play is moving on, but the ref may not notice.

NIN is trying to bring to everyone's attention the small choices like this players must make throughout the game. He wishes to highlight the subtle skill players reveal when they artfully allow their body to go limp at the right time, or turn their back, or lock their legs ...actions that are meant to highlight rather than absorb the force of an opponent's hit, for the ref's eyes. Of course, as with an skill, some players are good at this and some are rather obtuse.

Unfortunately, NIN decided that 'dive' was the appropriate universal name for this skill through a semantic mishap on his part, hence the confusion. What he means to say is that the act of drawing a penalty is much more invloved than simply being the recipient of a slash.

Colby very well may have intended Kovalev to make some sort of infraction as the result of his play, seeing how kovalev was ready to leave the ice but still needed to defend the play. When Kovalev tackled Colby, Colby may have gone down with a knowing smile on his face. This is not a dive, but a well done drawing of a penalty.

Dive's are reserved for players who are bad at drawing penalties.

Thank you for understanding my point of veiw but I still think your not seeing the whole picture. In order to glorify diving as a skill I first have to dispell the notion that diving is a bad thing. The term dive is a very negative one in hockey and they have a penalty for it and everything. Helping people to think of diving as a necessary skill just like shooting and skating can only be acheived if I bring the term diving into favor.

My hope is that someday the league will not only remove the ridiculous diving penalty altogether but maybe someday have a reward at the end of the season to recognize the leagues best player at Earning Power Play Time. Or the Earned Power Play Time (EPPT) statistic. Once people start thinking of diving diferently I will conceed my position and consider it as a less negative version of the word that is being used today.

I wont ever conceed that drawing penalties is any better than diving because that word means almost the exact same thing. Players that suck at diving (flopping all over the place like Malone and Tucker) should just be ignored and laughed at. There is no need for a penalty called the dive.
NIN

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins