What if?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

What if?

Postby Stevens25 on Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:37 am

The last few games the Pens have been great but I also started wondering...What if Mario Lemieux and/or Ziggy Palffy didn't retire untill the end of the year? Would they have made any difference? Let's say Mario came back heathly? If anything could Lemieux and Palffy helped Crosby run away with the rookie scoring lead?
Stevens25
 

Re: What if?

Postby Jamie on Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:15 am

Stevens25 wrote:The last few games the Pens have been great but I also started wondering...What if Mario Lemieux and/or Ziggy Palffy didn't retire untill the end of the year? Would they have made any difference? Let's say Mario came back heathly? If anything could Lemieux and Palffy helped Crosby run away with the rookie scoring lead?


No, No and No. For Mario, after the season started so poorly, he lost the drive to compete in my opinion. His illness had a huge part to do with that. This team was built in the off season to be a contender or at least a playoff team. When it was clear that the Pens were a bad hockey team, Palffy got out, and Mario followed shortly thereafter. I think that Ziggy will play again, just not for the Pens.

The goal is not to help Sid win the rookie scoring race. The goal is to improve the TEAM. This team improved the day of the trade deadline. Alot of garbage was shed and sent else where. The young guys now have a chance to grow together, and gel. We may not be a playoff team next season, but with a good draft and a couple of smart moves in the off season, I think we can get close, and be at the door step right down to the wire.
Jamie
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,062
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:04 pm
Location: Here or there

Postby Bowser on Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:16 am

A few if's would need major improvement...

If Mario Lemieux played like it was 2000-01
If Ziggy Palffy played like he was 25 years old
If Sergei Gonchar played like he did in Washington
If Mark Recchi shut his mouth and played good two-way hockey
If John LeClair was 6 years younger
If Andre Roy played like he did for Tampa Bay's Cup run
If Lyle Odelein was 15 years younger
If Lasse Pirjeta played like he did in the final ten games from last season
If Steve Poapst was... oh hell, he's never been a good defenseman

This season was destined to be a failure and a learning season for Crosby, Fleury and Whitney.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 7,963
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:08 am

Postby netwolf on Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:26 am

Bowser wrote:If Andre Roy played like he did for Tampa Bay's Cup run


Hey, he had a good scrap and scored the game-winning goal on a fake to the backhand that was so good, he even fooled himself! What more do you want?

:mrgreen:
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,349
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:04 am

Postby pfim on Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:47 am

netwolf wrote:
Bowser wrote:If Andre Roy played like he did for Tampa Bay's Cup run


Hey, he had a good scrap and scored the game-winning goal on a fake to the backhand that was so good, he even fooled himself! What more do you want?

:mrgreen:


That was a great, great goal.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,789
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:35 am
Location: Sitting in front of my computer


Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Wooav8tor and 9 guests

e-mail