If Naslund was available this offseason, would you want him?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

If Naslund was available this offseason, would you want him?

Postby Reilly on Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:56 am

Vancouver is having a down year. So is Markus. Assuming they don't make the playoffs I could see them blowing up the team and starting over. Naslund I believe has 2 years left on his deal at 6 million per year. The Pens have a lot of money left under the cap (like 25 million) and need a 1st line winger. I don't think he would cost that much to trade for giving his salary and production.

His Bio

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio ... hl-canucks

Now, if you even believe they should go after a top line winger this offseason (whether by trade or the free agent route), would they be better off signing somone to a long term deal (4 or 5 years) or trade for somoene with a a couple years left on their contract (Naslund).

Your thoughts?
Reilly

Postby NIN on Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:38 am

Funny story. I was on the air with MM right before the team with the winning lottery pick was announced. Freakin' hosers cut to a commercial right before it was announced, all for the sale of some Molson. Anyways, MM decided to kill some time by letting me yap and my question to him was, "Is there any chance at all for the Penguins to lure Naslund back this summer?".

Maddens respones was,"Imagine if you had a terrible car accident but survived. Then you moved away and became rich and successful and bought a Lexus to replace your old wrecked car. Would you drive right back to where the accident was?"

I said, "Not unless I had a gun to my head." and that was pretty much the conversation. His awnser was alittle cryptic to me because I always thought Naslund played very well here, especially when you consider the limitied amount of icetime that was available for him every game. He did pretty well for a young guy on Mario's line too.

All that MM meant was that Naslund had bad memories here for one reason or another and that he is much happier where he is now and would never want to leave and especially not if leaving meant he had to return here.

So would I love to have Naslund back here? HELL YES!! Do I think there is any chance of that happening? No, probably not.
NIN

Postby Bowser on Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:09 am

NIN - Naslund was a young player, who felt he was never going to get a fair shake on a veteran team in Pittsburgh. Naslund's trade value won't be very high because most NHL GMs know he's retiring sooner rather than later.

He's been very honest about his desire to retire in the NHL and play some in the Swedish Elite League.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Mad City Mike on Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:45 am

Not at $6 million a year, I don't.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jim on Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:55 am

People complained about Recchi and LeClair at $2.2m-ish. People complained about Palffy at $3.3m. People complained about Thibault at $1.5m. People complained about Gonchar at $5.5m. What do you think would happen if they brought in a $6m player?
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:05 am

Naslund won't be in a Penguins sweater ever again.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby alain blanc on Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:32 pm

It will be nice but i am not sure he wants
alain blanc

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins