Ryan Whitney, = Jekyll and Hyde and a little of the Gonch!

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Ryan Whitney, = Jekyll and Hyde and a little of the Gonch!

Postby Shinoix on Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:17 am

What the hell is with this kid? Some games you think he's breaking out and becoming that Defenseman we all hope he'll be.

Then he goes out and plays like he did against the Habs!

How many times did he try to outskate a Canadian around the net with the puck, only to be checked from behind and it resulted in a scoring chance? In fact I believe it caused a goal once. He's not fast, he's got to move the puck, that's his strength, the first pass! He shouldn't be trying to be Bobby Orr. I think it happened 3 times last night where he was being pursued from behind and tried to elude the Dman by going around the net....only to be checked.

Secondly, when will he ever get a shot through from the point? I've never seen a defenceman get so many shots blocked in my life. He either misses the net, wide, or fires it 3 feet high. That is when he's not having his shot blocked. This kid could have so many goals this year if he could hit the net consistently. I just cringe when he gets the puck back there. He can't take one timers to save his life either. He either fans on it, or just wires it by everyone's head. Shoot the puck LOW!! You're an NHL defenceman, this should be something you mastered in college!!

Some games he'll look great, and I'll be pretty excited, other games it's like WTF is he doing out there?

Nice to see Gonchar's effort has picked up immensely. Although I'm having a problem when he carries the puck up the ice. He's starting to do that quite well, but then he hits the blueline and everything goes for a **** fromthere. He'll make moves up the ice, but once he crosses the blueline, he just stops, tries to sluff it off, or lazily dumps it in. Problem being, he's slowed everyone down by skating it through the neutral zone so slow, and we have no forecheck. Why can't he continue to make a few more moves across the line? I dno't get it!! It's like he just loses his game completely once he crosses the blueline.

By no means am I trying to rain on our parade lately, because i'm extremely happy with our wins, and our speed and effort. But the above two things have really been bothering me lately.
Shinoix

They all looked sluggish last night

Postby Rychster on Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:30 am

Talk about a poorly executed game. Very sloppy out there last night. Very few crisp passes by anyone, shots were missed, fanned on, whatever. MAF saved the day 10 fold. We got enough goals miraculously but all in all it was a very sloppy game by the Pens.

I'll take the win however we can get it though :)
Rychster
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Ryan Whitney, = Jekyll and Hyde and a little of the Gonc

Postby The Snapshot on Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:12 am

Shinoix wrote:What the hell is with this kid? Some games you think he's breaking out and becoming that Defenseman we all hope he'll be.

Then he goes out and plays like he did against the Habs!

How many times did he try to outskate a Canadian around the net with the puck, only to be checked from behind and it resulted in a scoring chance? In fact I believe it caused a goal once. He's not fast, he's got to move the puck, that's his strength, the first pass! He shouldn't be trying to be Bobby Orr. I think it happened 3 times last night where he was being pursued from behind and tried to elude the Dman by going around the net....only to be checked.

Secondly, when will he ever get a shot through from the point? I've never seen a defenceman get so many shots blocked in my life. He either misses the net, wide, or fires it 3 feet high. That is when he's not having his shot blocked. This kid could have so many goals this year if he could hit the net consistently. I just cringe when he gets the puck back there. He can't take one timers to save his life either. He either fans on it, or just wires it by everyone's head. Shoot the puck LOW!! You're an NHL defenceman, this should be something you mastered in college!!

Some games he'll look great, and I'll be pretty excited, other games it's like WTF is he doing out there?

Nice to see Gonchar's effort has picked up immensely. Although I'm having a problem when he carries the puck up the ice. He's starting to do that quite well, but then he hits the blueline and everything goes for a **** fromthere. He'll make moves up the ice, but once he crosses the blueline, he just stops, tries to sluff it off, or lazily dumps it in. Problem being, he's slowed everyone down by skating it through the neutral zone so slow, and we have no forecheck. Why can't he continue to make a few more moves across the line? I dno't get it!! It's like he just loses his game completely once he crosses the blueline.

By no means am I trying to rain on our parade lately, because i'm extremely happy with our wins, and our speed and effort. But the above two things have really been bothering me lately.

He's just a young guy struggling to be consistent. Nothing more. He's not making those errors in judgement because of anything but inexperience.

He's so much faster than Gonchar, that when he develops consistency, he can be a Norris candidate. I think that his best moments these games compare favorably to any defenseman's skill set in the entire league.

I'm by no means guaranteeing that he will EVER be 100% consistent in his play, but his potential is awesome.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Steve on Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:13 am

He's making alot of rookie mistakes out there....oh wait.....

he struggled his first year with the baby pens, once he adjusted he was fine

i really can't believe some pens fans are already writing him off (i don't mean the posters above) - i think he's going to be an excellent defensman for the Pens.

let's go Pens!
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jamie on Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:24 pm

Steve wrote:He's making alot of rookie mistakes out there....oh wait.....

he struggled his first year with the baby pens, once he adjusted he was fine

i really can't believe some pens fans are already writing him off (i don't mean the posters above) - i think he's going to be an excellent defensman for the Pens.

let's go Pens!

Nobody is writing him off. Everyone is just pointing out his bad play of late. And it has been bad, very bad. His decision making when he has the puck has been terrible. He made a couple of real bad passes last night, that led to turnovers and quality scoring chances against us.
Jamie
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby guiner on Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:51 pm

I was going to post something very similar last night. Especially regarding the attempted one man breakouts with guys on his back.

However, offensively. Hard to knock that. He did score and was very very aware of Aebesher out of net when he quick snapped one off the post.

g
guiner
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby jmh70 on Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:35 pm

I don't know what Whitney is thinking when he tries to dangle with the puck in his own end when he should be distributing. I guess he is doing his best Gonchar impression.

However, he is still the best defenseman on the team when carrying the puck up ice at full speed. I am waiting for his shot to improve.
jmh70

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:47 pm

guiner wrote:I was going to post something very similar last night. Especially regarding the attempted one man breakouts with guys on his back.

However, offensively. Hard to knock that. He did score and was very very aware of Aebesher out of net when he quick snapped one off the post.

g

I have to admit, I'm really not paying alot of attention to this aspect of his game. Is it possibe that who ever he's paired with isn't coming back to help him out and that's why he's trying to do it all on his own?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins